Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one is more subtropical
Wellington, NZ 3 11.54%
Atlanta, GA 21 80.77%
Both in their way 2 7.69%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2024, 01:59 PM

2,386 posts, read 1,888,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climatepolice48 View Post
Northeast? What about Midwest, Minnesota is very very cold. People from Minnesota winters go to New England in winter and feel it mild. That is a real continental climate. Massachusetts is really just a bordering area of Cfa, Dfa, Cfb, Dfb the 4 bordering each other, and it is where the temperate and continental climates meet. In East Coast the northernmost city that qualifies as humid subtropical in probably Gloucester, MA, but it is practically cold in winter.
Northern New England is as cold as most places in the upper Midwest and totally different from coastal MA or southern NE climates.

Minneapolis MN: Average Temperature: 46.7

Bangor, ME: Average Temperature: 45.0

Montpelier, VT: Average Temperature: 42.6

Berlin NH: Average temperature: 42.5

Fargo, ND: Average Temperature: 42.2

Caribou, ME: Average temperature: 40.7

Compared to:

Providence, RI: Average Temperature: 52.1

New Bedford, MA: Average Temperature: 52.4

Plymouth, MA: Average Temperature: 52.5

Bridgeport, CT: Average Temperature: 53.4

The difference between northern and southern NE can be 10 degrees or more average temperature. this is a substantial difference. Similar to the difference between southern New England and the south.

Raleigh, NC: Average Temperature: 61.2
Athens, GA: Average Temperature: 63.0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2024, 05:17 PM

485 posts, read 113,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
Northern New England is as cold as most places in the upper Midwest and totally different from coastal MA or southern NE climates.

Compared to:

The difference between northern and southern NE can be 10 degrees or more average temperature. this is a substantial difference. Similar to the difference between southern New England and the south.

I think climatepolice48 refers to winters specifically.

Old 04-19-2024, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandshark View Post
You want names? Had a friend North Carolina and a neighbour from Florida, who both lived here, but would go back to the US at times.

That also doesn't happen in Coffs Harbour, or Durban - so you are really saying that there isn't such a thing as a subtropical environment.

NZ is the one that is most distinct, with dormancy not a feature.
I, like climatepolice believe the environment of Atlanta is subtropical. NZ’s environment is adapted to no dormancy while Atlanta is, but their environments though different doesn’t mean one is more subtropical than the other. Oh please go more inland in Australia before hitting the semiarid climates in the subtropics, you will see the difference between coastal Australia and New Zealand. Same goes to Atlanta, if you go to the nearest coast in Savannah area and South Carolina there is barely dormancy and climate grows many exotic species naturally. Well for some reason I call most of NZ pre-tropical oceanic while places like London pre-continental. Atlanta is just entering the pre-continental part of humid subtropical in my description of Köppen more adapted to environment.

I guess the people who come from North Carolina and Florida are happy there because there is not heat to struggle. Infact the complaints of those people is heat in their native areas not cold, so they must be happy in NZ with no much heat and less possibility of cold snaps.

Old 04-19-2024, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post

Compared to:

That’s another reason I believe that New England is where humid subtropical and continental climates, and Southern midwest too.

Old 04-19-2024, 06:03 PM

444 posts, read 127,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subtropical-is-temperate3 View Post
I, like climatepolice believe the environment of Atlanta is subtropical. NZ’s environment is adapted to no dormancy while Atlanta is, but their environments though different doesn’t mean one is more subtropical than the other. Oh please go more inland in Australia before hitting the semiarid climates in the subtropics, you will see the difference between coastal Australia and New Zealand. Same goes to Atlanta, if you go to the nearest coast in Savannah area and South Carolina there is barely dormancy and climate grows many exotic species naturally. Well for some reason I call most of NZ pre-tropical oceanic while places like London pre-continental. Atlanta is just entering the pre-continental part of humid subtropical in my description of Köppen more adapted to environment.

I guess the people who come from North Carolina and Florida are happy there because there is not heat to struggle. Infact the complaints of those people is heat in their native areas not cold, so they must be happy in NZ with no much heat and less possibility of cold snaps.

They didn't come for the climate, and they didn't like the summer sun. But overall they liked the climate - like most people they were acclimatised to the climate they live in, not the climate the came from, so were just as capable as complaining about the heat as the average NZer.

I think one of the climates (Wellington/Atlanta)will be more subtropical than the other, but not necessarily just the one with the warmest winter - after all, the Scilly Isles has a warmer winter than my winter, but I don't see it's environment as being more subtropical. In the case of Wellington and Atlanta, I don't believe the cool summers of Wellington would cancel out as much biodiversity, as the colder snaps of Atlanta.

Old 04-19-2024, 06:35 PM

Quote:
[/b]

They didn't come for the climate, and they didn't like the summer sun. But overall they liked the climate - like most people they were acclimatised to the climate they live in, not the climate the came from, so were just as capable as complaining about the heat as the average NZer.

I think one of the climates (Wellington/Atlanta)will be more subtropical than the other, but not necessarily just the one with the warmest winter - after all, the Scilly Isles has a warmer winter than my winter, but I don't see it's environment as being more subtropical. In the case of Wellington and Atlanta, I don't believe the cool summers of Wellington would cancel out as much biodiversity, as the colder snaps of Atlanta.
I believe in climate classification, but that the environment is different is definitely the local climate not broader. Isles of Scilly is oceanic and same hardiness zone as Wellington, not bad they can grow various things, but the environment is different, also summers are even cooler there too due to higher latitude, also way less sunshine and that high latitude no sun bite, so of course it’s different, also there is more dormancy in Isles of Scilly though in winter it can be green, at least greener than mainland England which is not green.

Personally I wish I went to an oceanic climate but that can grow bunch if tropical vegetation and oranges. It is like escaping the heat from my subtropical nearly tropical climate taking oranges and vegetation with me, so NZ for me sounds like an occasional escape when I can’t survive. I love hot humid summers, but just for few weeks, after that I wish for pure winter. I never complain in spring or fall, it is just amazing, NZ sounds like a dream.

The reason I brought them together is because I new they where debatable, Atlanta’s climate is like a middle point subtropical, while Wellington’s environment has lots of biodiversity, it’s oceanic but quite debatable.

Old 04-19-2024, 06:54 PM

444 posts, read 127,336 times
Quote:
I believe in climate classification, but that the environment is different is definitely the local climate not broader. Isles of Scilly is oceanic and same hardiness zone as Wellington, not bad they can grow various things, but the environment is different, also summers are even cooler there too due to higher latitude, also way less sunshine and that high latitude no sun bite, so of course it’s different, also there is more dormancy in Isles of Scilly though in winter it can be green, at least greener than mainland England which is not green.

Personally I wish I went to an oceanic climate but that can grow bunch if tropical vegetation and oranges. It is like escaping the heat from my subtropical nearly tropical climate taking oranges and vegetation with me, so NZ for me sounds like an occasional escape when I can’t survive. I love hot humid summers, but just for few weeks, after that I wish for pure winter. I never complain in spring or fall, it is just amazing, NZ sounds like a dream.

The reason I brought them together is because I new they where debatable, Atlanta’s climate is like a middle point subtropical, while Wellington’s environment has lots of biodiversity, it’s oceanic but quite debatable.
It isn't debatable that Wellington is oceanic imo - it's heavily moderated in all seasons due directly to maritime influence, and falls well under warm summer thresholds.

As there is no such thing as an oceanic environment, it can't be said to have one - there is clearly a subtropical environment though, which is a spectrum going from cold induced seasonal slowdown, to no temperature effect on growth/activity, at all.

Old 04-19-2024, 11:04 PM

865 posts, read 716,364 times
Quote:

Agreed.

Atlanta, Dallas, and Charleston are in the smack middle of subtropical. DC and Busan are on the cold end of Subtropical, with New York and Budapest being on the border with continental (but still Humid Subtropical). Brisbane and Orlando are on the warm end of subtropical, with Asuncion and Naha being on the border with Tropical.

Old 04-20-2024, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey the Otter View Post
Agreed.

Atlanta, Dallas, and Charleston are in the smack middle of subtropical. DC and Busan are on the cold end of Subtropical, with New York and Budapest being on the border with continental (but still Humid Subtropical). Brisbane and Orlando are on the warm end of subtropical, with Asuncion and Naha being on the border with Tropical.
NYC is not borderline, the 0°C has no effect on climate line the -3°C, but true being borderline under the 0°C they are still practically in borderline side under the -3°C, so which ever it is that is around end. Tampa is more borderline than Orlando. Btw with the UHI I think Vienna makes it under the 0°C isotherm too, it’s because it’s original oceanic climate is becoming humid subtropical due to summers warming with the UHI. Just because 0°C is the point of freezing doesn’t make the average of a month 0°C have any effects, the -3°C has more effects on snowpack duration and frozen ground, but I still see 0°C isotherm as another option. Seoul and Boston instead of NYC and Busan I believe. I am surprised South Korea can border continental climates on the -3°C isotherm on the 37th parallel, that is crazy, in US you would need to go to the 40th parallel to get that, example Pittsburgh is 40.4°N and Indianapolis 39.76°N.

Last edited by Subtropical-is-temperate3; 04-20-2024 at 08:27 AM..

Old 04-20-2024, 07:37 AM

Quote:
It isn't debatable that Wellington is oceanic imo - it's heavily moderated in all seasons due directly to maritime influence, and falls well under warm summer thresholds.

As there is no such thing as an oceanic environment, it can't be said to have one - there is clearly a subtropical environment though, which is a spectrum going from cold induced seasonal slowdown, to no temperature effect on growth/activity, at all.
Well Atlanta has a humid subtropical environment, or what is the environment continental, no. No matter the environment of Wellington that doesn’t make Atlanta’s environment not be subtropical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather