Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2023, 02:26 PM

2,615 posts, read 3,144,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
All the more reason to stay the heck out of corporate america today. Truth is, this happens everywhere now. The only answer is to avoid corporate america at all costs. Toxic workplaces do NOT improve. And sociopaths don't get any better. I've seen great companies destroyed, but I've never seen crappy companies improve. If the most worthless people are making the most money, you are working for a complete toilet bowl of a company with worthless management who should have been kicked to the curb long ago
I saw plenty of that. I saw a handful of managers who were better thinkers but they never had the authority to make any real changes. I took several complaints to one guy, who agreed with me on nearly every issue but admitted he had no way to change anything until some established managers were gone. He eventually left and probably should have left sooner. The company was eventually swallowed up in further mergers, as had been an ongoing process in that industry.

Truthfully, I am surprised that workplace violence isn't far more common than it is. A lot of those in power do all they can to create stress and turmoil, the roots of such things. Add the normal frailties of human nature and you get a toxic time bomb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2023, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
I don't complain, either. If someone is not performing, I'm not going to "tattle" to the boss. That's on management to make sure we're all held accountable -- no cronyism and nepotism, please.

If you've just discovered that your employee has been goofing off and not doing anything for 6 months, don't blame me. That's on the boss for not monitoring and checking what their employees are doing. This is the sad result of what happens when you have managers who don't manage.
Seen that in a few places. Various bosses tell around how sorry a worker is. Well, he does these things because they let him get away with it over and over.

Old 10-11-2023, 02:30 PM

12,833 posts, read 9,029,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmellc View Post

1 guy in a construction company was being groomed for management. His father was a well respected foreman who ran excellent jobs. Junior was smart & skilled but power hungry. Took full advantage of his father's position. Some conflict arose between him and another guy. Junior went to the general contractor and got him to file a complaint on the other guy for coming to work intoxicated. Didn't quite get him fired but suspended for a week or 2. Guy 2 didn't have a leg to stand on, as he did have a DWI record and still didn't have drivers license at the time. Somehow the scheme was discovered but Junior got no punishment that I .
Are you saying they guy wasn't intoxicated or that Junior reported him for being intoxicated? I wouldn't want to work on a job site with someone who was.

Old 10-11-2023, 04:01 PM

5,010 posts, read 590,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wangchin213 View Post
So what drives some people to try to get their coworkers fired?
It could be envy or jealousy.

Because of my skills and expertise, I had been chosen for certain projects and I became the target of an envious colleague. She was committed to scrutinizing my work and eagerly waited for me to make some minor screw-up, then tattled to our manager.

It's because she probably thought I was receiving preferential treatment, getting positions that she had been coveting.

I'm retired now but I still remember how her behavior actually disrupted the entire team.

Old 10-11-2023, 04:14 PM

45,327 posts, read 60,500,026 times
A teacher will stab their best friend in the back for a better schedule or to become a member of the Principal's posse.

Old 10-11-2023, 04:47 PM

24,598 posts, read 9,437,319 times
Quote:

Complaining about something serious such as illegal behavior or sexual harassment, I can understand, but not the piddly interpersonal stuff that I've seen people try to get others fired for.
Well there's a huge difference between those two categories.

Is the employee taking 4 hours lunch breaks? Are they leaving 3 hours early? Are they just surfing the web on youtube all day? Are they showing up to work 1 hour late all the time? Are they missing deadlines? Are they creating a hostile work environment by expressing political, religious, sexist, extremists views?

All of this NEEDS to be reported to the proper people. Then it's up to them.

In my personal experience, you don't need to "try to get someone fired." They will 100% do it to themselves. It will be a very long paper trail of multiple reports AND refusal to change.

I recently saw 2 people get fired, they weren't doing anything illegal, they were just complete a-holes who apparently thought they were above getting fired.

Old 10-11-2023, 05:09 PM

813 posts, read 441,413 times
I have seen this happen mostly by the younger generations. They have been raised to believe that they are owed, not that they have to earn it. When they see others actually succeeding it leads to jealously, then Jr. HS antics to remove the one they despise.

And HR often just wants to remove the issue, and not deal with the real problem.

It's a sad reflection on today. I can't wait until the pendulum swings back. It always does.

Old 10-11-2023, 05:10 PM

142 posts, read 83,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Is the employee taking 4 hours lunch breaks? Are they leaving 3 hours early? Are they just surfing the web on youtube all day? Are they showing up to work 1 hour late all the time? Are they missing deadlines? Are they creating a hostile work environment by expressing political, religious, sexist, extremists views?

All of this NEEDS to be reported to the proper people. Then it's up to them.
If it doesn't affect my ability to do my job, I don't care.

Several years ago, I worked with a guy who showed up an hour late, took a 2 hour lunch, and left an hour early every day whenever the boss wasn't around. I had my tasks and he had his tasks. His laziness didn't affect me at all, so I didn't report him.

People expressing political, religious, sexist, or "extremist" views? I don't care.

Last edited by wangchin213; 10-11-2023 at 05:31 PM..

Old 10-11-2023, 08:10 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Quote:
I just don't get it.

I've worked with all sorts of annoying people, lazy people, mean people, etc., and I never even thought about complaining about them to the boss to try to get them fired. I just focus on my work and try to tune out the other people as best as I can.

Complaining about something serious such as illegal behavior or sexual harassment, I can understand, but not the piddly interpersonal stuff that I've seen people try to get others fired for.

I just believe that trying to take someone else's livelihood away is playing very dirty, and I would avoid someone who tried to get me fired like the plague. I wouldn't help or interact with that person above the bare minimum required.

So what drives some people to try to get their coworkers fired? Is it sociopathy?
I can tell you why somebody pulled that with me. It was years ago, at a furniture store,and the office manager didn’t like me. No, she liked me, but what she wanted was her best friend working with her. And the only way that could happen is if I was fired for cause, so when they had to hire another assistant her friend could apply, again.

She got to the office first, and went through the bag of paperwork, took out one or two orders, once or twice a week and hide them under her phone. And while she was alone in the office she would file them in the proper place, so when we went looking there the order would be for the sofa that I never ordered because I never saw the paperwork.

I got in trouble a couple of times, I certainly couldn’t figure it out. We developed a workaround, it worked perfectly for about three weeks, because she wasn’t stealing the orders anymore, and then she started again. I so I got canned. Best thing ever. funny how life works.

They did not hire her best friend they hired some guy. Well it worked so well the first time she tried it again. He was up to the getting counseled part of her plan… when her mother suffered a terrible accident and she had to fly cross country to help her mother. And she didn’t think about covering her behind. One of the big managers decided to do her job because somebody had to do it, and because he absolutely couldn’t stand her desk because it was messy… he cleaned it, thoroughly. Lifted up the phone and found a bunch of paperwork. And he took it over to the new guy asked if he had seen it, which he hadn’t, then they went through the files with a fine tooth comb and discovered there were about six or seven things that hadn’t been ordered that the guy had never seen and they figured out what happened. Not why. When the woman came back that’s when they found out why, and then they fired her. I stayed friends with one person at that furniture company and we went out for lunch one day and the manager was there and when he saw me he was horrified, but he never apologized, or a commiseration. I mean I was wronged, but so was he. I did let him know that I was in a much better place, a much better fit for me. So he knew there was no hard feelings for me. I think he pretty much had hard feelings for everybody all the time.

Old 10-11-2023, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Are you saying they guy wasn't intoxicated or that Junior reported him for being intoxicated? I wouldn't want to work on a job site with someone who was.
He wasn't intoxicated. Junior used that strategy knowing it would be believed because he had a history. I never saw him intoxicated at work & no one else did either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment