Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 06:23 PM

364 posts, read 1,570,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I did market research as my second job while working full time in the day at another job.

It's not ideal but no one sees you and the pay is okay.
That sounds interesting, what type of market research was it? Any suggestions for where to go to find this type of part-time position?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 06:51 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,097,086 times
Maybe you can look up direct marketing or market research companies in your area.

It was on the phone and you did surveys with people. You have to have a tough skin to listen to hang ups, cursing and so on. But if you have a nice phone voice and are polite, you get surveys.

Where I worked was not commission or anything. We got an hourly wage. This was years ago, so I have no idea if the industry has changed.

People used to do surveys in the mall (marketing).

Seems like these days if you live in a rural area like mine, you can't pick up one job let alone 2 unless you have 7 days a week you can work some shift from 8 am through 10 pm.

Old 05-27-2009, 05:36 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,134,699 times
Maybe I'm not the norm, but I'm always pleasant to true market research phone calls. Unless I'm really in the middle of something I try to answer their questions. Telemarketing though--I stop them flat after four words and say "I'm not interested, take me off your call list" and hang up.

Old 05-27-2009, 08:07 AM

10,836 posts, read 14,962,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djkkt6 View Post
I'm considering getting a part-time job for maybe two nights a week or so. The main reason would be to pay off my student loan debt quicker -- the idea is that every single penny earned from the part time job would go to the loans. The thing is, I really don't want to do retail or be a server or anything in the public. I'm a professional and while it may be stupid, I'd feel embarrassed if a co-worker at my day job saw me working at a clothing store or something. So... what other options are there? I've thought about a call center, although I really don't want to do that. So I figured I'd ask here to see if anyone has any other ideas.
Good God man, is this what a nation of producers has become?

The sheer arrogance that due to training or degree a person is "to good" to perform any honest work leaves me nearly speechless!

What institutions teach this garbage?

Any honest work is good work.

If an engineer with a BS degree worked for me and worked part time delivering pizza for Domino's to retire debt I would consider him among the sharpest knives in my tool kit. Not only sharp but not afraid to work or get his hands dirty.

He's retiring debt, by paying an additional $200 a month he is avoiding thousands of dollars in long term repayment and interest. If he's paying $300 a month from what I pay him and and additional $200 a month from Domino's all I can say to a $500 a month repayment is "You go guy!"

I'd probably go out of my way to order pizza the nights I knew he was working.

Young man, the people you need to impress have been there, they've all done it and they will appreciate your extra effort.

Those that demean honest work, those that would make you feel like a failure for doing honest work, are crap and what they think doesn't mean squat. Screw em, go do your work and pay off your debt.

And grow up!

Old 05-27-2009, 08:09 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,704,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
Allow me to disagree. It depends strongly on your field of occupation. Many companies will not hire a person who has a second job (for certain positions). Actually one of my previous employers had it in the contract - not to work elsewhere. Aside from that, would you go to a dentist, accountant, therapist or lawyer who works part time at the mall?
how would they know if you moonlight (have a 2nd job)?

Old 05-27-2009, 10:10 AM

6,205 posts, read 7,476,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyfrost01 View Post
how would they know if you moonlight (have a 2nd job)?
They couldn't know unless it interfered with my first job. That job demanded frequent overtime hours (unpaid) and being available on short notice. Basically they had bad experiences with people who were not available in the evenings.
As I said, it depends on the nature of your occupation. Sure, if you work part time and/or are paid by the hour, your employer doesn't care what you do in your free time. However many jobs aren't the typical 9 to 5 work.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:42 AM

I've owned my own business for 15 out of the last 35 years once employing 30 people at my high point.

When times get tough and I have to make a decision between letting John or Mike go who will I keep?

I am going to keep the one who does the best job but that being equal I am going to keep John because John has demonstrated he is willing to go the extra mile by virtue of holding a part time job at Domino's.

Don't think for a moment a number of employers don't think this way either.

Old 05-27-2009, 05:07 PM

364 posts, read 1,570,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Good God man, is this what a nation of producers has become?

The sheer arrogance that due to training or degree a person is "to good" to perform any honest work leaves me nearly speechless!

What institutions teach this garbage?

Any honest work is good work.

If an engineer with a BS degree worked for me and worked part time delivering pizza for Domino's to retire debt I would consider him among the sharpest knives in my tool kit. Not only sharp but not afraid to work or get his hands dirty.

He's retiring debt, by paying an additional $200 a month he is avoiding thousands of dollars in long term repayment and interest. If he's paying $300 a month from what I pay him and and additional $200 a month from Domino's all I can say to a $500 a month repayment is "You go guy!"

I'd probably go out of my way to order pizza the nights I knew he was working.

Young man, the people you need to impress have been there, they've all done it and they will appreciate your extra effort.

Those that demean honest work, those that would make you feel like a failure for doing honest work, are crap and what they think doesn't mean squat. Screw em, go do your work and pay off your debt.

And grow up!
What a stupid post. So many stupid things to respond to, where do I begin? Actually, I won't bother.

Old 05-27-2009, 08:24 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,737,517 times
Quote:
What a stupid post. So many stupid things to respond to, where do I begin? Actually, I won't bother.
Actually, you already did.

Old 05-27-2009, 08:28 PM

Quote:
I don't care much what you think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment