Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2016, 09:04 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,802,578 times

Advertisements

Taking vacations was never a work related issue. The three reasons I find it hard to leave town is Howie, Joe Joe Nightmare, and Monsoon. Nobody takes care of my babies the way I do. Who will be there to cover them up at night?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2016, 11:01 AM

1,818 posts, read 2,686,536 times
My boss did away with paid vacation time, personal time, and holiday pay over four years ago. This is a professional office.

We are being audited every year because our bookkeeper is a single lady and cannot afford unpaid time off with only one paycheck. Apparently this is a red flag with IRS and other accounting/auditors (a bookkeeper that never takes time off).

I am so fed up with working all the time and no time off. The good part of it is that I am saving money like mad and hope by this time next year, I will no longer have to work.

Old 12-22-2016, 11:14 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,718,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
I worked for a large international electronics company as an engineer in product development.

I never could take more than about 1 week off at a time because we had to keep the project on schedule. Nobody else could do my job. They hired just enough people to get things done. If I took more than a week off, it would be almost impossible to catch up when I returned.

I was always jealous of my team mates in Germany. There, they shut everything down for the month of August. Everybody took time off. Nobody got behind schedule because the project was halted.

The Germans are good at figuring these things out.
Because Americans treat workers like slaves, atleast Germans know the value of letting workers take a break and gives lots of value in return with a well rested work force.

If only American companies are like sports teams where you need to rest players for the purpose of being at optimal performance. US companies only values those that show up.

Old 12-22-2016, 11:20 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,347,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Because Americans treat workers like slaves, atleast Germans know the value of letting workers take a break and gives lots of value in return with a well rested work force.

If only American companies are like sports teams where you need to rest players for the purpose of being at optimal performance. US companies only values those that show up.
It really depends on the company you work for and generally the team you are in.

Example: working for a school district that has a team of 50 computer technicians its easy to take time off since its a non profit and others can cover for you while you are away.

Example 2: Working for a start up or a company that opens 24/7 if you are the only system admin/network that has the access and keys to the systems, you can bet you will kiss your time off goodbye and be a total miserable slave.

Old 12-22-2016, 11:25 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,791,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I think for most the reason would be closely related to number two, where there is fear of taking any extended time off due to being perceived as a slacker or someone not dedicated. Probably even some indirect pressure from boss about not taking time off.

This is what our employment culture has come down to. Those taking vacation are viewed with contempt, while those not are viewed as solid and hard working, dedicated team players.

To hell with that. I take long multi week vacations every year, end of year when things slow down at work. I don't take any time off during the year though as I like to save up for one long one.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/3...151532904.html
My company just took away our vacation pay, sick and paid holidays off....When I get my hip repaired, I'm going to be leaving that place quick.

Old 12-22-2016, 11:29 AM

221 posts, read 184,073 times
I worked at a couple of places where my work wouldn't get done at all if I wasn't there.

Taking a full week's vacation meant working a hectic 75-80+ week to tie all loose ends and get everything caught up before leaving, followed by another stressful 75-80+ work week upon returning to fix all my co-worker's screw ups and problems which came out of nowhere the week before on top of my regular duties.

It got so bad that it would take me a day or two into that week's vacation to fully unwind and relax, and then stressing out on my final day of vacation thinking of all the crap that would get thrown at me. Not to mention the phone calls I would get from the office during my vacation.

It took me a long time afterwards to get over my fear of taking too much time off from work.

Old 12-22-2016, 11:45 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,433,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
Your 4 trips to Europe must have cost quiet lot of money & I am sure those trips brought you happiness. Money has a factor in happiness as well The key is balance
I am from the Netherlands, now a US citizen. Sleep and stay with friends and family.
Also, when buying a ticket, it cost me less than 600 for a round trip. The lowest was $388.00 from Toronto to Amsterdam. I did drive my car to Toronto, got time on my hand.

Money is a factor offcourse,without it wouls be just a dream. But my house is paid, car is paid, no credit cards. So, my biggest bill is health insurance.

Old 12-22-2016, 12:06 PM

35,087 posts, read 31,331,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoStars View Post
It really depends on the company you work for and generally the team you are in.

Example: working for a school district that has a team of 50 computer technicians its easy to take time off since its a non profit and others can cover for you while you are away.

Example 2: Working for a start up or a company that opens 24/7 if you are the only system admin/network that has the access and keys to the systems, you can bet you will kiss your time off goodbye and be a total miserable slave.
This was how things operated at my immediate prior employer. IT operations was a four person department plus the manager, and we covered everything for the business, as it was a 24/7 business. The CIO had to help move desktops in preparation for an office move.

It was a ton of hours and the hourly rate was just pathetic once you counted in all the unpaid OT.

Old 12-22-2016, 12:47 PM

2,819 posts, read 2,586,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
I am surprise so many posters said they get 4weeks, 5 weeks, 6 weeks and someone said 7 weeks vacation, in USA? Is this right? IS this normal? Only few years ago 2 weeks was the starting vacation time for everyone. I know many company, including mine, made adjustment and now gives 3 week starting vacation but we cap out at 6 weeks and one only gets 6 weeks at 30 year. No one is working 30 year in same company anymore. Even 5 weeks is not attained until 20 years of work at same place. I am impress all these companies out there are giving out 5+ weeks of vacation without asking for crazy amount of years of service in same place.

I never give up vacation but I do feel guilty if I take more than a week at a time. I feel it inconvenient to my coworkers/boss/customers & like other mentioned the work load just sits there waiting for me to get back. It is hard to cover 1 month or several weeks of back up work plus I feel guilty when a project could not move forward because I am not available but my work is not that hardcore & in last few years I have learned to take long vacations end of year. I still don't do it middle of year. Nothing more than a week

the 2nd issue is, vacation (true vacation) cost lot of money. I don't think I can afford hotel + airfare for more than a week. You are looking at $1000+ per person for a week. So I spent most of my vacation taking a day off here, a day off there to catch up on doctors appointment, spa date or day at mall. One night in hotel can cover 3 spa appointment cost.

Average Americans make 50K/household. that is not enough income to afford weeks long vacation cost.
Many nonprofit/public sector jobs give ample vacation to make up for salary deficiencies. It's also fairly common for hospitals to give their employees ample time off so they actually stay home when sick. The job that I'm starting next month has state benefits which starts at almost 7 wks vacation and you can ultimately earn up to 9 or 10 I think. I forget the exact accrual rate or when it increases but I think every 5 years.

By contrast I used to get 2-3 weeks that I couldn't even taken for the first 8 or 9 years I was working in the private sector.

I take vacation and stay at home sometimes. It's nice to be home while kids are in school and your spouse is working to get stuff done around the house. Other times we travel to visit family where all we pay is gas and food costs. For true vacations we use airbnb and go inexpensively most of the time. Cook in and only go out for drinks or maybe one meal a day.

Old 12-22-2016, 01:01 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,347,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
Many nonprofit/public sector jobs give ample vacation to make up for salary deficiencies. It's also fairly common for hospitals to give their employees ample time off so they actually stay home when sick. The job that I'm starting next month has state benefits which starts at almost 7 wks vacation and you can ultimately earn up to 9 or 10 I think. I forget the exact accrual rate or when it increases but I think every 5 years.

By contrast I used to get 2-3 weeks that I couldn't even taken for the first 8 or 9 years I was working in the private sector.

I take vacation and stay at home sometimes. It's nice to be home while kids are in school and your spouse is working to get stuff done around the house. Other times we travel to visit family where all we pay is gas and food costs. For true vacations we use airbnb and go inexpensively most of the time. Cook in and only go out for drinks or maybe one meal a day.
Great perks
Public sector is the way to go generally.

I think we are mostly talking about private sector jobs.

Some people cant get public sector jobs at the moment
While some do

I generAlly do not trust a place that is open 24 hours a day or a startup to offer good vacation time or to even encourage it

It generally depends on the place

Also it seems salaried employees fall as a victim of this problem if im correct
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment