Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 09:18 PM

1,195 posts, read 990,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Leaf View Post
I came across this story and it just about made me sick! As if affirmative action weren't enough, apparently nepotism is another obstacle to get around and from talking to others I've heard it's rampant in the pubic sector.

I once worked as a private contractor at a government agency and I found it odd that, with all the test and strict hiring practices, there were so many employees that had sisters, uncles, cousins all working at the same department, it all makes sense now.

"
When Sacramento County advertised three openings for stationary engineers in March, 55 people applied for the jobs paying $68,500 annually plus health and retirement benefits.
One job was given to the son of Jeff Gasaway, who runs the county's facility and property services, the division that was hiring. Another job was given to the son of Larry Vice, who heads two sections in the division."

Today I received an email saying I didn't make the cut for one of the transit operator positions. The email said "more qualified candidates" which sounds crappy to me, considering how they empathized how they hire everyone. I think it was just a front to put people off guard. I guess several years of customer service and a CDL isn't relevant to the position? And the fact there were several veterans applying, who get preference. And maybe it was that I circled "other" for my race, which isn't as good an answer as "native american" or "african american" or any other race that's non-white (I'm half white and honest about it).

I went there for a video test, which I know I scored very high on. I'm not saying I scored the highest, but what ticks me off is how the guy who interviewed me was so full of crap. I think he knew who was getting hired before I even stepped into the room. He asked why I was interested in the position. I said "obviously the benefits... ::: he cuts me off:::... " he wasn't interested in my response, he cut me off and said he'll let me test (as if he's doing me a favor). Way too much of the video was a preface of an attorney warning the viewers about copyright infringement, since they believe their video/tests are so wonderful, if only somebody was testing them on if they hire based on merit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2019, 02:01 AM

23,456 posts, read 19,122,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kynight View Post
Today I received an email saying I didn't make the cut for one of the transit operator positions. The email said "more qualified candidates" which sounds crappy to me, considering how they empathized how they hire everyone. I think it was just a front to put people off guard. I guess several years of customer service and a CDL isn't relevant to the position? And the fact there were several veterans applying, who get preference. And maybe it was that I circled "other" for my race, which isn't as good an answer as "native american" or "african american" or any other race that's non-white (I'm half white and honest about it).

I went there for a video test, which I know I scored very high on. I'm not saying I scored the highest, but what ticks me off is how the guy who interviewed me was so full of crap. I think he knew who was getting hired before I even stepped into the room. He asked why I was interested in the position. I said "obviously the benefits... ::: he cuts me off:::... " he wasn't interested in my response, he cut me off and said he'll let me test (as if he's doing me a favor). Way too much of the video was a preface of an attorney warning the viewers about copyright infringement, since they believe their video/tests are so wonderful, if only somebody was testing them on if they hire based on merit.
Without proof none of your suspicions are worth a dime.

You weren't selected. Attitude and accusations won't do anything but make you look like a pouting child.

Old 01-24-2019, 03:16 AM

863 posts, read 982,842 times
Local government here where I live and many towns in NJ hiring is "friends and family" and you have to have a connection to get a local government job. It is one of the perks of being the Mayor is that you get to give out jobs and the only few that got jobs with the town were a couple of token minorities that they had to hire to keep potential lawsuits away.

Old 01-24-2019, 05:52 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,246,492 times
Not just nepotism, but also cronyism as well.

Tons of "patronage" jobs are in the government. Even if they're ordinary government jobs. These tend to be job postings for 1 particular job.

There are ways around this, when looking for jobs in the government. Look for agencies who post mass-hiring job postings. "vacancies in 25 different locations" and be ready to relocate to one of those locations if necessary. Choose a location you want to go in, or choose one just to get in, then transfer to someplace better. Hint: Don't choose DC NYC, Hawaii, Alaska, or west coast. The high cost of living makes entry level pay disappear fast.

Old 01-24-2019, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterchef1 View Post
Local government here where I live and many towns in NJ hiring is "friends and family" and you have to have a connection to get a local government job. It is one of the perks of being the Mayor is that you get to give out jobs and the only few that got jobs with the town were a couple of token minorities that they had to hire to keep potential lawsuits away.
I would feel better with this if they didn't deny and lie about it.

Old 01-24-2019, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
Not just nepotism, but also cronyism as well.

Tons of "patronage" jobs are in the government. Even if they're ordinary government jobs. These tend to be job postings for 1 particular job.

There are ways around this, when looking for jobs in the government. Look for agencies who post mass-hiring job postings. "vacancies in 25 different locations" and be ready to relocate to one of those locations if necessary. Choose a location you want to go in, or choose one just to get in, then transfer to someplace better. Hint: Don't choose DC NYC, Hawaii, Alaska, or west coast. The high cost of living makes entry level pay disappear fast.
Good ideas. I was looking at BP agent and tsa etc, haven't decided yet.

Old 01-24-2019, 03:24 PM

104 posts, read 85,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Leaf View Post
I came across this story and it just about made me sick! As if affirmative action weren't enough, apparently nepotism is another obstacle to get around and from talking to others I've heard it's rampant in the pubic sector.

I once worked as a private contractor at a government agency and I found it odd that, with all the test and strict hiring practices, there were so many employees that had sisters, uncles, cousins all working at the same department, it all makes sense now.

"
When Sacramento County advertised three openings for stationary engineers in March, 55 people applied for the jobs paying $68,500 annually plus health and retirement benefits.
One job was given to the son of Jeff Gasaway, who runs the county's facility and property services, the division that was hiring. Another job was given to the son of Larry Vice, who heads two sections in the division."

[LEFT]
Read more here: The Public Eye: Two Sacramento County job openings go to sons of higher-ups - The Public Eye - The Sacramento Bee
[/LEFT]
Sounds like my workplace. Then when a non-relative is hired, they last only a little while until the boss can get her friends or family to work here.

Old 01-29-2019, 10:20 AM

6,382 posts, read 2,939,072 times
Mod cut.

Every government job I was in had someone's relative in a job somewhere.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 01-31-2019 at 09:14 PM.. Reason: Orphaned (reference to comment which has been deleted).

Old 01-29-2019, 11:32 AM

35,167 posts, read 31,475,700 times
It's very common in my local school district. I know several husband/wife combos where one got a job in the district, then the other gets one.

Old 01-29-2019, 12:15 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,573,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
It's very common in my local school district. I know several husband/wife combos where one got a job in the district, then the other gets one.
Even with the shutdown, why do people think federal employees are different than anyone else? Like how frd employees living paycheck to paycheck isn't any different

Why are people shocked that couples work together in a workplace? You guys never saw it in your private sector jobs?

Knowing someone that knows how to navigate the application process helps. If one spouse knows the system, why wouldn't they help the other one if they are qualified for the job?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment