Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2022, 02:45 AM

13,273 posts, read 7,321,255 times

Advertisements

Lot of companies ramped up to meet supply chain issues I could see that back lashing after they find they hired too many people. I keep getting nagged by guy on LinkedIn he wants my resume contract IT job in 3 states he says. I don't even want to give him my resume until he tells me where they are located, and the minimum salary. Why waste time with lowball offers is how I feel not really even looking. I'm working for a utility can't beat a recession proof job like this where customer has to buy your product.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2022, 05:32 AM

6,454 posts, read 9,818,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
Lot of companies ramped up to meet supply chain issues I could see that back lashing after they find they hired too many people. I keep getting nagged by guy on LinkedIn he wants my resume contract IT job in 3 states he says. I don't even want to give him my resume until he tells me where they are located, and the minimum salary. Why waste time with lowball offers is how I feel not really even looking. I'm working for a utility can't beat a recession proof job like this where customer has to buy your product.
I understand them not wanting to give too much info about the company, but they should have no issues discussing the general location and salary.

Old 01-26-2023, 06:01 AM

1,602 posts, read 868,226 times
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...eader-comments

Google lays of 12,000 and of course many of them get on social media to cry about it.

I predict Starbucks will soon have a wealth of applicants.

Old 01-26-2023, 06:30 AM

4,143 posts, read 3,058,396 times
While I do have sympathy for the laid-off workers, I have wondered for years why these tech companies that don't actually manufacture anything had so many employees.

Old 01-26-2023, 06:45 AM

1,602 posts, read 868,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
While I do have sympathy for the laid-off workers, I have wondered for years why these tech companies that don't actually manufacture anything had so many employees.

The woman in the article I posted was listed as a "creative."

Old 01-26-2023, 07:55 AM

35,081 posts, read 31,322,562 times
This whole situation sucks, but many of these companies just hired in droves over the course of the pandemic. As things have gone back to normal, they overextended. They should have never expanded headcount the way they did in many cases in the first place.

Old 01-31-2023, 05:35 AM

1,871 posts, read 846,051 times
i been a tech for 37 yyears, my 60 hours weeks are now, 20. Just no work. Most being replace with 29 years old $12 workers and alot deals with no truckers. No trucks, no supplies, no increase construction, no work

Old 02-01-2023, 01:23 AM

7,597 posts, read 3,260,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b29510 View Post
i been a tech for 37 yyears, my 60 hours weeks are now, 20. Just no work. Most being replace with 29 years old $12 workers and alot deals with no truckers. No trucks, no supplies, no increase construction, no work
Get out of high tech then.

Old 02-01-2023, 06:33 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,117,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b29510 View Post
I worked as an engineer for over a decade straight out of college. WAs even a project manager for 3 of those years.

When I ended up in a major international company, I thought my job was safe and I was going to retire with them. Then after seeing my colleagues getting culled over the years, I realized that there was no such thing as safe in the corporate world anymore.

So, I started looking for an exit strategy and eventually ended up starting my own investment company. Couldn't be happier. The tragically funny thing is a couple years after I quit my job and went off on my own I got word that they let go of the entire department I was working in. Everyone was gone. Even the office executive was gone.

Getting laid off sucks. Trying to find a job sucks. I will never ever ever ever work for someone else ever again.

Old 02-01-2023, 06:34 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,117,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
This whole situation sucks, but many of these companies just hired in droves over the course of the pandemic. As things have gone back to normal, they overextended. They should have never expanded headcount the way they did in many cases in the first place.
Um, that's just an excuse. They let go of people who were there for 20+ years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment