Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 09:54 AM

610 posts, read 1,100,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeteoMan View Post
We get those thick comments on UK weather forums too.

We don't have a real summer here anyway, but you get nonsense like this:

Im hopeing for a repeat of 1816 - "the year without summer"!

Ah a man after me own heart. Wish all years would come without a summer. How neat would that be?

Well, the "year without a summer" happens every year in places like Nuuk, Reykjavik, Torshavn, Antarctica, and various other places. Nothing to stop you getting off your arse and walking in that general direction. You may need a rubber dinghy for the watery bits..... derp de herpy derpy.

As for Manila, it does seem pretty hot even for where it is located. The overnight lows are not even that nice to me. Would prefer a bit more moderation/variation. Obvissly, I don't find it the worst climate in the world, and clearly the OP would realise that places like Kuwait and Mecca are far worse in the heat stakes, if trying to make a point that it's Manila's heat that makes it the worst.
A 24-26 degrees low is normal for southeast asia and it is quite cool for them. I agree that Manila is far from the worst if judged by heat. When it comes to heat, the worst are Ahvaz and Kuwait City. Their highs average 46c and their lows are a "cool" 30c. If you're unlucky you might stumble upon a 35c low. In 17 July, the low for Ahvaz was 99f (37c). That's higher than the highs for hot days in Manila (usually 34-36c).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 06:36 PM

242 posts, read 261,814 times
I fail to see how a 24-26C low would be considered "cool" by anyone. Kuwait City actually averages 44C in July.

Old 04-15-2014, 07:22 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,740,561 times
^ When the daily averages were 25-27 in Manila this past January & February, people were actually complaining about how cold it was. Some nights got down to 16 though, and I can see how that's cold to them

Old 05-19-2014, 05:53 AM

391 posts, read 753,348 times
I grew up in Malmö, Sweden. Our weather is pretty much as depressing as it can get.
I'm sure there are worse places...but Manila is 100x better than this:

Malmö - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

169 rainy days a year. Lucky if I see the sun more than 10 days a year.
On top of that it's cold as hell. But not cold enough for snow. Instead the temperature
usually is around 0 degrees. And since it almost always rains, you can't wear a thick
jacket since it's going to get destroyed in the rain. Instead you have to freeze your ass off
in a raincoat.

When it comes to heat though, there are far worse places than Manila. Bangkok is one of them.
I remember I was in Turkey in the middle of July. My plane landed 02.00 in the morning and it
was 44 degrees outside!

Now that's crazy. Felt like stepping out of the plane and into a sauna.

Last edited by svedski; 05-19-2014 at 06:40 AM..

Old 11-21-2014, 08:33 PM

3,212 posts, read 3,173,082 times
Not even close. Tropical climates are actually one of the best climates for human existence. Abundance warm rain provides natural water supply, great vegetation, and keeps the temperatures from getting excessively hot. Worse are hot deserts. Even worse are climates with very cold winters. Worst of all are tundra or polar climates with no growing season resulting in no vegetation.

Old 11-21-2014, 08:55 PM

1,284 posts, read 1,010,598 times
I would give Metro Manila's climate a C-. Its familiarity is its drawback and its advantage.

Old 11-21-2014, 10:36 PM

11,650 posts, read 12,941,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrandNewWorld View Post
Not even close. Tropical climates are actually one of the best climates for human existence.
Not really. Most of the world's poorest countries are situated in the tropics. Most successful empires have either been in the subtropical or temperate regions.

Last edited by Ethereal; 11-21-2014 at 11:15 PM..

Old 11-21-2014, 10:47 PM

1,284 posts, read 1,010,598 times
BTW, which month in which climate is reminiscent of April in Manila?http://www.wunderground.com/history/...lyHistory.html

Old 09-21-2016, 09:27 AM

22 posts, read 19,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hells Kitchen View Post
Cities with worse climates than Manila:

Anchorage
Winnipeg
London
Montreal
Toronto
Vancouver
Boston
Chicago
Seattle
Minneapolis
Melbourne
Auckland
Christchurch
Harbin
Moscow
Copenhagen
Oslo
Helsinki
Stockholm
Brussels
Berlin
Hamburg
Paris
St Petersburg
Irkutsk
Hobart
Wellington
Bariloche
Saskatoon
Edmonton
Calgary
Toronto
Buffalo
Cleveland
Pittsburgh

etc
etc
etc
etc etc etc etc

How bout the town of Wyndham, Australia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wyndham...hy_and_climate

Winter lovers need not apply
Much of the cities on your list have incredibly nice climate.. Some of them have mild weather year-round, others being truly 4 season with hot and humid summer and cold winter (like NYC).. I live in tropical climate whole my life (Jakarta) i kinda feel bored about it..just hot weather and rainy weather.. Never get cold or atleast mild weather... Theres nothing to wait here.. If u live in temperate area, there's always something to wait every season.. Like snow in the winter, bloomed flower in spring, hot day summer, and see the leaves falling down in autumn.. While here, u can only expect rain and hot and flood and muggy.. I know there's plus living in tropical climate, like having amazing food with a lot of spices that grow only in tropical climate, do not bother about cold weather..

Old 09-21-2016, 09:34 AM

22 posts, read 19,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
Not really. Most of the world's poorest countries are situated in the tropics. Most successful empires have either been in the subtropical or temperate regions.
That's because, people living here are too chill because the nice climate and everything is provided by nature.. So people not really think about making technology that could create something for their life.. I always wonder people shouldn't be lived because it's too rich and if human live there, they're always exploring which destroy the nature.. I think people should live above 10°N or below 10°S..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather