Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2023, 09:14 AM

7,321 posts, read 3,796,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
As American businesses seek innovative ways to cut costs in a tightening economy, employers may be enticed to promote employees but withhold a salary increase.

This situation is known as a "dry promotion."

Human resources and job experts discussed the impact that "dry promotions" have on employee engagement and productivity — and shared the employer perspective as well.

Why should employees appreciate a ‘dry promotion’?

Despite not receiving a salary bump, some experts encourage employees to be proud of receiving recognition at work for a job well done.

"A dry promotion signals an employer’s commitment to the employee’s growth with the organization and is usually a sign the employee is performing well," said Vanessa Matsis-McCready, associate general counsel and VP of HR services with Engage PEO. She is based in New York City.

What are the benefits?

Employees benefit from gaining new skills and challenges from the new role, along with the added recognition and appreciation.
https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyl...-you-accept-it

----------

Expect to see more of these kinds of "promotions" as the economy continues to soften, interest rates continue to rise, and we enter a recession.

I love this quote: "Despite not receiving a salary bump, some experts encourage employees to be proud of receiving recognition at work for a job well done."

A job well done? I guess not well enough to pay more.

I wonder how much Fox Business was paid to print this garbage?

Early in my career, one of the tricks companies used to like to play on inexperienced hires was to make them responsible for another persons work -- effectively making them a manager -- but provide no pay raise or promotion into management. Like a manager, their pay was dependent on how their team performed, but since they were not managers they were not eligible for the management bonus if the team performed well.

Old 10-27-2023, 10:17 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,982,074 times
And here I thought a dry promotion would be about not drinking alcohol.

Old 10-27-2023, 10:29 AM

559 posts, read 296,030 times
If you are going to be expected to take on more tasks and responsibilities then you should see an increase in your salary.

Old 10-27-2023, 10:31 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,985,438 times
Typical Corporate America today. Keep throwing the hay on the back of employees and give them "titles" but no extra pay increase. Thats not a promotion.. Thats just more work being thrown on you and employee abuse. This is why unions need to make a huge comeback

Old 10-27-2023, 10:32 AM

17,401 posts, read 14,631,586 times
Interesting ... didn't know they'd come up with a name for it.

I've done this to be honest. Promotion w/ a title change with no salary increase.

And used it to my advantage when I jumped ship.

Old 10-27-2023, 10:32 AM

21,120 posts, read 19,703,590 times
I would give it my best dry effort.

Old 10-27-2023, 10:37 AM

5,984 posts, read 3,724,157 times
I could see the usefulness of a "dry promotion" if carried out for a specific limited period of time such as 30 days to see how a person would work out in the job. Then, if things aren't satisfactory to management, the employee would go back to his old job at the same pay and with duties as usual.

Then, the employer might try a different person in that job for the same 30-day period and see how they do. If they do acceptably well, then they would receive a promotion to that position along with an accompanying pay raise.

What I would NOT support is having someone doing the higher responsibility job indefinitely and not receiving the pay raise that goes with the higher position.

Old 10-27-2023, 10:39 AM

7,917 posts, read 3,458,721 times
I say embrace any extra responsibilities you are given, learn from them and if you feel you are being taken advantage of use that experience to get a better job later on. Even if there is no bump in pay you are still being paid to be trained in new skills that you can add to your resume.

Old 10-27-2023, 10:43 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,985,438 times
Its not the old days when the economy was booming and there were tons of jobs out there. Make it seem like its so easy to find a solid job these days with great pay and benefits. Usually those are reserved well connected people (Friends of management etc) . There is still alot more people looking for good jobs than there are good jobs available

Old 10-27-2023, 10:43 AM

5,980 posts, read 2,234,421 times
Depends on the role. If I am able to get something marketable in my field from the experience then I would accept the role and then use that experience as "paid training" to leave and take another job where I am getting paid for it.

This is common in Healthcare, most training is on the job post formal College education so this is a regular issue, especially in the nursing ranks. This contributes to nurses moving from job to job regularly every 2-3 years as well. Hospitals don't seem to care enough to change the practice either.

The point is, it all depends on what you PERSONALLY get out of it that will benefit you, if there is no benefit then forget it. But think long-term career wise when weighing the option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment