Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one is more subtropical
Wellington, NZ 1 5.26%
Atlanta, GA 16 84.21%
Both in their way 2 10.53%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2024, 07:47 PM

388 posts, read 97,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subtropical-is-temperate3 View Post
Come to Alabama, Georgia, or Florida pure sun burn in sunny days, even in winter I feel sun bite in the 3! Now that I think about it maybe I would not wear sweaters much often because in the time is summer in NZ it’s winter here, so being used to colder weather NZ will feel warm compared to winter.
I never got sunburn living in Singapore and Malaysia that I can remember, and like Alabama, Georgia, Florida, one can get sunburn here in winter, so there are factors at work other than than just latitude, imo.

You would just be like everyone else here in summer -acclimatised to the climate. No shortage of Americans around here, and they don't go around wearing sweaters all summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2024, 04:32 AM

6 posts, read 4,056 times
Dear Sandshark: where is "here"? It surely cannot be much warmer than Wellington? Which is of a summer temperature most reminiscent of that in Denmark.

Old 04-19-2024, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulven View Post
Dear Sandshark: where is "here"? It surely cannot be much warmer than Wellington? Which is of a summer temperature most reminiscent of that in Denmark.
Here is the northern South Island, about 150 km west of Wellington.

Colder than Wellington in all seasons, but regarded as a nicer and warmer climate than Wellington.

My viewpoint concerns the environment, as I see subtropical as a term as best pertaining to environment/ecology rather than climate - in that regard, Denmark relates more to Atlanta than Wellington.

Last edited by sandshark; 04-19-2024 at 05:30 AM..

Old 04-19-2024, 08:08 AM

142 posts, read 33,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandshark View Post

Colder than Wellington in all seasons, but regarded as a nicer and warmer climate than Wellington.

My viewpoint concerns the environment, as I see subtropical as a term as best pertaining to environment/ecology rather than climate - in that regard, Denmark relates more to Atlanta than Wellington.
No Atlanta is different from both it can’t relate much to non.

Old 04-19-2024, 08:14 AM

Atlanta’s ecology is subtropical, it is starting area of the native range of sabal minor. Amd the dormancy, the days it reaches 20°C or above in Atlanta’s winters bugs come out some flowers grow and it is interrupted, that does not happen in Denmark or NZ. NZ is constant in temperatures so dormancy is low and constant there, making growing season continue. Denmark is a complete other side of the climate zone of oceanic so it’s different, and NZ being lower latitude makes the environment different. Like Subtropical-is-temperate3 said, which I agree, climate classification describes broader climate, environment describes local climate. In the case of NZ the enviroment is not adapted to dormancy.

Old 04-19-2024, 08:15 AM

Quote:
I never got sunburn living in Singapore and Malaysia that I can remember, and like Alabama, Georgia, Florida, one can get sunburn here in winter, so there are factors at work other than than just latitude, imo.

You would just be like everyone else here in summer -acclimatised to the climate. No shortage of Americans around here, and they don't go around wearing sweaters all summer.
You should go to Myanmar bro, hell! Americans? What Americans? From the southeast? Don’t think so. Also remember that in NZ’s summer is winter in US, so no American will feel cold but rather warmth.

Old 04-19-2024, 08:26 AM

5,730 posts, read 3,510,184 times
Quote:

I'm with you on a lot of these threads, but this seems like a stretch. Each of the three seem to be distinct, like the vertices of an equilateral triangle.

Old 04-19-2024, 09:18 AM

23,460 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesja View Post
Atlanta has no winter.

Chicago has four seasons. Atlanta does not. It’s a 3 season climate.
Uh, no.

Atlanta's winter may be of shorter duration (Mid-December - Mid-March), but it's definitely there. It's normally characterized as being mild relative to the northeast US, with a couple of 'cold snaps' (usually caused by the 'Arctic Express' coming down from the Appalachians) matched by some Fall-like warm spells (usually in mid or late February). Warmer temperatures and the Spring blooms begin in earnest about mid-March, but in anticipation of the occasional rogue frost (less and less a possibility these days thanks to climate change) the average Atlantan holds off on planting annuals until mid-April.

Old 04-19-2024, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Uh, no.

Atlanta's winter may be of shorter duration (Mid-December - Mid-March), but it's definitely there. It's normally characterized as being mild relative to the northeast US, with a couple of 'cold snaps' (usually caused by the 'Arctic Express' coming down from the Appalachians) matched by some Fall-like warm spells (usually in mid or late February). Warmer temperatures and the Spring blooms begin in earnest about mid-March, but in anticipation of the occasional rogue frost (less and less a possibility these days thanks to climate change) the average Atlantan holds off on planting annuals until mid-April.
Northeast? What about Midwest, Minnesota is very very cold. People from Minnesota winters go to New England in winter and feel it mild. That is a real continental climate. Massachusetts is really just a bordering area of Cfa, Dfa, Cfb, Dfb the 4 bordering each other, and it is where the temperate and continental climates meet. In East Coast the northernmost city that qualifies as humid subtropical in probably Gloucester, MA, but it is practically cold in winter.

Old 04-19-2024, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climatepolice48 View Post
You should go to Myanmar bro, hell! Americans? What Americans? From the southeast? Don’t think so. Also remember that in NZ’s summer is winter in US, so no American will feel cold but rather warmth.
You want names? Had a friend North Carolina and a neighbour from Florida, who both lived here, but would go back to the US at times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climatepolice48 View Post
Atlanta’s ecology is subtropical, it is starting area of the native range of sabal minor. Amd the dormancy, the days it reaches 20°C or above in Atlanta’s winters bugs come out some flowers grow and it is interrupted, that does not happen in Denmark or NZ. NZ is constant in temperatures so dormancy is low and constant there, making growing season continue. Denmark is a complete other side of the climate zone of oceanic so it’s different, and NZ being lower latitude makes the environment different. Like Subtropical-is-temperate3 said, which I agree, climate classification describes broader climate, environment describes local climate. In the case of NZ the enviroment is not adapted to dormancy.
That also doesn't happen in Coffs Harbour, or Durban - so you are really saying that there isn't such a thing as a subtropical environment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
I'm with you on a lot of these threads, but this seems like a stretch. Each of the three seem to be distinct, like the vertices of an equilateral triangle.
NZ is the one that is most distinct, with dormancy not a feature.

Last edited by sandshark; 04-19-2024 at 01:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather