Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2023, 02:19 AM

7,477 posts, read 3,219,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
I understand and you're 100% right but these two situations weren't that.
Were they still on probation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2023, 06:27 AM

6,555 posts, read 8,381,935 times
Quote:
His manager told us, he didn't agree with the move , he was a great employee.
Even when not in the room at the time of firing, HR is almost always aware of the firing in advance.

It sounds as if you work in an unprofessional environment. His manager should never had shared that information with anyone.

Do firings happen often in your workplace?

Old 10-31-2023, 09:07 AM

6,589 posts, read 11,277,081 times
Quote:
I retired 8 years ago from a job I spent 32 years at, now work for the State for the last 4 years. I have seen two people let go but each time it was a Supervisor and the head of Security no one from HR or any one to witness for the other party. Both were threaten with loss of pension if they disputed the situation. To clarify nether were criminal reason for their release, one was a Supervisor who did his job and told the truth about why the department was having issues. The other was a situation were an employee who lived in a different state got a 50$ fine for jogging at a public park(trespassing) that was not open. Still don't know how our Department found out about it.
If there was any wrong doing legally - the terminated employees can seek legal counsel. However, just because HR was not actually present doesn't mean they weren't involved.

Personally, I've always had HR present when terminating an employee. They are better able to answer any potential questions than I would. Let's face it - that's really THEIR job, IMO.

Quote:
Because their work was their livelihood , I have a pension I went back to work becuase I wanted to not becuase I had to and I don't like people being bullied. I assume you have no idea that HR stands for Human Resources and is there to help both sides.
While employees may benefit from HR services as they are a valuable resource of the company, the HR department - or any department within a business do not exist to independently advocate for the employee. And certainly would not side against the company they represent. Now, they may side with one employee vs another. But they are still doing so to protect the company in terms of legal liability or regulatory compliance.

As for livelihood - I get that from a philosophical perspective - it's obvious that most of us work to put food on the table. However, companies don't exist to help us put food on the table. It's simply a business relationship that we go into in order to fulfill our own needs. Just as consumers don't typically purchase a service/product to help the company stay in business. And yea, I get it, many may have bought something from a small business to help them out... but those are more the exceptions.

Old 10-31-2023, 11:47 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,648,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
Were they still on probation?
No, one was a 17 year employee the other 27 years of service.

Old 10-31-2023, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
If there was any wrong doing legally - the terminated employees can seek legal counsel. However, just because HR was not actually present doesn't mean they weren't involved.

Personally, I've always had HR present when terminating an employee. They are better able to answer any potential questions than I would. Let's face it - that's really THEIR job, IMO.

While employees may benefit from HR services as they are a valuable resource of the company, the HR department - or any department within a business do not exist to independently advocate for the employee. And certainly would not side against the company they represent. Now, they may side with one employee vs another. But they are still doing so to protect the company in terms of legal liability or regulatory compliance.

As for livelihood - I get that from a philosophical perspective - it's obvious that most of us work to put food on the table. However, companies don't exist to help us put food on the table. It's simply a business relationship that we go into in order to fulfill our own needs. Just as consumers don't typically purchase a service/product to help the company stay in business. And yea, I get it, many may have bought something from a small business to help them out... but those are more the exceptions.
In a private business you might be right except this is a State position. HR does protect the Company side but they also make sure everything is done on the up and up to protect themselves and in doing so protect the Employee as well.

Old 10-31-2023, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
Even when not in the room at the time of firing, HR is almost always aware of the firing in advance.

It sounds as if you work in an unprofessional environment. His manager should never had shared that information with anyone.

Do firings happen often in your workplace?
No , again a State agency and the fact that an employee of his was treated as harshly as he was had him upset. Being his direct supervisor he was kept out of the loop and was blindsided by the dismissal.

Old 10-31-2023, 12:09 PM

45,323 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
No , again a State agency and the fact that an employee of his was treated as harshly as he was had him upset. Being his direct supervisor he was kept out of the loop and was blindsided by the dismissal.
Then there was something else going on outside of the supervisor's purview. My experience with MD state agencies is that someone really screwed up badly to be fired (unless a political/Green Bag appointee).

Local note for you:
Former Delegate and Maryland Secretary of Veterans Affairs George Owings III died last evening.

Old 11-01-2023, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Then there was something else going on outside of the supervisor's purview. My experience with MD state agencies is that someone really screwed up badly to be fired (unless a political/Green Bag appointee).

Local note for you:
Former Delegate and Maryland Secretary of Veterans Affairs George Owings III died last evening.
Very sorry to hear that!

As for the other , no there wasn't. It's mis management . Our Head supervisor was a former PG County Police Officer, now he runs a State Warehouse facility, he has no clue on how to manage, run a warehouse or deal with employees, again HR needs to step in.

Old 11-02-2023, 08:09 AM

9,873 posts, read 14,112,458 times
Quote:
In a private business you might be right except this is a State position. HR does protect the Company side but they also make sure everything is done on the up and up to protect themselves and in doing so protect the Employee as well.
Well, there you go. In your own words HR made sure that everything was done on the up and up. The fact that they were not physically in the room is irrelevant.

Old 11-02-2023, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Well, there you go. In your own words HR made sure that everything was done on the up and up. The fact that they were not physically in the room is irrelevant.
LOL, trying to spin my statement is funny. Again they were not involved but needed to be. At no point should the employee be told go quiet and you will get your pension. And to clarify I said HR is to make sure it's on the up and up , not that they did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment