Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2022, 01:35 PM

5,209 posts, read 4,676,386 times

Advertisements

The demand for tech workers has not diminished. A lot of companies just over hired and now they are slimming down to prepare for a potential recession. Other companies are tooling up, transforming or moving to the cloud and they are still hiring. I don't see bloodbath. I see a lot of movement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2022, 02:12 PM

16,454 posts, read 8,258,847 times
I have noticed a few layoffs the past week or so. Both people were in sales positions at tech companies.

Old 06-15-2022, 02:52 PM

291 posts, read 202,512 times
You guys see these kinds of layoffs in non software engineering?

It took me two weeks to find a job after being at the same employer for 10 years.

Old 06-15-2022, 03:42 PM

178 posts, read 116,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tugofpeace View Post
You guys see these kinds of layoffs in non software engineering?

It took me two weeks to find a job after being at the same employer for 10 years.
Outside of the tech world, employers are hurting... Well, the numbers speak for themselves: the lowest unemployment, 1.2 jobs per 1 looking (historically low). It would take more than 0.75% fed rate hike (many more of them?) to change the situation.

Old 06-15-2022, 03:42 PM

7,027 posts, read 4,905,036 times
Has anyone looked at the profits these companies are making and what the CEOs have gotten for raises lately? I'm wondering if this isn't just an extension of minimum wage companies that post record profits, give their CEOs record raises, and then lay people off or say they can't afford to pay them what they're worth.

Old 06-15-2022, 06:07 PM

16,454 posts, read 8,258,847 times
I think it’s very discouraging to see what the people make at the VP/C level vs what everyone else makes. The leadership team certainly isn’t the only group that puts in a lot of time and hours. The wealth gap is just crazy. Someone performing surgery should be paid well. Someone who shows up at conferences to schmooze and talk about a product they didn’t build does not. But this is the world we live in.

Old 06-15-2022, 06:14 PM

11,527 posts, read 6,034,241 times
There are lots of Tech firms with no profits on good revenue. They have been making it up on volume.

No longer. You can last as long as you have a continuous stream of 0% financing flowing from foolish investors. The cost of capital is soaring. When things get hard, you actually have to stand on your own earnings. No earnings, no value. A bunch of Tech firms are about to go down hard.

Dot.Com V2.0, the Sequel.

At least there are lots of burger flipping openings still available right now but you can't WFH.

Old 06-16-2022, 07:23 AM

2,389 posts, read 2,344,125 times
I've said this elsewhere: folks should start getting into fields that are deemed as essential rather than tech bro crap at companies that aren't important to the masses. Utilities, healthcare, manufacturing. Stuff that serves a need. Not some startup that nobody's heard of or cares about, or Netflix.

Old 06-16-2022, 08:05 AM

5,581 posts, read 2,312,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
I've said this elsewhere: folks should start getting into fields that are deemed as essential rather than tech bro crap at companies that aren't important to the masses. Utilities, healthcare, manufacturing. Stuff that serves a need. Not some startup that nobody's heard of or cares about, or Netflix.
Technology exists in the utilities, healthcare and manufacturing industry. Finance, insurance and transportation. Government, defense, hospitality. Lots of IT work in those sectors. Doesn't have to be a start-up.

Old 06-16-2022, 10:27 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,637,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
Healthcare can't exist today without the tech sector. Neither can the utilities or manufacturing. Tech is integrated into everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment