Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2019, 10:34 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,652,683 times

Advertisements

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/l...508354021.html

What are your thoughts? I don't understand why one would move to DC where people have been having their go-go music play daily, move to a new luxury condo across the street, then complain about it and sue to silence people in their own neighborhood. Did these new owners not research the area before moving in or scope it out to see how it would be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2019, 10:39 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,465,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post

What are your thoughts? I don't understand why one would move to DC where people have been having their go-go music play daily, move to a new luxury condo across the street, then complain about it and sue to silence people in their own neighborhood. Did these new owners not research the area before moving in or scope it out to see how it would be?
This is what happens when snowflakes move into the neighborhood.

Old 04-10-2019, 11:47 AM

37,898 posts, read 42,033,653 times
Quote:

They do it because they can, and they know they will get their way.

Old 04-10-2019, 02:32 PM

409 posts, read 335,176 times
I'm not a Go-Go fan but that's messed up. Some people move into a city environment and expect it to be like the quiet Potomac River suburbs and get mad when music is being played in the neighborhood. It's kinda stupid.

Old 04-11-2019, 08:00 AM

596 posts, read 730,863 times
Quote:

Sounds like entitled brats have yet again moved into a neighborhood and decided that the long term residents now need to change to appease the newcomers, rather than them trying to fit into the culture of an already established neighborhood. It actually pisses me off, and I don't even listen to go-go. Like Mutiny77 said, they do it because they can.

Old 04-11-2019, 08:37 AM

291 posts, read 635,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbsnm View Post
Sounds like entitled brats have yet again moved into a neighborhood and decided that the long term residents now need to change to appease the newcomers, rather than them trying to fit into the culture of an already established neighborhood. It actually pisses me off, and I don't even listen to go-go. Like Mutiny77 said, they do it because they can.
If anyone's curious about what kind of attitude allows this kind of petty, farcical nonsense to take place take a gander at some of the top comments from this article from the Post yesterday (4/10/19)...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...=.77271e082be4

"I am glad that I do not live in a neighborhood where I am forced to listen to music I do not want while I am in my own home. I hope that there are no newborns, elderly, or anyone who works the night shift near this store."

"I happen to enjoy the Rolling Stones and Bach, but I wouldn't want "Satisfaction" or some partitas blaring from loudspeakers down the street. In this day and age, if you're into go-go, you can easily enjoy it 24/7 in part by walking around with earphones. I get that that's not what protesters are after, but it's called CIVILITY. if that's a cultural matter, than so be it."

"Injecting "gentrification" into this was a complete red herring. Nobody, regardless of their socioeconomic status, should have noise foisted upon them in their own homes."

"I favor shutting down the music. No one should be subjected to listening to the music choices of others. I try to avoid department stores for that reason. I hate listening to the loud and annoying music they play. Instead, I shop online whenever I can. Supermarkets are the same. Gas station also. This trend of subjecting people to music all the time needs to reverse course."

These kind of self-righteous litigious sorts are who is taking over DC. They often couch their bullying as moralism in matters great and small. They're not interested in history, context, compromise or any other mitigating factor that might get in their way. Apparently this all started when a resident at a newly minted nearby condo development, "The Shay", complained to T-Mobile, the new owners, and threatened to sue over the music. The company then forced the store to shut the music down.

https://dcist.com/story/19/04/08/sha...ic-owner-says/

This was just a particularly gross and obvious example of gentrification run rampant. No one is saying that the music shouldn't be at a reasonable volume, that needs of residents shouldn't be addressed. What's particularly repulsive about this episode was how rich, powerful and predominately white newcomers set the agenda and didn't bother to work with the city or the store and figured they could just bulldoze their way through the system. Of course this was not just about the store or the music. Truth be told, the gentrifiers probably only needed to wait the store out for the next 5-10 years while the neighborhood changed and the store eventually closed down for economic reasons and the building would've been turned into another doggy day care/yoga,pilates,zumba studio/artisanal coffee shop/Food Network star outpost. Now, however, it's a visible cause célèbre and the store won't be going anywhere anytime soon.

Old 04-11-2019, 09:45 AM

F_ them

These snowflakes parents moved out of the city back in the sixties so their kids wouldn't get shot at in the suburbs. Now their kids want to return and call the shots. I say f_ 'em.

And what do they get in the suburbs? The same heroin and violence that their parents fled from. Some things never change.

Last edited by goofy328; 04-11-2019 at 09:54 AM..

Old 04-11-2019, 09:57 AM

American cities are going to do with their poor like they did people in The Hunger Games. It's already happening.

Old 04-11-2019, 06:22 PM

409 posts, read 335,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyo321 View Post
If anyone's curious about what kind of attitude allows this kind of petty, farcical nonsense to take place take a gander at some of the top comments from this article from the Post yesterday (4/10/19)...

"I am glad that I do not live in a neighborhood where I am forced to listen to music I do not want while I am in my own home. I hope that there are no newborns, elderly, or anyone who works the night shift near this store."

"I happen to enjoy the Rolling Stones and Bach, but I wouldn't want "Satisfaction" or some partitas blaring from loudspeakers down the street. In this day and age, if you're into go-go, you can easily enjoy it 24/7 in part by walking around with earphones. I get that that's not what protesters are after, but it's called CIVILITY. if that's a cultural matter, than so be it."

"Injecting "gentrification" into this was a complete red herring. Nobody, regardless of their socioeconomic status, should have noise foisted upon them in their own homes."

"I favor shutting down the music. No one should be subjected to listening to the music choices of others. I try to avoid department stores for that reason. I hate listening to the loud and annoying music they play. Instead, I shop online whenever I can. Supermarkets are the same. Gas station also. This trend of subjecting people to music all the time needs to reverse course."

These kind of self-righteous litigious sorts are who is taking over DC. They often couch their bullying as moralism in matters great and small. They're not interested in history, context, compromise or any other mitigating factor that might get in their way. Apparently this all started when a resident at a newly minted nearby condo development, "The Shay", complained to T-Mobile, the new owners, and threatened to sue over the music. The company then forced the store to shut the music down.

This was just a particularly gross and obvious example of gentrification run rampant. No one is saying that the music shouldn't be at a reasonable volume, that needs of residents shouldn't be addressed. What's particularly repulsive about this episode was how rich, powerful and predominately white newcomers set the agenda and didn't bother to work with the city or the store and figured they could just bulldoze their way through the system. Of course this was not just about the store or the music. Truth be told, the gentrifiers probably only needed to wait the store out for the next 5-10 years while the neighborhood changed and the store eventually closed down for economic reasons and the building would've been turned into another doggy day care/yoga,pilates,zumba studio/artisanal coffee shop/Food Network star outpost. Now, however, it's a visible cause célèbre and the store won't be going anywhere anytime soon.
I don't know if this is just because I haven't been to a lot of places yet in my life but I feel like DC is one of the only major cities in the country where this s#$t constantly happens. I don't imagine NYC, LA, Chicago or hell even SF gentrifiers pulling off something like that. It could be the industries that dominate the city or the transient nature of the white collar class, idk.

I love DC but sometimes s@$t like this makes me wonder. Some gentrifiers seem to be in over their heads in the city. But at least the store got to play the go-go music again.

Old 04-12-2019, 06:32 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,652,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyo321 View Post

Yeah it's the elitist attitude that I've noticed taking over the city a while ago. People come here thinking they're ish dont stink and they're better than everyone else. It's definitely a certain undertone to the entire thing. The comments in the post article make me laugh.

And that's the other problem. So far, I can see if they were turning these buildings where several people eat,sleep, and breathe in daily to turn it into something important. But all they're going to most likely do is either A) Tear down the PCS building to build more luxury condos or B) Turn the space into another Cava or Shake Shack.

I just don't understand how you move into a neighborhood that you KNOW people congregate at daily, you don't scope out the area to see what life is like there before signing to buy it, yet when you move in, you're entitled to create a new way of living because you don't like something. These are the same people who brag about moving to DC to "be around culture" yet complain about culture they don't like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC