Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2024, 04:19 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,576,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Cleaning for 3 or 4 hours straight with no break (not allowed to have a break; you're paying for their time!) is a simple, brief job? If you say so. It sounds physically fairly demanding to me.

Nah. I did it for 6 years, in my 40s. I worked alone. All my jobs were 3 hours. Used the toilet before I got there. Ate before I got there. If I was so sick I couldn't go three hours without a toilet, I would have canceled the job. Who wants someone sick in their house, let alone using their toilet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2024, 04:23 PM

14,308 posts, read 11,702,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
You can't go 3-4 hours without eating a meal? That used to be the norm and still is for most people. If they grow faint, there are protein shakes, granola bars, sandwiches, etc. they can pack that don't require heating.
Just to get it straight, you don't mind if they eat, you just don't want them touching your stuff (except to clean it, of course--that doesn't count).

Man, this thread has been an eye-opener. People are so peculiar.

Old 02-20-2024, 04:27 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times
Quote:
Just to get it straight, you don't mind if they eat, you just don't want them touching your stuff (except to clean it, of course--that doesn't count).

You can eat a granola bar, banana, or down a bottled shake in two seconds if your fragile blood sugar is falling or whatever. I would not want people I hired to do a job lollygagging and loafing around my house all day to do it, no. They're there to do a job. What's so bewildering about it?

What a bunch of weenies and bleeding hearts we've become...

Old 02-20-2024, 04:34 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,576,592 times
Quote:

True statement. Everyone is peculiar, in someone else's eyes. Everyone is looking from their own perspective based on their own experiences and sense of self. I learned long ago to live under my own hat and not worry about if someone thinks I'm peculiar. .

I know a woman who appears to thrive on chaos, her house has always been full of children, then adult children and their spouses and their children. People always coming back to live there while they got on their feet and never leaving lol. She would be unlikely to care if some stranger used her microwave (or toilet), whether they were there to provide a service, or whether they simply walked in off the street.

Then there's the other extreme: me a "shut in cat lady" as someone called me in a anonymous "rep", self protective and not afraid to admit it. Not ashamed of myself at all, even after being admonished by this person that I should be lol..

Different strokes.

Old 02-20-2024, 05:30 PM

19,208 posts, read 16,696,914 times
Really interesting perspectives here. First, I think anyone working in your home should be courteous and ask to use anything, even the bathroom. I've had workers at my house, doing a job that required them to be there eight or more hours and then the next day. I've given them permission up front to use the facilities if they need to and they've used the microwave to heat their meal. Even sat at the table to eat it. I don't have an issue with it. I don't know why someone who comes in to clean a house would need to be there longer than four hours, though. That does seem odd.

I have to say I probably shouldn't even post a comment in the thread because when I first read the subject title, I thought someone was asking about using a microwave to clean people.

Old 02-20-2024, 05:36 PM

446 posts, read 282,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
...But caregivers become familiar people, in the home, amidst the family all the time, it's a different set up.
Yeah! And they get a special blanket too!!

Old 02-20-2024, 06:29 PM

14,308 posts, read 11,702,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Master View Post
My mother had live in help a few days a week. They baby-sat me on weekends and had their own room. I learned to do ironing, housekeeping, etc. BUT even though we were together 24/7 even watching Roller Derby... Claire would NOT sit with me to eat because she came from a slave parentage and it just wasn't done.
Her parents were slaves? What country were you in?

I don't think your experience with a babysitter who was so downtrodden she wouldn't even eat with her employer's child is representative. Where I live, we got past that sort of thing 75 years ago.

If I had cleaners I thought were "lazy azzes," I would let them go and get someone else. But I wouldn't base that judgment on whether they asked to use my microwave (or bathroom) or spent 10 minutes taking a break and eating something in the middle of a 4-hour shift.

Old 02-20-2024, 09:47 PM

6,816 posts, read 11,545,464 times
Quote:

We are talking about LAZY AZZES who SHOW UP to clean and HAVE to make their lunch first. WHY???? Name ANOTHER job you get to show up and make food on the CLOCK before even working.
It’s very likely that they have 3-5 cleaning jobs a day. By the time they get to your house at noon, they’ve already cleaned one or two houses.

Old 02-21-2024, 03:55 AM

446 posts, read 282,718 times
Quote:
We are talking about LAZY AZZES who SHOW UP to clean and HAVE to make their lunch first. WHY???? Name ANOTHER job you get to show up and make food on the CLOCK before even working.
You can do that where I work. If you work in the office, that is. Not if you work in the shop. There are two sets of rules here. Management is pretty good at unfair treatment.

Old 02-21-2024, 05:22 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Claire would NOT sit with me to eat because she came from a slave parentage and it just wasn't done.
"Slave parentage"? Are you kidding us with this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment