Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2019, 11:40 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,391,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evelyn2019 View Post
But if D.C. was so dangerous, why did so many decide to relocate to the City? Why didn't they stay in the suburbs of VA and MD or remain in the Midwest?
Easy, and I can tell you why I moved to SW DC. Because it had gentrified and I wasn’t afraid to walk outside at night. I was told not long ago it was crack heads and prostitution’s and that’s where people in Capitol Hill went to buy drugs. I can say I wouldn’t have moved There then.

I wouldn’t have chose to relocate to DC if I planned on living in the suburbs. The suburbs in DC aren’t as nice as the sunbelt ones on top of being more expensive, less amenities and more 1970’s brutalist crap versus the new and shiny sunbelt cities with all the “live/work/play” type shopping centers. I would’ve chose another safe, yet large, city I could enjoy without fear of being shot or Mugged.

I personally would never live in MD or VA. I would choose another city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2019, 12:05 PM

124 posts, read 65,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Easy, and I can tell you why I moved to SW DC. Because it had gentrified and I wasn’t afraid to walk outside at night. I was told not long ago it was crack heads and prostitution’s and that’s where people in Capitol Hill went to buy drugs. I can say I wouldn’t have moved There then.

I wouldn’t have chose to relocate to DC if I planned on living in the suburbs. The suburbs in DC aren’t as nice as the sunbelt ones on top of being more expensive, less amenities and more 1970’s brutalist crap versus the new and shiny sunbelt cities with all the “live/work/play” type shopping centers. I would’ve chose another safe, yet large, city I could enjoy without fear of being shot or Mugged.

Have you ever visited the inner VA or MD suburbs? I live in Old Town, Alexandria and absolutely love the location, due to the many amenities. The community is extremely walkable and only 6 miles from Ronald Reagan National Airport.

Once my lease ends, I plan to purchase a condo in DC --near the Nationals' Park. If I do relocate to the area, I will add value, by embracing the many cultural traditions. My mindset differs from many, possibly because I'm black American and was raised to embrace and respect diversity of culture, customs and traditions.

Old 05-12-2019, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evelyn2019 View Post
Have you ever visited the inner VA or MD suburbs? I live in Old Town, Alexandria and absolutely love the location, due to the many amenities. The community is extremely walkable and only 6 miles from Ronald Reagan National Airport.

Once my lease ends, I plan to purchase a condo in DC --near the Nationals' Park. If I do relocate to the area, I will add value, by embracing the many cultural traditions. My mindset differs from many, possibly because I'm black American and was raised to embrace and respect diversity of culture, customs and traditions.
I work in Tyson’s and have been to most of the suburbs. Alexandria is the only tolerable one for me. I’m not black but I value the same things you do. I guess I would add I appreciate immigrants and newcomers. There’s nothing more I couldn’t stand in the South than people who resented Northerners moving down and changing the culture. In fact, I imagine the vast majority of VA resents NoVa for literally changing the political composition of the entire state. I imagine you don’t lament People moving to NoVa, changing the culture of VA, etc.

The 2016 map of VA:

Old 05-12-2019, 03:42 PM

2,021 posts, read 4,613,071 times
Quote:

You just lost all credibility with this post. Talk about 'suburban' - You live in SW DC (assuming near the Navy Yard) which is largely one of the most generic, sterile brutalist architecture (L'Enfant/ Federal ctr or all the square box buildings that have gone in past 5 years) 'planned' neighborhoods in DC. The Buffalo Wild Wings or Gordon Biersch or Whole Foods in your neighborhood is the exact same one as any in suburban Fairfax or elsewhere in the USA. Many of the restaurants there have existing locations in other neighborhoods in DC. I live in the 'suburbs' of Arlington but have at least lived in actual neighborhoods in DC such as Bloomingdale and Mount Pleasant. So have many orher Arlington residents. SW is largely suburban DC just in DC on the waterfront with a more organized street grid. You clearly should get out of District lines a little more.

Last edited by NOVAmtneer82; 05-12-2019 at 03:54 PM..

Old 05-12-2019, 04:55 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,741,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAmtneer82 View Post
You just lost all credibility with this post. Talk about 'suburban' - You live in SW DC (assuming near the Navy Yard) which is largely one of the most generic, sterile brutalist architecture (L'Enfant/ Federal ctr or all the square box buildings that have gone in past 5 years) 'planned' neighborhoods in DC. The Buffalo Wild Wings or Gordon Biersch or Whole Foods in your neighborhood is the exact same one as any in suburban Fairfax or elsewhere in the USA. Many of the restaurants there have existing locations in other neighborhoods in DC. I live in the 'suburbs' of Arlington but have at least lived in actual neighborhoods in DC such as Bloomingdale and Mount Pleasant. So have many orher Arlington residents. SW is largely suburban DC just in DC on the waterfront with a more organized street grid. You clearly should get out of District lines a little more.
You are about three years behind on the SW Waterfront and Capitol Riverfront. There are tons of restaurants opening there and on the way from internationally renowned famous chefs. Michael White already has two restaurants there. Danny Meyer is on his way there. There are tons of places at the Wharf and places coming to Buzzard Point.

This is a fight you won’t win. That area of DC is going to have some of the best restaurants in the entire city across Buzzard Point, Navy Yard, and the Wharf. DC is only going to get better and better in every part.

You either live in the city or you don’t. If you live in Arlington, you don’t live in the city, you live in the suburbs. People in DC don’t go to Arlington just like people in NYC don’t go to Jersey.

Old 05-12-2019, 08:47 PM

6,787 posts, read 4,230,123 times
Plenty of DC people in Pentagon City mall. Not that anyone asked them to come...

Old 05-12-2019, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
Plenty of DC people in Pentagon City mall. Not that anyone asked them to come...

Omg. It’s a frickin’ mall. Of course people from DC would go there if they needed to go to a mall..

The length it takes just to walk across the bridge, end to end, from VA to DC, I could nearly walk all the way to Gallery Place.

Old 05-12-2019, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Omg. It’s a frickin’ mall. Of course people from DC would go there if they needed to go to a mall..

The length it takes just to walk across the bridge, end to end, from VA to DC, I could nearly walk all the way to Gallery Place.
Yeah well clearly DC people do go to Arlington for things like shopping, and I personally know a good few people who do so for work as well. I dont know what walking has to do with anything though...most people dont walk everywhere...people drive or use the bus or rail.

Regarding Southwest, I spent a few hours walking around there just a few weeks ago and the gentrified part of it certainly has a very Arlington vibe to it. So do many of DC’s newly developed areas..and why should one be surprised...its the same developers with the same concepts trying to attract the same crowd. There isnt a huge difference between the built up parts of Arlington and the gentrified sections of inner DC in demographics or typical amenities.

In fact, I will tell you this...I drive through upper NW all the time and now that actually feels like the suburbs ie McLean or Potomac far more so than central Arlington does.

Old 05-12-2019, 10:26 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,741,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
Yeah well clearly DC people do go to Arlington for things like shopping, and I personally know a good few people who do so for work as well. I dont know what walking has to do with anything though...most people dont walk everywhere...people drive or use the bus or rail.

Regarding Southwest, I spent a few hours walking around there just a few weeks ago and the gentrified part of it certainly has a very Arlington vibe to it. So do many of DC’s newly developed areas..and why should one be surprised...its the same developers with the same concepts trying to attract the same crowd. There isnt a huge difference between the built up parts of Arlington and the gentrified sections of inner DC in demographics or typical amenities.

In fact, I will tell you this...I drive through upper NW all the time and now that actually feels like the suburbs ie McLean or Potomac far more so than central Arlington does.
The easiest way to tell you aren’t in Arlington when visiting areas in DC is the vibrancy on the street. Arlington will never be vibrant like DC and never be diverse like DC either. It’s a typical suburb with suburban people.

Old 05-13-2019, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
The easiest way to tell you aren’t in Arlington when visiting areas in DC is the vibrancy on the street. Arlington will never be vibrant like DC and never be diverse like DC either. It’s a typical suburb with suburban people.
Not exactly. It has a lot more young unmarried people than any typical suburb. Its also more built up. With regard to diversity...the Navy Yard area feels as white and yuppie as Clarendon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC