Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2020, 01:21 PM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,067,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
If you could learn nearly as well that way as going to school, sure. I don't learn that way very well.

And of course, if you could figure out how to show prospective employers that you have a mastery of the material.

So yeah, go ahead.
I was playing the role of Devil's advocate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2020, 03:13 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,642,228 times
No, but that's because my job isn't in my major's field. I majored in sociology and even if I took a social work job, I would've still needed to learn how the job works,. which only happens ON THE JOB! There was no college class for this, and there certainly wouldn't be.

That's the problem with college; sitting in a classroom in no way prepared me for how the working world works. Maybe if I majored in business...?

I work in freight logistics and everything was trainable. The closest major would be international business, logistics, or supply chain management.

Old 01-13-2020, 04:38 PM

23,254 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
College just teaches you to study, take tests etc. Nothing to do with navigating your way/networking through the workplace and developing connections with people in power (which is all that seems to matter in most places now).

College is USELESS for the most part. Its just a way to check off the resume job application that you have a degree. Loved my college years, but I didn't gain much of anything from it.

In terms of developing "Skills/experience" in college.. Mehhh. most jobs in corporate can be learned within a few months with proper on the job training and from there you continue to build on that foundation from there. Of course, most employers want someone else to foot the bill to train their employees
Speak for yourself. I learned a lot more in college than how to take tests or to study. Learned that stuff in primary school. You are once again making broad assumptions that all students attend college to "work in corporate". Hardly reality. There are many technical, scientific, and professional disciplines universities prepare students for that have nothing to do with your knee jerk "evil" corporate. You didn't "gain much of anything" from college? Attitude going into it and coming out of it matters. You already knew it all before you started and no one could convince you otherwise. Closed minds don't learn much. You are just getting a little more bitter and resentful as time goes on because no one else recognizes your superiority.

Old 01-13-2020, 04:46 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,159,880 times
IMHO, unless you are getting your degree in a very specialized field, college is meant to lay the foundation for employment and life. It teaches you to problem solve, be self reliant, be efficient, manage your time and interact with your peers.

When I'm looking at hiring potential employees, these are the traits that I'm seeking.

Old 01-13-2020, 05:09 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,074,625 times
I majored in accounting, but my main professor always told us it would be different in the field. That's to be expected. It doesn't help that I ended up working for the state as an auditor. I had one auditing class, and only one chapter touched on governmental auditing. But without my college education, my current job would have not been possible. I also had to work hard in college, I didn't just breeze through. So I am not afraid to ask questions and I knew I'd have to work hard in whatever job I ended up doing.

I did work in cost accounting for about two years and I felt like I was more prepared for that knowledge wise.

Old 01-13-2020, 05:11 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,642,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
College just teaches you to study, take tests etc. Nothing to do with navigating your way/networking through the workplace and developing connections with people in power (which is all that seems to matter in most places now).

College is USELESS for the most part. Its just a way to check off the resume job application that you have a degree. Loved my college years, but I didn't gain much of anything from it.

In terms of developing "Skills/experience" in college.. Mehhh. most jobs in corporate can be learned within a few months with proper on the job training...
Yes, yes, yes. This is exactly what I mean.

I've always believed that college should be part classroom and part hands on. Internships at a company should be half of the graduation requirements.

Old 01-13-2020, 06:26 PM

6,822 posts, read 10,510,104 times
I feel my degree prepared me about as well as it could for my career. There are certain things you can't really learn until you're the doing job, but everything else was pretty good. But, I also don't see college as only about career - I also value in the liberal arts educational traits - many of those may not directly apply to a job/career field but do teach you about thinking, the world, etc. I've found it all valuable in one way or another.

Old 01-13-2020, 06:57 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times
I never thought College will prepare me, but I hoping they help me get a job through their connections, and career placement programs.

They did not do that for me either. But I did do lots of internships. I should have just stuck with those companies.

Old 01-13-2020, 08:52 PM

11,120 posts, read 5,583,894 times
Long years of hard work and living right at the edge of financial insolvency, did help prepare me for my future life, regardless of how much I benefited from the courses I studied.

Old 01-13-2020, 09:13 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,059,052 times
Yes. Majored in electrical engineering, barely graduated and spent a few years starting up steel and paper mills. It was like being in an EE lab for 10 hours a day and I loved it. Once we started a family, I went back to school for a masters in business where I did great and spent the next 30 years with the same company running one process or another.

I’ll likely retire at the end of 1Q21. I started working at 13 so next year, I’ll have 50 years in total working including 36 with the same company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment