Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2023, 10:45 AM

27,141 posts, read 13,429,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
And here I thought a dry promotion would be about not drinking alcohol.
I think the term unpaid promotion is more apt.

Extra responsibilities and extra hours for no extra pay, which is fine if it's part of a career or part of learning skills or gaining a qualification, however it's not so good if it's just part of a company cost cutting exercise and is not of any real benefit to the employee.

Old 10-27-2023, 10:49 AM

7,908 posts, read 3,450,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
I think the term unpaid promotion is more apt.

Extra responsibilities and extra hours for no extra pay, which is fine if it's part of a career or part of learning skills or gaining a qualification, however it's not so good if it's just part of a company cost cutting exercise and is not of any real benefit to the employee.
Yeah but dry promotion sounds more modern. Sure your employer is screwing you over but now you get to be part of this hip new trend!

Old 10-27-2023, 10:52 AM

27,141 posts, read 13,429,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Waltz View Post
Yeah but dry promotion sounds more modern. Sure your employer is screwing you over but now you get to be part of this hip new trend!
LOL - a hip new trend complete with a complete set of new grandiose and meaningless BS job titles, which often just mean you are now eligible to work longer hours or night shifts.

Old 10-27-2023, 10:53 AM

7,253 posts, read 3,776,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Typical Corporate America today. Keep throwing the hay on the back of employees and give them "titles" but no extra pay increase. Thats not a promotion.. Thats just more work being thrown on you and employee abuse. This is why unions need to make a huge comeback
They were doing this 30 years ago. It's nothing new.

Old 10-27-2023, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
I would give it my best dry effort.
My daughter's a Zoomer and she said she would make an effort commensurate with the additional pay. lol

Old 10-27-2023, 10:58 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,983,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattja View Post
They were doing this 30 years ago. It's nothing new.

Well they were more likely to promote internally back then after you proved your worth . Today they will just hire everyone from the outside whether they are qualified or not and all you get will be just added work

Old 10-27-2023, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
I could see the usefulness of a "dry promotion" if carried out for a specific limited period of time such as 30 days to see how a person would work out in the job. Then, if things aren't satisfactory to management, the employee would go back to his old job at the same pay and with duties as usual.

Then, the employer might try a different person in that job for the same 30-day period and see how they do. If they do acceptably well, then they would receive a promotion to that position along with an accompanying pay raise.
I see, a test run of sorts. But it's probably unnecessary as management generally knows who is best for the job and who will succeed based on that person's prior duties and performance.

Quote:
What I would NOT support is having someone doing the higher responsibility job indefinitely and not receiving the pay raise that goes with the higher position.
But this is what management actually wants.

Old 10-27-2023, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Waltz View Post
"Dry promotion"
"Screwing you over"

If you could fit the word "vagina" in there somewhere you could have the makings of a good joke.

Old 10-27-2023, 11:12 AM

25,940 posts, read 22,089,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
LOL - a hip new trend complete with a complete set of new grandiose and meaningless BS job titles, which often just mean you are now eligible to work longer hours or night shifts.
You forgot "with more responsibility".

One thought I had was that products on the shelves are shrinking in size and using cheaper ingredients, parts, etc., all due to Bidenomics, so maybe this is way to tide the employers over until hopefully things change. Bottom lines may be tight for some, and if the guy at the top says "no raises", this would be at least some recognition for the employee, and a chance for more reward down the road, as it would provide a bargaining chip once one is performing well with the new responsbilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattja View Post
My daughter's a Zoomer and she said she would make an effort commensurate with the additional pay. lol
And yet another, would be willing to put in more effort for possible future benefits, despite there being no additional pay. Also, I suspect they'll have an idea who would be interested in this kind of deal before offering it.

Old 10-27-2023, 12:01 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
What's next?

More vacation days but you can't take them if it means you'll be out of the office?

The privilege of being called an independent contractor so you don't get benefits?

Being promoted to a salaried position so you make a fixed rate of pay no matter how many hours you work?

What a load of poop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment