Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2023, 09:15 AM

27,146 posts, read 13,434,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
You forgot "with more responsibility".

One thought I had was that products on the shelves are shrinking in size and using cheaper ingredients, parts, etc., all due to Bidenomics, so maybe this is way to tide the employers over until hopefully things change. Bottom lines may be tight for some, and if the guy at the top says "no raises", this would be at least some recognition for the employee, and a chance for more reward down the road, as it would provide a bargaining chip once one is performing well with the new responsbilities.
In terms of Dry Promotions, most employment related to more unionised employment or employment in an official capacity, usually means that there is a proper structure and proper regulations in relation to pay and conditions, so dry promotion is far less likely.

It's also less likely in relation to more skilled and essential employees that an organisation needs to keep happy in relation to it's own long term benefit.

Dry promotions are therefore often further down the employment food chain or in relation to internships and apprenticeships or part of the low paid zero hours gig economy.

In terms of low paid employment, I suppose it's easier to find another such position if need be, whilst in terms of young people learning skills, as soon as they acquire the necessary skills they become more attractive in terms of actual promotions or in terms of looking for employment elsewhere, and as such a dry promotion may just be a temporary measure in order to secure a better oaid and more secure future career.

It also should be noted that countries with more highly unionised workforces or who have more working rules and regulations tend to see a lot less of this type of behaviour,

Last edited by Brave New World; 10-28-2023 at 09:37 AM..

Old 10-28-2023, 09:20 AM

11,769 posts, read 5,783,856 times
I won't say I didn't need a raise when I was working - but I was just as happy being noticed and appreciated for a job well done. That meant a lot.

I do think this will be the thing as I'm seeing it now with UPS - after the last contract - truck drivers are making more than most of management and management, project engineers ect are feeling pretty underappreciated.

Old 10-28-2023, 09:22 AM

7,345 posts, read 3,517,785 times
it is called a lateral move. i had a few of those in my career. it only led to better things.

Old 10-28-2023, 09:32 AM

2,050 posts, read 993,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Interesting ... didn't know they'd come up with a name for it.

I've done this to be honest. Promotion w/ a title change with no salary increase.

And used it to my advantage when I jumped ship.
Likewise. Every 'dry' promotion I ever got was my cue to start looking for better opportunities. Time to go!

Old 10-28-2023, 09:40 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,107,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Waltz View Post
I say embrace any extra responsibilities you are given, learn from them and if you feel you are being taken advantage of use that experience to get a better job later on. Even if there is no bump in pay you are still being paid to be trained in new skills that you can add to your resume.
This is what I’m thinking also. I can see it from both sides. The job seems to be clearly taking advantage of the situation and the employee’s loyalty and potential, but the employee also can leverage that later on with new job duties on a resume. That translates to higher pay. It could also mean an internal promotion that jumps pay grades.

Old 10-28-2023, 10:05 AM

6,340 posts, read 2,891,514 times
I don't think this is anything new. I've had it done to me about 10 years ago. Boss gave me lots of duties and put me in tox blood analysis which is supposed to be higher pay. I did it for a year then asked for more pay. Didn't get the pay but I did get taken out of toxicology.

Old 10-28-2023, 11:40 AM

3,617 posts, read 3,882,175 times
You absolutely take it and then ask for a raise in a year or two after doing the work well and if you don't get it use the experience and title to get the raise at another employer. Unless you are at the very end of your career the opportunity to do higher paid work without the pay in the short term has substantial long term value.

Old 10-28-2023, 11:42 AM

30,251 posts, read 23,723,072 times
Absolutely not.

They want to give out more responsibility and work, but don't want to pay?

NO!

Old 10-28-2023, 12:37 PM

2,016 posts, read 3,520,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Absolutely not.

They want to give out more responsibility and work, but don't want to pay?

NO!
Absolutely yes they do this. I've worked for four companies over 25 years and they'll ALL done it. Was even told twice during my career I'd be getting a promotion and raise, but when it came time for the raise... oh nope, sorry we have a spending freeze right now. Big corporations are terrible to work for.

Old 10-28-2023, 01:29 PM

7,250 posts, read 3,781,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
it is called a lateral move. i had a few of those in my career. it only led to better things.
A lateral move generally does not include additional responsibility without an increase in salary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.