Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 08:56 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,348,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by corydon View Post
As a truck driver it was somehow just impossible to take a few days off.The owner, a multi millionaire never takes a day off, his wife complained about it to me, and others as well.
I went on vacation and really, after 2 hours got a call, the load MUST go....
And I did it, the pay was extremely good.
At 56 i got a heart attack.... Now i am on disability.. In the beginning I didn't like it, now I love it. Have been 4 times to Europe.... a month every time....

They got something I don't have, money, but I got something they never will have.
Time. Time to do whatever I wanna do.

Those who think money buys happiness will never know happiness......
If it cant be done in an 8 hour day
It aint worth doin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2016, 09:04 PM

12,869 posts, read 9,089,277 times
This

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
I never could take more than about 1 week off at a time because we had to keep the project on schedule. Nobody else could do my job. They hired just enough people to get things done. If I took more than a week off, it would be almost impossible to catch up when I returned.

and this

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
My problem is that since I'm the only one who actively processes cases in two systems in my department, whenever I'm out I am going to come back to a crapload of cases since no one else is assigned the tickets. That makes me very hesitant to take vacation for more then a couple of days. Thankfully my work has slowed down enough I took the next two days off to go to shows.
pretty much describe my workplace. No one covers for anyone when they're gone because everyone is overtasked as it is. If I take off for a week, I'm working OT for the next two-three weeks to recover the lost workload. You actually begin to dread vacation because of what will await you upon return.

Old 12-21-2016, 09:07 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,348,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
This

and this

pretty much describe my workplace. No one covers for anyone when they're gone because everyone is overtasked as it is. If I take off for a week, I'm working OT for the next two-three weeks to recover the lost workload. You actually begin to dread vacation because of what will await you upon return.
Please tell me at least you are paid for every hour you work including overtime

Old 12-21-2016, 09:18 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,557,978 times
I'm part of a trade union. I told my supervisor I'm taking off the entire week between Christmas and New Years even though they are working.

Even if he decided to lay me off (which I could solicit my Union to contest if I chose) I can just take a call and make at least the same minimum wage (of $28 an hour), and receive the same health benefits somewhere else.

Really looking forward to spending time with my family.

Old 12-21-2016, 10:46 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,390,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I think for most the reason would be closely related to number two, where there is fear of taking any extended time off due to being perceived as a slacker or someone not dedicated. Probably even some indirect pressure from boss about not taking time off.

This is what our employment culture has come down to. Those taking vacation are viewed with contempt, while those not are viewed as solid and hard working, dedicated team players.

To hell with that. I take long multi week vacations every year, end of year when things slow down at work. I don't take any time off during the year though as I like to save up for one long one.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/3...151532904.html

Next time why don't you just tell us what the three reasons are instead of making us research the issue?

Old 12-22-2016, 12:24 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,928,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
I get 7 wks a year and take most of it. I work my butt off when I'm here and don't think about it when I'm not. I have worked other places that didn't agree with that mentality and where I didn't take a vacation for years despite working 80-100hr wks. But life's too short of that and I no longer care what people think. My team and I all take a couple weeks off a couple times a year and cover for each other during it and I have also learned how to say no and cut myself off at 45/50 hours on a bad week.
100 hour weeks? What are you, a medical resident? That's five 16-hour days plus two ten-hour days a week.

Old 12-22-2016, 04:48 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,916,483 times
What a crock article.

#fakenews

It CLEARLY says, of that universe, the MAJORITY of people are rolling over some days until the next year. EVERYONE I KNOW at the phone company attempts to do this when they reach enough seniority to qualify for 3 wks or more.

Yet it gaslights the employee by saying:

Even Americans lucky enough to have paid time off are foregoing valuable vacation days to spend more time at the office, a national Bankrate survey of 1,000 employees shows.

NO. They are not foregoing the days "to spend more time at the office". They are SAVING THEM FOR A BETTER PLAN THE FOLLOWING YEAR.

First, because they like taking a week in the first quarter when it's crappy outside without cutting into their vacation for the year in the more enjoyable weather or holiday weeks like Xmas.You don't even need to take a real week if you have seniority; you can get away with only 3 or 4 days in weeks with a company holiday. OR they want one large block of time. Maybe they're going to visit family. Maybe it's not even in America. Maybe they want to work on their new house and get major projects done without spreading it out over several weekends.

Elsewhere on CD you see threads of people bemoaning that a European vacation not being possible because one or even two weeks is inadequate. So what now? They're workaholics because they want to save a week for a better vacation the next year???

The article EVEN goes as far as to hold those people suspect "(Though, who knows? They may have said that last year too.)"

Yeah, so what? Maybe they did. You only have to accrue your first YEAR then you have the carryover "free week" forever.

Stop trying to make the EU happen in America.

We already have 95 million people out of the workforce.

The media is so corrupt. Everywhere you turn.

Oh wait. The author is a 2012 college grad. And calls herself a "quick-thinking journalist" in her bio.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 12-22-2016 at 04:59 AM..

Old 12-22-2016, 06:01 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,065,579 times
The main reason I would take only a day or two vacation at a time was because my workload sat (and grew) until I returned. Returning from a one or two week vacation resulted in extreme stress attempting to get caught up while the boss continually hassled me to get caught up. The 'vacation glow' was destroyed the first ten minutes back at work. No thanks.

Old 12-22-2016, 06:19 AM

26,701 posts, read 41,779,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoStars View Post
Please tell me at least you are paid for every hour you work including overtime
Very few are once you get into management salary. I'm super lucky my position is hourly.

Old 12-22-2016, 06:30 AM

35,105 posts, read 31,373,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
Would they rather people take half of December off like I have to do because I'd lose it anyway?

I need 1 week mid-year for kids vaca and that's about it really. I actually like my job and it's about zero stress.

oh money buys plenty of happiness when you're younger. I think when people retire they have a different mindset which is fine, but it doesn't invalidate what money can do for people.
I'm one of these people that do not like to take off in the winter, unless I am going to Florida or something. Short days and a soggy, unusable mess in most of the country are not my thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment