Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2023, 11:27 AM

746 posts, read 494,330 times

Advertisements

It depends upon the disability payments

SSI only allows you to earn some nominal amount close to $30 per month without it affecting your payments. There are newer work incentives but consider whether it's worth it. Sometimes when you are off, it's difficult to get back on.

SSDI allows up to close to $1700-$1800 or so without it affecting your payments. I used to know these numbers but in the last few years, so much inflation, they were changed. SSDI also has work incentives with the same issue is once you are off, it might be difficult to get back on SSDI. Ensure you pick a job you LOVE with little risk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2023, 11:30 AM

13,131 posts, read 20,976,546 times
I will repeat what every has already told you: There is nothing that prohibits an employer from hiring a person on disability! Working while receiving disability may impact your continued benefits.

Please repeat after me:
"I can be hired and/or work while applying for, receiving, or after getting disability benefits. However, working may impact my continued benefits."
Repeat as many times as it takes you to understand this simple concept.

Old 08-31-2023, 03:26 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,577,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalyellen View Post
I want to apply for a company that is a federal subcontractor. If I apply for disability benefits and do not get them, can I still get hired by this company or any other company?
Same answer as before - if willing and able to do the job, yes you can. It may prevent you from being eligible for benefits while you are earning that income.

Old 09-01-2023, 12:07 PM

23 posts, read 18,899 times
Ok but the question I was asking was if I apply and do not receive the benefits (ineligible), does this affect at all future employment. Also I just wanted your opinion on whether I should even apply for disability since I was let go for a performance issue.

Old 09-01-2023, 01:38 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,787,820 times
Quote:
Ok but the question I was asking was if I apply and do not receive the benefits (ineligible), does this affect at all future employment. Also I just wanted your opinion on whether I should even apply for disability since I was let go for a performance issue.

Re-phrasing the same question over and over isn't going to result in a different answer. If you truly are deemed ineligible for disability (remember, others have mentioned that people often need to apply multiple times before getting approved), what difference would that make to future employers? They wouldn't need to consider it or accommodate for it.

Do you believe your "performance issue" was created by some disability you think you have? If the performance issue had nothing to do with ability to perform the work, why would being let go from a previous job influence a disability application that occurs once that job is history?

Last edited by Parnassia; 09-01-2023 at 03:05 PM..

Old 09-01-2023, 02:55 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,577,181 times
Quote:
Ok but the question I was asking was if I apply and do not receive the benefits (ineligible), does this affect at all future employment.
You're asking this same question over and over and the answer is still the same. You can still get a job regardless of your history of receiving benefits, or being denied benefits. It simply does not matter. You don't even have to disclose the denial of benefits on a job application in the vast majority of cases. You seem to be imagining a rule that does not exist. Either that, or someone told you something very strange, and you believed them.

If you were already receiving benefits, and you got a job, then you would be required to submit the appropriate form(s) to the agency issuing the benefits, and they might get cut. But if you are not receiving any benefits, then absolutely nothing happens, you simply carry on with your life (and the job).

Quote:
Also I just wanted your opinion on whether I should even apply for disability since I was let go for a performance issue.
If this is the public benefit (SSDI or equivalent) , then it only matters if you are medically qualified, not what happened at your last job.

If it is a private benefit provided by the employer, you need to read the HR and disability policies for the last employer, but generally you cannot sign up for an employee benefit after you have been fired. There might be an exception if you were improperly fired due to the disability when you should have been put on leave.

Last edited by ncole1; 09-01-2023 at 03:07 PM..

Old 10-07-2023, 04:53 PM

In your opinion is a management position considered low risk

Old 10-08-2023, 03:29 PM

3,417 posts, read 7,786,636 times
Quote:
In your opinion is a management position considered low risk
Low risk for what?

Old 10-08-2023, 05:07 PM

for not being let go due to a disability

Old 10-09-2023, 05:35 AM

3,417 posts, read 7,786,636 times
OP-

Without posting identifying information, please post your story of what happened that led you to post here.

Please include:
-your age
-if you have applied (or are receiving) for disability and if so through what agency-Social Security, insurance, what?

The more information you supply the better targeted responses you will get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment