Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2024, 10:56 AM

16,294 posts, read 8,126,207 times

Advertisements

So we have cleaning people that come bi weekly. My husbands idea, not mine. They come around 11am, today they came at 12pm. I typically go into the basement when they come. When I went upstairs at one point I noticed they had food in tupperware set out on the counters. I just heard them use the microwave to heat up the food. I have no idea how busy they are or if being here is the only chance they have to eat lunch but is this normal? They never asked, hey can i use the microwave at your house and eat there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2024, 11:55 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Working at people's homes all day they are not going to have a place to heat up their lunch . Still, there are two issues to consider. First, are you paying them to eat? It depends on whether they are paid by the hour or by the job. Then there is using your microwave without permission. I don't see that as a big deal, it's not going to run up your electric bill or anything, but no way they should do that without asking. I would check with your husband, perhaps he approved that?

Old 02-16-2024, 12:42 PM

6,556 posts, read 8,381,935 times
I don't use a cleaning service but I do know people who clean and I don't think this is normal practice. They will schedule time in their day to eat and typically pack food that doesn't require heating up.

Since they were running late today, do you think this was a one-off? (I'd also be sure that I would not be charged for the time they took to eat their lunch but the folks I know don't charge by the hour but by the job).

Old 02-16-2024, 12:42 PM

376 posts, read 320,213 times
I’ve never had cleaning people eat their lunch at my home, let alone use my microwave. I’d have an issue with it, but that’s just me.

Old 02-16-2024, 01:40 PM

6,457 posts, read 7,789,115 times
I would not have a problem with it but they should have asked.

Old 02-16-2024, 02:07 PM

I definitely saw the food on my counters and heard the microwave but I'm not sure if they ate in my house...they maybe went and ate in the car. I don't know. It does seem awkward...I wouldnt want someone to not eat, but it's just interesting the concept of paying someone to clean your house and they're using your stuff to heat up the food and eat there.

I am basically afraid to get in their way when they are here...so i didn't dare go up to see what was happening. They seem very nice...but I didn't feel like dealing.

i texted my DH about it who basically organized them coming to our house and he pretty much said, who cares .

Old 02-16-2024, 02:23 PM

9,374 posts, read 8,345,252 times
We have used different cleaning crews through the years and few of them speak much English (all were Latin). It could be a cultural difference perhaps but not something I would get too upset about, especially if they are good at what they do. I was making coffee once while they were there and one of them politely asked me in Spanish if she could have a cup and of course I happily obliged.

I've found that cleaning crews are a lot like auto mechanics, some are terrible and dishonest and others are very good so once you find the very good ones you continue to work with them as long as possible so if they are good at what they do, I wouldn't consider saying anything or no longer working with them.

Old 02-16-2024, 02:51 PM

16,904 posts, read 16,116,328 times
I would use the microwave to heat their food but I would not allow them to use it.

Old 02-16-2024, 02:58 PM

I'd honestly prefer they not eat here...it was weird to see their food in containers sitting there on counters I am paying for them to clean...but I'm also human and think they should be able to have a lunch break. Just not sure it should have anything to do with my house. I guess we'll see if it happens again. I was on work calls and am not sure if they ate in my house...but I'm pretty sure they used the microwave

Old 02-16-2024, 03:05 PM

29,737 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
I would not have a problem with it but they should have asked.
That's how I feel about it. They could have clarified that they were off the clock but needed to eat. They are people and if they're otherwise providing a good service it doesn't hurt to show them a little grace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment