Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2024, 04:00 PM

24,476 posts, read 10,804,014 times

Advertisements

All this excitement about a plate of food being heated.
We have built from scratch and extensively remodelled. Our contractors know which toilet to use, that they can camp out on the patio for lunch/siesta, the forman has a key code to the house for emergencies and overlooks the microwave lunch line on the patio (best 60$ you can invest for a big remodel). They know where the cooler with water is. A bit of niceness goes a long ways. Tomorrow will be day 1 of work on the patio. They do mostly manual work, some are artists in their line of work, some do not speak much English. They are people!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2024, 04:10 PM

2,627 posts, read 1,170,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
So we have cleaning people that come bi weekly. My husbands idea, not mine. They come around 11am, today they came at 12pm. I typically go into the basement when they come. When I went upstairs at one point I noticed they had food in tupperware set out on the counters. I just heard them use the microwave to heat up the food. I have no idea how busy they are or if being here is the only chance they have to eat lunch but is this normal? They never asked, hey can i use the microwave at your house and eat there?
I know when it is two maids hired by a company they usually get picked up and dropped off by someone so they don't do the driving. I would ask the person/manager if they need to heat up their food next time ask and please do this just before they leave so they eat in their car now while on the clock.

When I had my home painted they asked to use my microwave. They ate about a half hour and got right back to work.

I looked for maid service myself. once a month cleaning for one bedroom condo is nearly $200.00 for that one to two hour cleaning. To me that is insane since they mostly only do the floors largely covered with area rugs and using my floor cleaner, the floor and outside appliances in a kitchenette with very little counter space. I don't even have them clean the bathtub just the toilets and sinks. I keep the place pretty clean but a little help mopping the floors that are exposed helps.

How much are you paying if you don't mind my asking?

Old 02-21-2024, 04:23 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
All this excitement about a plate of food being heated.
We have built from scratch and extensively remodelled. Our contractors know which toilet to use, that they can camp out on the patio for lunch/siesta, the forman has a key code to the house for emergencies and overlooks the microwave lunch line on the patio (best 60$ you can invest for a big remodel). They know where the cooler with water is. A bit of niceness goes a long ways. Tomorrow will be day 1 of work on the patio. They do mostly manual work, some are artists in their line of work, some do not speak much English. They are people!
Agree. When I'll have contractors/workers at my house I plan ahead. I want them to do a good job for me so I treat them well. I keep plenty of chilled water handy just in case. The guest bath is stocked and ready just in case, though the offer is usually declined. Things happen. It's available. I am miles away from services. OK, there's the bushes but still...If someone wanted to heat something in the microwave they'd be welcome to. I've provided simple snacks just in case. I am welcoming and helpful. It usually pays off in spades. I've hardly ever ended up with subpar work. The work is done completely and well, even above and beyond. Everyone's day is more pleasant. They also spread the word that I'm an appreciative client. That reputation isn't a bad thing, especially in a small town where skilled professionals can pick and choose what work they'll even accept. I usually stay on great terms with people who've done work for me so when the chips are really down they're there for me in return.

Last edited by Parnassia; 02-21-2024 at 05:24 PM..

Old 02-21-2024, 04:31 PM

1,130 posts, read 1,245,013 times
Contracters of any type should not take their meal breaks in the client's kitchen even if given permission.
It looks unprofessional and could lead to complaints about crumbs, food odors or damage to the microwave etc.
I suspect your housecleaners were overscheduled that day and took their break on your dime to allow them to go directly to the next job.

Old 02-22-2024, 07:09 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southking500 View Post
Contracters of any type should not take their meal breaks in the client's kitchen even if given permission.
It looks unprofessional and could lead to complaints about crumbs, food odors or damage to the microwave etc.
I suspect your housecleaners were overscheduled that day and took their break on your dime to allow them to go directly to the next job.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment