Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2020, 09:22 PM

2,151 posts, read 1,354,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
College/university does not help one get around the catch-22.
What catch-22? College prepares you if you put the effort into it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2020, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IForgotMyOldAccount View Post
In order to avoid accountability, universities argued that the purpose of college was not to find employment, but to educate the population
That doesn't avoid accountability. That clarifies reality. A lot of clueless people think that college is to prepare you for work at some skilled labor or office job.

Old 01-13-2020, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
College is USELESS for the most part. Its just a way to check off the resume job application that you have a degree. Loved my college years, but I didn't gain much of anything from it.
Did you even complete college? I find it unusual that one would call college useless.

Old 01-13-2020, 09:51 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,639,469 times
Quote:
There are no jobs that require no experience, except sales and Mcjobs.
You've been schooled on this. Repeating the same falsehood over and over doesn't make it true.

Old 01-14-2020, 12:17 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,757,343 times
Quote:
There are no jobs that require no experience, except sales and Mcjobs. College/university does not help one get around the catch-22.
You are so wrong.

What you are talking about clerk, counter help, and door to door peddlers not real sales jobs not needing college training, or experience. You are not talking about sales jobs.

I know as I worked up from the bottom with a very old, international corp, #1 in their field to be division sales manager for western half of USA.

If you want a sales job with a large Chemical company calling on their customers, you will need a degree in chemistry, so you can talk to their customers. Same in IT a degree in IT, and so on, and so on.

And as to McJobs you can work up into management, with some store managers earning as high as $100,000 a year, more than a large percentage of college graduates.

And if one is sharp, along with a college degree in their field, a personality that gets along with co-workers, and is ready to learn in their field, their are jobs waiting for them.

On the other hand, I keep seeing post after post on CD, posters that cannot get a job, and if they get an interview they cannot get the job. When I read some of their posts, I would not hire them either. They simply do not fit in with the company hiring goals, or will not fit in with co-workers if they are hired. This is not new, as I had them applying to my company decades ago and would not hire them way back then.

If you cannot find a good job, quit blaming HR and HM people. Consider the fact, you turn off HR and HM people so much they do not hire you, and look for the reason why. Start looking at what is wrong with you, that no one with a good job opening will even consider you.

Old 01-14-2020, 03:59 AM

4,951 posts, read 2,706,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
You are so wrong.

What you are talking about clerk, counter help, and door to door peddlers not real sales jobs not needing college training, or experience. You are not talking about sales jobs.

I know as I worked up from the bottom with a very old, international corp, #1 in their field to be division sales manager for western half of USA.

If you want a sales job with a large Chemical company calling on their customers, you will need a degree in chemistry, so you can talk to their customers. Same in IT a degree in IT, and so on, and so on.

And as to McJobs you can work up into management, with some store managers earning as high as $100,000 a year, more than a large percentage of college graduates.

And if one is sharp, along with a college degree in their field, a personality that gets along with co-workers, and is ready to learn in their field, their are jobs waiting for them.

On the other hand, I keep seeing post after post on CD, posters that cannot get a job, and if they get an interview they cannot get the job. When I read some of their posts, I would not hire them either. They simply do not fit in with the company hiring goals, or will not fit in with co-workers if they are hired. This is not new, as I had them applying to my company decades ago and would not hire them way back then.

If you cannot find a good job, quit blaming HR and HM people. Consider the fact, you turn off HR and HM people so much they do not hire you, and look for the reason why. Start looking at what is wrong with you, that no one with a good job opening will even consider you.
True, the fault always lies with the worker, never the employer.

Old 01-14-2020, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
True, the fault always lies with the worker, never the employer.
In the case of the OP, this is true. Trying to say that college did not prepare you for a job is like saying a fork did not help you drink water. It's not the fork's or water's fault. It's the person who thinks that fork is the right tool to drink water.

Old 01-14-2020, 07:17 AM

4,951 posts, read 2,706,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDoPhysicsPhD View Post
In the case of the OP, this is true. Trying to say that college did not prepare you for a job is like saying a fork did not help you drink water. It's not the fork's or water's fault. It's the person who thinks that fork is the right tool to drink water.
Yes. I think that for most people, including me, the degree is just a piece of paper that you need to get a white collar job. A check in a box. I never expected a degree to prepare me for a job. Much of what you need to be successful in a job and career is common sense like show up on time, have a good attitude, work hard, be able to learn, be able to play and survive the political games and get along with others. College doesn't really provide that, other than the knowledge that you may need in your chosen career.

Old 01-14-2020, 07:31 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,420,544 times
My college education focused too much on theory much of which I don't use. Even though I work in a very closely aligned field to my education I had to learn a lot of the practical applications and necessary skills (mechanical aptitude, basic IT management) on my own.

Just last week I was taking apart a 2 stage rotary vane vacuum pump to learn how it works, is put together, and how to service it for my GC/MS.

Old 01-14-2020, 07:39 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
My college education focused too much on theory much of which I don't use. Even though I work in a very closely aligned field to my education I had to learn a lot of the practical applications and necessary skills (mechanical aptitude, basic IT management) on my own.

Yeah, I found this with my science education, as I said. Lots of training to be more an academic scientist, than an applied one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment