Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2022, 10:40 PM

22,486 posts, read 12,032,914 times

Advertisements

So...I guess lots of H1-Bs will be sent packing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2022, 07:40 AM

11,200 posts, read 9,098,926 times
Never a good idea to put a public statement for everyone in the company to read criticizing the company and C-level execs. Also, considering the track record of Elon... (calling the cave diver a pedophile when he rejected his submarine, cancelling the Tesla order for a reporter that was critical of Tesla, his Twitter antics, etc..)

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/17/t...sk-letter.html

Old 06-17-2022, 07:43 AM

2,389 posts, read 2,345,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruegel View Post
I think it's a peculiar slice of time right now, while the tech firms at large have not caught up. The job-hopping is still possible. But it's coming. The firms and investors are (will be) becoming squeamish about rising interest rates and the economy. The firms will rather lay off the newly hired. I would start thinking twice about job-hopping right now.
Job-hopping is probably the only way to increase your wage.

Bummer about SalesForce. Was thinking about getting a certification.

Old 06-17-2022, 08:02 AM

5,581 posts, read 2,314,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
Job-hopping is probably the only way to increase your wage.

Bummer about SalesForce. Was thinking about getting a certification.
Are you saying you no longer want to get a Salesforce certification because Salesforce is reducing hiring?

Old 06-17-2022, 08:27 AM

11,200 posts, read 9,098,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Variable View Post
Are you saying you no longer want to get a Salesforce certification because Salesforce is reducing hiring?
Salesforce is used by a lot of companies who might need your skills.

Old 06-17-2022, 11:00 AM

3,048 posts, read 1,155,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Variable View Post
Technology exists in the utilities, healthcare and manufacturing industry. Finance, insurance and transportation. Government, defense, hospitality. Lots of IT work in those sectors. Doesn't have to be a start-up.
Exactly. You've just given a list of the industries that my spouse supports as a tech consultant. It's stable work and pays very, very well. People outside the industry seem to believe that Meta and Twitter are the entirely of tech. It's so much more than that.

Old 06-17-2022, 11:35 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,798,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
Never a good idea to put a public statement for everyone in the company to read criticizing the company and C-level execs. Also, considering the track record of Elon... (calling the cave diver a pedophile when he rejected his submarine, cancelling the Tesla order for a reporter that was critical of Tesla, his Twitter antics, etc..)

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/17/t...sk-letter.html
One cardinal rule I've always heard was "If you're unhappy where you work, quit. If you can't quit, shut up" This is just like that idiot intern who started a petition at work, calling for "A more relaxed dress code"

Of course Elon has said things off the wall comments, but to circulate a letter with accusations of misconduct without proof, is as traitorous as it comes.

A very stupid thing to do.

Old 06-17-2022, 01:23 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,231,627 times
Not a good time to be looking for a job at Wally Martski, either.

Old 06-17-2022, 01:48 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,014,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1065 View Post
Exactly. You've just given a list of the industries that my spouse supports as a tech consultant. It's stable work and pays very, very well. People outside the industry seem to believe that Meta and Twitter are the entirely of tech. It's so much more than that.
Yup. I'm still getting reached out to by recruiters. I have seen a number of posts on LinkedIn about people getting laid off but I just started a new job as a tech consultant this week. I'm sure some companies will be cutting back but it would seem that others are going to continue needing tech work (no matter how bad it gets).

Old 06-21-2022, 05:30 PM

1,923 posts, read 1,287,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
One cardinal rule I've always heard was "If you're unhappy where you work, quit. If you can't quit, shut up" This is just like that idiot intern who started a petition at work, calling for "A more relaxed dress code"

Of course Elon has said things off the wall comments, but to circulate a letter with accusations of misconduct without proof, is as traitorous as it comes.

A very stupid thing to do.
Yes, exactly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment