Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2023, 11:31 AM

3,530 posts, read 6,540,642 times

Advertisements

I've seen job ads in popular sites like LinkedIn, that say 771 people have applied for that job already. Sometimes it's even more. Why would that many people apply for a job but it's still being listed?

Maybe it's not a real job ad - or a promotional thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2023, 11:47 AM

32,669 posts, read 48,129,403 times
There might be a set deadline for stopping accepting applications. The business (or government) will keep accepting applications until that published deadline.

Plus, sad fact, if 771 people have applied, 750 of them do not know anything about how to do the job. They need a job, like the salary offered, and hope they can just fake it.

Old 09-19-2023, 02:13 PM

12,867 posts, read 9,085,451 times
This is a big part of it. We have to keep them open for a certain time or risk complaints that the announcement was rigged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
There might be a set deadline for stopping accepting applications. The business (or government) will keep accepting applications until that published deadline.

And oh boy is this true:
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Plus, sad fact, if 771 people have applied, 750 of them do not know anything about how to do the job. They need a job, like the salary offered, and hope they can just fake it.
The last few jobs we advertised before I retired, I went through over a thousand resumes and less than a hundred would meet the minimum requirements. I mean things like the advertisement is for an engineer or a physicist and most of the applications would either be generic non technical degrees or even no degree at all.

Old 09-19-2023, 02:24 PM

844 posts, read 422,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
The last few jobs we advertised before I retired, I went through over a thousand resumes and less than a hundred would meet the minimum requirements. I mean things like the advertisement is for an engineer or a physicist and most of the applications would either be generic non technical degrees or even no degree at all.
Most resumes are sceened out by computer these days. Then HR screens out additional resumes and only come to the hiring manager with a much less number of potential candidates.

Old 09-19-2023, 02:28 PM

3,530 posts, read 6,540,642 times
Why do so many people apply to jobs if they don't have the requirements? Do they just not look at the details?

Old 09-19-2023, 02:45 PM

12,110 posts, read 23,308,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigfishTim View Post
Most resumes are sceened out by computer these days. Then HR screens out additional resumes and only come to the hiring manager with a much less number of potential candidates.
It depends. Sometimes software fails. People also click boxes to get through the screening software. Example: Do you have X certification? followed by a yes or no check box.

Some people don't read the qualifications, while others think they will win someone over with their personality. We post jobs that require a specific state license and people who aren't remotely qualified apply. Talked to one on the phone once to enquire about their failure to mention their license on their resume and they replied that they didn't have a license, but they were a fast learner.

HR has never screened applications at any of my professional jobs. They make sure policy is followed -- they don't have anything to do with screening or deciding who gets interviewed.

Old 09-19-2023, 04:41 PM

12,867 posts, read 9,085,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigfishTim View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
It depends. Sometimes software fails. People also click boxes to get through the screening software. Example: Do you have X certification? followed by a yes or no check box.

Some people don't read the qualifications, while others think they will win someone over with their personality. We post jobs that require a specific state license and people who aren't remotely qualified apply. Talked to one on the phone once to enquire about their failure to mention their license on their resume and they replied that they didn't have a license, but they were a fast learner.

HR has never screened applications at any of my professional jobs. They make sure policy is followed -- they don't have anything to do with screening or deciding who gets interviewed.
Our HR quit screening some years ago. It got to where everyone who was applying checked the "I'm an expert" box on everything like joe says above. And the HR folks don't have the subject matter knowledge to read the resume and manually screen. Mostly they just enforce policy on us while we do 90% of the hiring process.

Why? Some, I think, believe they are entitled to the job. Others are following the shotgun approach and applying to everything they see.

Old 09-19-2023, 05:43 PM

13,134 posts, read 21,032,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
Why do so many people apply to jobs if they don't have the requirements? Do they just not look at the details?
The average US worker thinks themselves to be overqualified to be the CEO of a Fortune 10 company. Therefor, every job announcement is beneath them so they feel they are a shoe-in for every position.

Old 09-19-2023, 06:03 PM

24,632 posts, read 10,958,690 times
Quote:
Well, go ask them.

Old 09-19-2023, 08:03 PM

6,470 posts, read 3,995,339 times
Quote:
Hope-slash-desperation (or perhaps an unemployment-program requirement that they apply to X number of jobs per week), plus a culture that often advises people to apply for jobs they don't qualify for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment