Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2023, 08:03 PM

1,075 posts, read 552,765 times

Advertisements

Recently, a casual buddy of mine explained that he lied about having a college degree for a job that he wound up getting. Apparently it came up, or rather it didn't come up, in his background check, so the company asked for some sort of verification. I kid you not, he told me that he photoshopped his name onto a degree certificate and sent it to the company and that was all they needed. No questions asked and a decent paying, remote job in the bag.

As someone who went through the grueling process of earning a degree and paying it all off on my own, I wasn't sure how to process this. Obviously, I'm happy for my friend and I truly think the entire hiring system is broken and biased against a lot of deserving people. I posted about it on a sub on reddit, and the general consensus was applause and praise for this bold action. There were lots of sentiments that college is a giant scam and this was, in fact, the right thing to do. I'm kinda beside myself and disappointed, because honesty and integrity are core values of mine. Yet, reddit made me feel like I was the dope for even questioning this. I also feel kind of stupid for earning a degree when it seems so easy to fake it.

Is my friend a 'Robin Hood' of job seekers, or is this pretty grimy behavior?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2023, 08:08 PM

9,971 posts, read 5,669,596 times
Unless it's a literal legal requirement like a law degree or medical degree to practice law or medicine and the degree requirement serves literally no purpose but a lazy gatekeeping barrier... I'd shrug my shoulders and say "congrats on taking the initiative to make it through that stupid barrier, but I'm not going to bat for you if they find out you lied."

Old 11-07-2023, 09:13 PM

12,831 posts, read 9,029,433 times
He lied. How can he be trusted not to lie about anything else?

Old 11-07-2023, 10:34 PM

1,075 posts, read 552,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
He lied. How can he be trusted not to lie about anything else?

Agreed, but it seems like, at least in this case, it's paying dividends for him. Not only that, but it seems like a good number of people find this behavior reasonable and worthy of kudos. I'm a bit more understanding around some mild embellishment, but straight up lying about a (significant) qualification/achievement is crossing the line IMO. Maybe this is far more common than I dared to realize.

Old 11-08-2023, 05:16 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,983,013 times
I’m sure he will get away with it given the fact 99 percent are highly dysfunctional and mismanaged by morons these days. I’ve seen countless people kept on payroll her literally just sat at home for years and the company forgot all about them LOL

Old 11-08-2023, 05:33 AM

6,589 posts, read 11,277,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalUID View Post
Agreed, but it seems like, at least in this case, it's paying dividends for him. Not only that, but it seems like a good number of people find this behavior reasonable and worthy of kudos. I'm a bit more understanding around some mild embellishment, but straight up lying about a (significant) qualification/achievement is crossing the line IMO. Maybe this is far more common than I dared to realize.
It shouldn't surprise anyone that people lie. And IMO - companies can have whatever policy they want. But it's also up to them to effectively enforce it. I'd think they would have asked for a transcript or something more than just a pic. of a degree.

That said - sometimes, these "basic" qualifications are just that. Perhaps he was very good at the job or the hiring manager was really impressed by your friend. And would have hired him regardless of the degree. However, it's the company policy that a bachelors is needed.

I certainly don't agree with the decision to lie. But it's also not something I get too bent out of shape about. I agree with Bitey - the friend made their bed. They may have to deal with the consequences down the line. But it's their risk to take.

I did have a colleague that was fired after they realized she lied about her degree (she was a semester away from attaining it). Albeit in this case, we were management consultants - and pretty much it was expected that we all had degrees. So this was not just lying on her part - but can also been seeing as misrepresentation to our clients.

Old 11-08-2023, 05:33 AM

349 posts, read 243,671 times
I don’t think college degrees are needed for every job, and I think the push for “everyone” to pursue a traditional academic degree is flawed (I say this as someone with a Masters!). BUT lying on a job application, and deliberate manipulation to succeed is COMPLETELY wrong. I think you’re right to question your friend. He’s missing some morals here.

Even if this time it works out for him, I had a friend that said “the wheels of justice turn slowly, but they do turn.” If not in this life, in the next.

I’d have a hard time not saying anything to the friend; and questioning the friendship altogether. As someone else said, if he lies about this, what else will he lie about? I wouldn’t trust him.

Side note, I would ignore the people on Reddit. Their values are questionable too.

Old 11-08-2023, 05:57 AM

4,139 posts, read 3,044,203 times
As I've said before, I've never lied about my credentials in a resume, but as I started to find out how common this is, I've wondered how much of a disadvantage I suffered for being honest.

Old 11-08-2023, 06:15 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,083,796 times
My job did a background check when they hired me.

As for some other companies I've worked for, they could care less if you were a high school dropout and maybe even a convicted felon as long as you could make them money and keep clients quiet.

If you couldn't make them money, they could care less if you a PhD.

Old 11-08-2023, 06:27 AM

9,374 posts, read 8,345,252 times
This is not uncommon at all.

"According to data from ResumeLab, 36 percent of applicants openly admit to lying on their resumes. But when asked if they'd stretch the truth to seem more qualified, the results rise to 56 percent."

Lying on a resume and completely making up a college degree are certainly not worthy of praise, but unless you plan on ratting out your friend, I'm not sure why anyone would care. Yes, most of us went through the process of legitimately gaining a college degree, but that doesn't lessen it's value. He was able to fool this one, single employer but most employers would find out about such an egregious lie and disqualify him from the job.

Move on. It doesn't affect you one bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment