Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one is more subtropical
Wellington, NZ 3 11.54%
Atlanta, GA 21 80.77%
Both in their way 2 7.69%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2024, 07:53 AM

2,386 posts, read 1,888,721 times

Advertisements

this week would be the DOG DAYS of summer for Wellington. The hottest week of the year material.. it's April and we call this a nice week in Spring lol

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2024, 07:55 AM

6,904 posts, read 4,374,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB365 View Post
Hmmm....I checked 1991-2020 Normals for DC Reagan Airport....

Average April high is 20C

Average May high is 24.7C

Average June high is 29.5C

So....26-27C is normal for late May/early June...

Pretty typical for April?.....yeah sure....but even parts of southern Canada can and do get 26-27C days in April...

It's forecast to hardly go above 20C the rest of April after today. It's warm phases mixed with cool phases here all the way into mid-May. 26-27C isn't 'typical' until the last week of May or so, that poster is being very disingenuous (probably on purpose). Before then you can have these days, maybe even 3-4 of them in a row, but you'll also get sub-20C days pretty frequently.

Old 04-18-2024, 11:42 AM

485 posts, read 114,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
It's forecast to hardly go above 20C the rest of April after today. It's warm phases mixed with cool phases here all the way into mid-May. 26-27C isn't 'typical' until the last week of May or so, that poster is being very disingenuous (probably on purpose). Before then you can have these days, maybe even 3-4 of them in a row, but you'll also get sub-20C days pretty frequently.
Already it went up to 27°C a few weeks earlier in DC.

Old 04-18-2024, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandshark View Post
My September is 3C warmer than DC's March, but DC's April is 2C warmer than my October.

Certainly not the hot summer of DC, but I'm guessing the summer sun in DC lacks the bite of here, from what I've been told.
UV index in DC summers is average 10, in NZ is usually 11, do slightly higher I would say.

Old 04-18-2024, 11:44 AM

Quote:
I've heard people say this before on here, but I doubt you would wearing a sweater here in summer in reality.
I even did in Atlanta a day in July with a high of 25°C, so I could in NZ.

Old 04-18-2024, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB365 View Post
Hmmm....I checked 1991-2020 Normals for DC Reagan Airport....

Average April high is 20C

Average May high is 24.7C

Average June high is 29.5C

So....26-27C is normal for late May/early June...

Pretty typical for April?.....yeah sure....but even parts of southern Canada can and do get 26-27C days in April...
DC can get 27°C in February some years, Canada anywhere struggles above 18°C in February. DC is actually far from Canada and way warmer. I went in early May one year and it was hot already like 30°C, while in Windsor same time of the year it was highs 17°C.

Old 04-18-2024, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
this week would be the DOG DAYS of summer for Wellington. The hottest week of the year material.. it's April and we call this a nice week in Spring lol
Here in FL it’s not that bad now, though yesterday was 30°C, right now it’s 28°C. Today Atlanta, GA will be warmer than here, it is grabbing on to summer characteristics in which Atlanta can get hotter than here and similar humidity. Right now it’s not that humid here. The place I fear is Southern Texas it can get 35°C even in February with heat index up to 41°C, well just a few days after deep frost!

Old 04-18-2024, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
I meant to say it is typical to the warm days, today will reach 31°C in Atlanta, is that the normal, no really but as a warmer spring day it is, the average high of April in Atlanta is 23°C, here in St. Petersburg FL is 27°C average hogh for April, so yoday and yesterday reaching 30°C are warmer days but they are normal as them. I don’t understand why people confuse these

Old 04-18-2024, 12:46 PM

445 posts, read 128,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subtropical-is-temperate3 View Post
I even did in Atlanta a day in July with a high of 25°C, so I could in NZ.
I think you would be just like everyone else here -I work with people from places like Vanuatu, Samoa, Tonga, Malaysia, and they certainly don't go around wearing sweaters all summer.... actually they work completely covered to avoid the sun, but change into regular summer clothing once they finish work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
Have you ever been to the US Southeast in summer?
No. I have experienced Southern California in late May and was surprised at the lack of bite in the sun. Even Palm Springs was fine. Lived in Singapore and can't recall the sun at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subtropical-is-temperate3 View Post
UV index in DC summers is average 10, in NZ is usually 11, do slightly higher I would say.
Although I don't associate the sun that feels the harshest with the days that have the highest UVI, although they sometimes do.

I think of the harshest suns days as being the driest days with a southerly airflow.

Old 04-18-2024, 07:16 PM

Quote:
I think you would be just like everyone else here -I work with people from places like Vanuatu, Samoa, Tonga, Malaysia, and they certainly don't go around wearing sweaters all summer.... actually they work completely covered to avoid the sun, but change into regular summer clothing once they finish work.

No. I have experienced Southern California in late May and was surprised at the lack of bite in the sun. Even Palm Springs was fine. Lived in Singapore and can't recall the sun at all.

Although I don't associate the sun that feels the harshest with the days that have the highest UVI, although they sometimes do.

I think of the harshest suns days as being the driest days with a southerly airflow.
Come to Alabama, Georgia, or Florida pure sun burn in sunny days, even in winter I feel sun bite in the 3! Now that I think about it maybe I would not wear sweaters much often because in the time is summer in NZ it’s winter here, so being used to colder weather NZ will feel warm compared to winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather