Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 07:30 AM

364 posts, read 1,570,182 times

Advertisements

I'm considering getting a part-time job for maybe two nights a week or so. The main reason would be to pay off my student loan debt quicker -- the idea is that every single penny earned from the part time job would go to the loans. The thing is, I really don't want to do retail or be a server or anything in the public. I'm a professional and while it may be stupid, I'd feel embarrassed if a co-worker at my day job saw me working at a clothing store or something. So... what other options are there? I've thought about a call center, although I really don't want to do that. So I figured I'd ask here to see if anyone has any other ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2009, 07:55 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,116,681 times
As a professional I worked p/t in a very popular mall store for five years. My coworkers were in and out all the time--sometimes when they were in the mall for other things they'd stop in just to say "hi." I never hid the fact that I worked there. Why on earth shuld you be embarrassed about it?

Of the people I worked with that had other jobs, one was a scientist, three were teachers, one was in HR, two were in I/T, one was an accountant, and I can't recall the rest, but there were other professionals that worked there.

Honest work should never be something you are ashamed of. :-)

You might want to see about working in a stock room of a larger retailer, that's one of the few "behind the scenes" positions I can think of.

Old 05-24-2009, 08:15 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,695,832 times
Library work. You could shelve books and not be all that visible since you're hidden in the stacks most of the time.

Old 05-24-2009, 07:33 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,472,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
As a professional I worked p/t in a very popular mall store for five years. My coworkers were in and out all the time--sometimes when they were in the mall for other things they'd stop in just to say "hi." I never hid the fact that I worked there. Why on earth shuld you be embarrassed about it?
Allow me to disagree. It depends strongly on your field of occupation. Many companies will not hire a person who has a second job (for certain positions). Actually one of my previous employers had it in the contract - not to work elsewhere. Aside from that, would you go to a dentist, accountant, therapist or lawyer who works part time at the mall?

Old 05-24-2009, 07:48 PM

929 posts, read 2,094,543 times

Congratulations for wanting to get out of debt quicker. Nobody should be ashamed of a second job. I admire anyone who has the gumption to go out and get after it. Just go do it and put those student loans to bed.

Old 05-24-2009, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
Allow me to disagree. It depends strongly on your field of occupation. Many companies will not hire a person who has a second job (for certain positions). Actually one of my previous employers had it in the contract - not to work elsewhere. Aside from that, would you go to a dentist, accountant, therapist or lawyer who works part time at the mall?
I was in I/T for a major corporation. They allowed outside employment as long as it didn't interfere with your work with them and it wasn't a conflict of interest. Like I said, many of the people I worked with had professional positions. This particular retailer hires p/t people without the 24/7 availability that many other retailers are looking for.

If I ran into my lawyer or accountant working at the mall I'd figure they had a reason for working at the second job--if nothing else maybe they just enjoy it.

Old 05-24-2009, 11:32 PM

15,131 posts, read 32,382,573 times
I work event security, and it's part-time.

Old 05-26-2009, 12:11 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,491,231 times
Can you work overtime at your primary job? I thought about getting a second job but the problem is if I were to get a second job working entry level wages I could potentially miss out on overtime @ $60/hr when it pops up. I'd rather keep my day job and pick up overtime when I can. Makes no sense to work an entire month part time for the same pay of working a few days of overtime at my primary job.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:58 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,092,024 times
I did market research as my second job while working full time in the day at another job.

It's not ideal but no one sees you and the pay is okay.

Old 05-26-2009, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
I work event security, and it's part-time.
That's a great idea--see wbout working at your local arena as an usher. I do'nt care what your profession is, nobody can argue with being able to see all the concerts and sporting events. and getting paid for it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment