Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2023, 08:48 AM

1,076 posts, read 562,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OP, with all due respect, you're giving weight to the wrong crowd. Many of the Reddit subforums are populated by very immature people. Reddit is known for that. Don't let them shake your faith in humanity and all that's good.
I agree. Admittedly, the reddit discussion is completely ancillary to the primary issue I took with my buddy securing a seemingly 'professional' job by way of fraud. I only mentioned it for additional context, as it seemed like a good number of people found this behavior acceptable and justified. Reddit is a bizarre place at times, as it's moral compass can be greatly aligned with mine, or it can have me really doubting my faith in humanity. That said, one sub's reaction to a topic on a certain day isn't indicative of how the entirety of reddit thinks either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2023, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Perhaps I missed it in 7 pages. What's the job title, or if you don't want to post it, why do you suppose a college degree is a requirement?

I could not do such a thing. It's shocking and disappointing to me that so many people on Reddit apparently support this dishonesty.

It would be very easy for the company to check up on the qualification and discover this fraud if they had the time and interest in doing so.
Something to do with supply chain/inventory management, but I don't know the specific title. The college degree requirement may be unique to that company. But as is often the case, those requirements are often more or less wish lists. There are plenty of jobs filled by people with degrees in other areas. That's not really the issue though. The issue is that he listed a degree on his resume that didn't come up on the background check verification. He then proceeded to submit a doctored degree from a university he never attended, which the company accepted as "proof".

Old 11-09-2023, 09:07 AM

22,333 posts, read 19,282,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalUID View Post
Something to do with supply chain/inventory management, but I don't know the specific title. The college degree requirement may be unique to that company. But as is often the case, those requirements are often more or less wish lists. There are plenty of jobs filled by people with degrees in other areas. That's not really the issue though. The issue is that he listed a degree on his resume that didn't come up on the background check verification. He then proceeded to submit a doctored degree from a university he never attended, which the company accepted as "proof".
it will come back on him in some way at some point in time. rest assured of that.
if someone acts like a crook, then they attract and mingle with crooks and that brings its own demise. you don't need to see it happen, just know that it will happen.

Old 11-09-2023, 09:31 AM

102,235 posts, read 108,130,790 times
Quote:
I agree. Admittedly, the reddit discussion is completely ancillary to the primary issue I took with my buddy securing a seemingly 'professional' job by way of fraud. I only mentioned it for additional context, as it seemed like a good number of people found this behavior acceptable and justified. Reddit is a bizarre place at times, as it's moral compass can be greatly aligned with mine, or it can have me really doubting my faith in humanity. That said, one sub's reaction to a topic on a certain day isn't indicative of how the entirety of reddit thinks either.
I wonder what kind of results you'd get, if you posted the topic on an employment discussion sub-forum there. You might get a more mature crowd, or a mix of opinions based on the age of the posters.

Old 11-09-2023, 09:50 AM

454 posts, read 286,804 times
Quote:
I'm in no way suggesting that I prefer this fraudulent method over the earnest method. I'm merely pointing out the fact that this behavior, and the success derived from it, clearly undermines and lessens the value of the achievement when it is proven so easily to manipulate.
Then you shouldn't feel stupid about taking the right path and getting your degree.

Old 11-09-2023, 09:52 AM

Quote:
I wonder what kind of results you'd get, if you posted the topic on an employment discussion sub-forum there. You might get a more mature crowd, or a mix of opinions based on the age of the posters.
Oh, I definitely think the responses would be different/varied if I had posted on /r/careerguidance or /r/jobs. In my experience, the venting and interpersonal advice subs tend to be more saturated with a younger, immature audience. Lesson learned.

Old 11-09-2023, 12:10 PM

8,097 posts, read 7,475,730 times
Quote:

As someone who went through the grueling process of earning a degree and paying it all off on my own, I wasn't sure how to process this.
Are you in the same industry?

If so, why is your friend able to do the same job without a degree? Maybe the degree requirement is BS?

If not, why do you care? Maybe the degree requirement in your friend's industry is BS.

P.S. I'm 63 and I don't have a degree. My wife has a master's degree and earns about 60% of what I earn.

Last edited by jtab4994; 11-09-2023 at 12:11 PM.. Reason: P.S.

Old 11-09-2023, 12:16 PM

8,097 posts, read 7,475,730 times
Quote:
OP, with all due respect, you're giving weight to the wrong crowd. Many of the Reddit subforums are populated by very immature people. Reddit is known for that. Don't let them shake your faith in humanity and all that's good.

Maybe the posters on Reddit, the young people just out of college and struggling to pay off massive loans, are bitter and feel they were lied to.

I wonder if they are cheering for the rebel who beat the system, similar to the way Bonnie & Clyde were popular during the Great Depression even though people knew they were outlaws.

Old 11-09-2023, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Are you in the same industry?

If so, why is your friend able to do the same job without a degree? Maybe the degree requirement is BS?

If not, why do you care? Maybe the degree requirement in your friend's industry is BS.

P.S. I'm 63 and I don't have a degree. My wife has a master's degree and earns about 60% of what I earn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Maybe the posters on Reddit, the young people just out of college and struggling to pay off massive loans, are bitter and feel they were lied to.

I wonder if they are cheering for the rebel who beat the system, similar to the way Bonnie & Clyde were popular during the Great Depression even though people knew they were outlaws.
What is your point exactly? At 63, I imagine you started your career during a time where the college degree wasn't essentially treated as the new high school diploma.

Your presumption seems to be that 1) I am the one that came up with these rules and 2) I support them entirely without question. I 100% agree that there are a lot of jobs with degree requirements that can be taught to anyone with moderate levels of intelligence in a 3-6 month time frame. However, the reality is that a good portion of corporate jobs require some level of tertiary education or better.

Who said anything about how much money this guy is making in relation to me or anyone else? And why are you mocking your wife's qualifications in relation to how much more you earn? Does she know that you use her in examples on the internet to demonstrate the relative low value of her education to your lack of one? My guess is that she works in a public service oriented job (i.e. social work or education) that is most necessary to our society but is widely under valued by people who make material gain the focus of their mortal existence. Your wife sounds like a saint. You, on the other hand, sound like you have an axe to grind. And hey, I'm there with you if you want to rant and rave about the ridiculous requirements they put in job descriptions and hiring managers demand from candidates. My favorite are the ones where it requires more years of experience in a software that's been around less than that. Or the fact that many of them think that if you've only used a Phillips head screwdriver, you couldn't possibly learn how to use a flat-edge screwdriver.

Last edited by digitalUID; 11-09-2023 at 12:56 PM..

Old 11-09-2023, 01:58 PM

7,992 posts, read 5,401,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Truth will come out sooner or later. But be careful of him as a friend, not trustworthy.
^ This. It is difficult to keep a lie going. The guy will slip at some point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment