Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2023, 06:33 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,716,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
I've seen job ads in popular sites like LinkedIn, that say 771 people have applied for that job already. Sometimes it's even more. Why would that many people apply for a job but it's still being listed?

Maybe it's not a real job ad - or a promotional thing?
I'll tell you why: Because the internet made it easy for people to apply indiscriminately, and because the internet made it easy for HR to treat applicants badly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2023, 09:11 PM

3,619 posts, read 3,892,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I'll tell you why: Because the internet made it easy for people to apply indiscriminately, and because the internet made it easy for HR to treat applicants badly.
This.

Applying through the internet does not work well because if the job is good and well advertised you are part of a sea of resumes probably not even reaching human eyes. If you are going to do it at all, go through the company website not a 3rd party. Much better to be one of the 50 people in the internal HR system than one of the 500 in the indeed or linkedin pile. Best to apply through a referral, recruiter (the type that gets a flat placement fee, not an agency that gets you the job but then takes a large chunk of what would otherwise be your pay) is second best. Only without an in do you apply online, and when you do do it direct.

Old 09-22-2023, 09:53 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,382,682 times
Quote:
Why do so many people apply to jobs if they don't have the requirements? Do they just not look at the details?
There are people who are lazy and want to believe that if they do a bulk contact effort of every possible job posting, that someone will review it, and will hire them immediately. Then they complain to everyone how they have applied for 1,000 jobs and still don't have a job. Their method is completely wrong. It's the same people who believe you only need one version of your resume regardless of the job they apply for, which is also wrong and being lazy.

Old 09-22-2023, 10:04 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,382,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post

Why? Some, I think, believe they are entitled to the job. Others are following the shotgun approach and applying to everything they see.
It doesn't have anything to do with entitlement. They don't understand how it works. HR tries to come across like they carefully exam every resume and application, when the truth is, they don't do this at all. They have software which presents a weighted score of matches based on keywords. People know or hear of someone who didn't have all the experience needed for the job, but got hired, so they think the shotgun approach is all that is needed. Many people get hired because of referrals by employees and through professional contacts, but some don't want to admit to that. Most industries it is a small community even in large cities, so it is common for someone on the interview panel to say they heard of or know one of the applicants and has a favorable opinion of them.

Old 09-23-2023, 03:14 AM

18,550 posts, read 15,624,654 times
Quote:
Why do so many people apply to jobs if they don't have the requirements? Do they just not look at the details?
As long as there is no "penalty" for doing so, someone really desperate for a job may figure they can simply apply for a large enough number that, by chance, something will stick.

Old 09-23-2023, 08:34 AM

2,704 posts, read 2,771,236 times
Quote:
Because people want to take a risk. There are people who need jobs. They're just trying whatever they can to get a chance.

Old 09-23-2023, 09:29 AM

32,680 posts, read 48,207,062 times
Quote:
There is a thing that is really common with the less educated that they believe they are just as good as anyone else, they deserve to have everything that other people have, and they don't understand or won't accept that the guy with the big salary is doing a job that they can't do. Because they didn't go through the schooling or the training, they really believe that anyone could do the job, with maybe a week or two of employee provided training. They don't have the training or the knowledge, so they don't know how much work it is or how much knowledge is required.

Listen to them for a bit. They believe that anyone who gets ahead it is just because of luck. They apply because maybe it is their turn to be lucky.

Old 09-23-2023, 11:27 AM

844 posts, read 423,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
There is a thing that is really common with the less educated that they believe they are just as good as anyone else, they deserve to have everything that other people have, and they don't understand or won't accept that the guy with the big salary is doing a job that they can't do. Because they didn't go through the schooling or the training, they really believe that anyone could do the job, with maybe a week or two of employee provided training. They don't have the training or the knowledge, so they don't know how much work it is or how much knowledge is required.

Listen to them for a bit. They believe that anyone who gets ahead it is just because of luck. They apply because maybe it is their turn to be lucky.
I am in somewhat of an enviable situation these days. I have Corporate Talent Acquisition people comb through my LinkedIn profile then contact me for specific requisitions they need to fill. I then look over the JD and decide to follow up or decline. It's nice to be in a driver's seat for change.

Old 09-24-2023, 12:53 PM

3,538 posts, read 6,550,049 times
I just applied for a job in LinkedIn. I got an email saying I need to submit a credit report. Do you think that is suspicious? I didn't want to go ahead with it.

I also applied for another job (supposedly a data enry remote job) that required me to fill out a form and it sent me to a page asking me to fill out surveys. I'm not sure if I even applied for the job now.

Doesn't LinkedIn know these things are going on? Don't they filter out junk that is not really job ads?

Old 09-24-2023, 01:15 PM

844 posts, read 423,743 times
Quote:
I just applied for a job in LinkedIn. I got an email saying I need to submit a credit report. Do you think that is suspicious? I didn't want to go ahead with it
That's weird. I have never had that request. Personally I wouldn’t do it.

Typically my experience has been if they made me an offer and I accepted it, the credit report is a part of background investigation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment