Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2020, 07:48 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,983,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDoPhysicsPhD View Post
Did you even complete college? I find it unusual that one would call college useless.
Yes I did and it was useless outside of checking a box on a job application that asks level of education completed. The majority of my career (minus a few years) have been spent underemployed or working for individuals with no college Education.

Having a bachelors degree and a career spent working with not 1 college credit to their name? Yes I can probably say at least my college experience was useless and unnecessary in the grand scheme of things. Obviously it varies per individual but mine was useless LOL

Last edited by DorianRo; 01-14-2020 at 07:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2020, 07:59 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Yes I did and it was useless outside of checking a box on a job application that asks level of education completed. The majority of my career (minus a few years) have been spent underemployed or working for individuals with no college Education.

Having a bachelors degree and a career spent working with not 1 college credit to their name? Yes I can probably say at least my college experience was useless and unnecessary in the grand scheme of things. Obviously it varies per individual but mine was useless LOL

Why do you think that is?

Old 01-14-2020, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Why do you think that is?
Most of the time career advancement/job opportunities comes down to timing and luck. (Right place right time)

Old 01-14-2020, 08:20 AM

571 posts, read 321,541 times
Quote:
Most of the time career advancement/job opportunities comes down to timing and luck. (Right place right time)
I think all opportunities are about timing/luck, but also being prepared for the moment when it arrives. I think if you made the most of it, college should have helped prepare you to be a more well-rounded individual, which in turn should have made you a more well-rounded candidate. My college experience laid the foundation for the rest of my life, personal and professional.

Old 01-14-2020, 08:27 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Not at all.

I was an economics/finance guy in college and most of what I do straddles finance and IT. I couldn't do this job without more entry level IT skills, but you don't need a college degree for that.

Old 01-14-2020, 09:43 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:

Which you can put yourself in, or not. Luck may be a thing here and there, but over time, not so much. We make luck, or not.

Old 01-14-2020, 10:25 AM

430 posts, read 283,256 times
I only had two years of college and prepped for my life long desire to be in Law Enforcement. A couple of years into it, I discovered it was not for me, and at that time I couldn't make enough to provide for my small (one child) family. I went into trades and bounced around, but ended up in a mid-level management position in a field I never even thought about when I was younger. I don't recommend my path to anyone, especially my grandchildren; I have a couple that will very soon be college age. I encourage them to get a good general education and not worry too much about a major pursuit until they see a path that draws them. In addition to my career, we have a small retail business with a few hourly workers. I am continually amazed to see applications from young people looking for part-time, near minimum wage work, who have bachelors degrees. They have no work skills and little understanding of very basic things. I think, and hope, that this is the minority of graduates. By far the most common degree I see is in Marketing.

It often makes me wonder. In the field of my career we are always looking for apprentice tradespeople. Where I am they can start out around $18/hr. plus benefits in a warehouse, or delivery. If it looks like a fit they can get into a 5 year apprenticeship program. This pay starts at around $ 22 - 24 /hr. The training is free, but on their own time, sometimes 2 nights per week, sometimes 3 and no school during the summer months. They are using a service vehicle for work and allowed to use it to go to and from their training. They are part of a highly respected union to which they pay dues. The pay increases are progressive as they complete more training. Once they at a Journeyman level and the training is complete, they are making about $95K per year without overtime, but there is almost always overtime available to those who want it. After that more classes can be taken as desired to attain specialties, and the various companies offer factory equipment training frequently. It is not unusual for a seasoned Journeyman to make more than $130K per year. If supervisory or management fits, they can move up from there within the various companies that employ them. The union benefits are very good, and the retirement is outstanding. By the way, although I wish I had, I did not come through this program, but work for one of the companies that hires them.

I can't understand why it is so difficult to get people into this programs like this. There are no student loans, you are earning the whole time you are going to school. You end up making as much or more than many of the college graduates. Many of the trades are in this same situation, the recruits are not there. One of my grandchildren (16 now) does not seem to me to be promising college material. I hope to be able to encourage him to look into a trade instead of college.

Old 01-14-2020, 10:47 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
Yes, it did.

I went for engineering. We had design projects, presentations, internships/co-ops and other exercises that did prepare me for my career ahead.

Did I hit the ground running full steam ahead? Of course not, but it gave me enough experience to not be totally clueless when I got my foot in the door.

Old 01-14-2020, 10:49 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,639,469 times
Quote:
Never the fault of the substandard employee with a bad attitude and no fire in their belly who still live in their mom's basement. Riiiiiiiiight.

Old 01-14-2020, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Never the fault of the substandard employee with a bad attitude and no fire in their belly who still live in their mom's basement. Riiiiiiiiight.

That must be it.. Because we live in a 100 percent meritocracy according to the corporate apologists (which are plentiful around here). Its the "It worked for me Whats wrong with you" mentality and all everyone successes in life came from strictly working hard and getting an education. . Maybe you just lucked out and stumbled across a great company and great job.. Maybe you were born into wealth/connections (Once again.. LUCK).

A lot of people did all things they were supposed to do (Worked hard gotten an education, gained experence) and not a damn thing to show for it other than corporate layoffs due to mismanagement by "Fire in the belly" sociopath managment teams /Temp Agencies/Underemployment etc.

If life was merit based, you would have a point. But as well know (at least the ones of us with common sense that don't deny reality) its NOT
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment