Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2023, 01:53 PM

7,514 posts, read 13,608,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
I just applied for a job in LinkedIn. I got an email saying I need to submit a credit report. Do you think that is suspicious? I didn't want to go ahead with it.

I also applied for another job (supposedly a data enry remote job) that required me to fill out a form and it sent me to a page asking me to fill out surveys. I'm not sure if I even applied for the job now.

Doesn't LinkedIn know these things are going on? Don't they filter out junk that is not really job ads?
When I applied , in person, for a "keyboarding" job, I was given 2 practical tests to see if I was able to perform. One involved listening to a recorded phone call , and entering data from the call on a PC.

Perhaps that's why you got requests that you did. To see if you really wanted the job, and would perform as needed.

The credit report is a different matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2023, 07:12 PM

6,451 posts, read 3,967,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigfishTim View Post
Sorry but, just like a dating site, desperation is not going to get you a job.
But desperation does mean that you're not going to worry about whether you like the employer or their "financial health" is good. You take what will get you by, keep a roof over your head and food in your stomach and your bills paid and your dependents (if you have any) cared for, and hope something better comes along later.

Old 09-24-2023, 07:57 PM

78 posts, read 77,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
You can afford to be picky. Someone who doesn't have a job, or really, really needs to get out of their current job, isn't going to be picky, because they can't be... they just need to pay the bills.
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
But desperation does mean that you're not going to worry about whether you like the employer or their "financial health" is good. You take what will get you by, keep a roof over your head and food in your stomach and your bills paid and your dependents (if you have any) cared for, and hope something better comes along later.

I get it. I do have the luxury of being picky because I am working right now. That's because I've learned from experience and am getting out before things turn sour at my current employer (they are financially unhealthy now and I predict they have maybe a year before major cuts are made). I've been unemployed before simply because I hung on too long to a dying workplace. I don't wish to find myself there again. It's probably also why I look into the financial health of a company (as best I can) before applying.

But I still do not think it helps people who are desperate to carpet bomb resumes. One increases their chances of getting a good job by being selective and being careful. I would not advise being as picky as I am being now (if one is unemployed), but I would advise doing one's homework and making sure you and the job are a good fit. And then make sure your resume and cover letter are specific to the job and read well. Proof read it or have a friend proof it.

If a person really needs just something to temporarily pay the bills and get by, right now there are hundreds of restaurants, box stores, and other stores that need help now. One could even get temporary work as a substitute teacher, school bus driver, or get seasonal work.

Last edited by AccidentalVulcan; 09-24-2023 at 08:34 PM..

Old 09-25-2023, 11:26 AM

3,525 posts, read 6,521,504 times
One of the "Data Entry jobs" turned out to be filling out surveys. If you fill out four surveys a week for a month, you get a gift card worth $24.

I could post the URL if you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment