Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 05:40 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,856,463 times

Advertisements

I have experience in both the public and private sector, and they're about the same. I have never worked at a job anywhere where at least one of my coworkers wasn't someone's brother, sister, son, cousin, or friend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2016, 09:18 PM

12,893 posts, read 9,145,695 times
Let's play 20 questions. Did Walter288 get passed over for a promotion?

Old 09-13-2016, 03:35 AM

3,657 posts, read 3,300,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Leaf View Post
I came across this story and it just about made me sick! As if affirmative action weren't enough,
You just lost your credibility. AA has been a great help to encourage organizations to seek people to hire they would otherwise not make the effort to even find. And no, I've never seen anyone hired who was a minority who wasn't qualified for the job. But I guess it is easier to just make Trump-like statements than work on actual facts and how much AA has helped an entire generation of people.

Old 09-13-2016, 04:48 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,472,727 times
There I disagree. Hiring or not hiring someone because of their race is racism. Racism is deplorable.

Old 09-13-2016, 07:01 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,090,190 times
I work in the public sector and we have a small number of family members who work for the agency. As a percentage of our worktorce it is about 2-3%.

However, a huge number of our applicants (10-20%) check the box on the employment applications saying that they do have a relative currently employed with us. Every time we have an opening, people send the info to their family and friends, so the applicant pool is a bit tilted, although not through any agency effort.

We interview fairly and most family members don't make the cut. Those that do are fully qualified.

Old 09-13-2016, 03:49 PM

12,893 posts, read 9,145,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
You just lost your credibility. AA has been a great help to encourage organizations to seek people to hire they would otherwise not make the effort to even find. And no, I've never seen anyone hired who was a minority who wasn't qualified for the job. But I guess it is easier to just make Trump-like statements than work on actual facts and how much AA has helped an entire generation of people.
A. The person you were replying too was four years ago.

B. But, to your point, yes, I have seen unqualified and less qualified individuals hired because of it. While I've seen hires made for both racial and gender reasons, the most blatant was due to gender. "Is there a female on the list?" "Yes." "Hire her, then we don't have to waste time interviewing and no one can argue about the choice."

Old 09-13-2016, 08:34 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,877,428 times
Quote:
But, you did not state "best qualified"...

Who do you want doing heart surgery on you; a person qualified for the job, or the person that was the best qualified? You do not need to answer.

Old 09-13-2016, 09:02 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,575,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
But, you did not state "best qualified"...

Who do you want doing heart surgery on you; a person qualified for the job, or the person that was the best qualified? You do not need to answer.
The most "skilled" doctor maybe drunk... the best qualified would be the person that isn't and still qualified...

There are always exceptions to "best", and just like life, skill level is not the sole mean to judge qualifications

Old 09-14-2016, 12:33 AM

3,093 posts, read 1,695,378 times
Nepotism exists where I work (city government). But the only problem I have with it are the efforts that applicants waste in applying/interviewing for those jobs that have someone selected already.

Old 09-14-2016, 01:15 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,482,448 times
Quote:
Exactly. Without affirmative action, people would hire those who they can "relate" to, and it generally correlates with those who come from the same background. I work for an employer that historically has very little diversity. We're talking less than 25%. So if 25% or less of the workforce is underrepresented minorities, the other 75% is white people. Pretty skewed numbers. Without affirmative action, that 75% would be even higher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment