Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2019, 07:23 PM

5,014 posts, read 7,403,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joef279 View Post
Cuomo just signed the bill. Great news!

Now we just have to hope that the record keepers can figure out how to process the requests starting Jan 15. Only two months away. Fingers crossed
Yes! I just saw this myself. Let's hope this gives momentum to efforts in other states. Here is the announcement from the Governor's office:

https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/gov...ificate-age-18
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2019, 03:28 PM

And if you find out how to apply for the OBC, post it here!

Old 11-17-2019, 05:03 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,533,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
I'll be sure to post it if I see it. It's probably the same as NJ where the adoptee goes to NY vital records. As of now, they only have Adoption Information Registry available on the main vital records page

Attention adoptees: You will soon have rights to your birth certificate - Joseph Spector, New York State Team Published 9:43 a.m. ET Nov. 15, 2019 | Updated 10:33 a.m. ET Nov. 15, 2019

Quote:
The law, which takes effect Jan. 15, will stop what has long been viewed as legal impediments for adopted children to have the right to information about their birth and biological parents.

Old 11-17-2019, 06:34 AM

82 posts, read 78,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I'll be sure to post it if I see it. It's probably the same as NJ where the adoptee goes to NY vital records. As of now, they only have Adoption Information Registry available on the main vital records page

Attention adoptees: You will soon have rights to your birth certificate - Joseph Spector, New York State Team Published 9:43 a.m. ET Nov. 15, 2019 | Updated 10:33 a.m. ET Nov. 15, 2019
According to the article you linked, the request will go through the NY DoH Vital records division using the same process anyone else would use to request a BC copy. Fee is $45 (+8 if noT ordering in person). No reason to think the process will be different, although the request forms will need to be changed to differentiate between a OBC and ABC request.

The exception is for those born in New York City. Those will have to request through the NYC Department of Health. This will have to be the same for OBC requests as NYC maintains all the records. For current BC requests, NYC uses a third-party service for fulfillment. Cost is only $15.

Looks like both only require a driver license to get your own BC. It will be interesting to see proof required to obtain an OBC. As the names don’t match, you will need some way to prove you are the person on your OBC. Many people don’t have suitable paperwork.

From experience, I can say the process may be a long one - at least with NYC. When I requested some non-identifying information, I was first told that my file no longer existed. I had to do some digging and go higher up the ladder. Fortunately, someone I met gave me a name. Long story short - it took them almost a year to find my file. That was without the need to enter my data into a database to fulfill an online document request.

These are sealed records that are filed away in a warehouse. No one thought they would ever be needed again. Depending on age, some may not even be in the system - computers only became a thing in the 80s. Workers would rather avoid searching for old files. If there are numerous requests there may not be the manpower to do so in a timely manner.

I am thrilled about the bill being signed. I’m also checking my enthusiasm with the reality that it may be a long time for the OCB request to be fulfilled. May even have to fight past some low-level bureaucrats who claim your “file cannot be found.â€

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

Old 11-17-2019, 02:55 PM

I was born in NYC and applied to the DoH for my non-ID in 1996, it took a little over a year to receive it. Your amended BC has the same number on it as your OBC but with the letter A added. I would think that should be enough to prove who you are.

Old 11-18-2019, 08:28 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,533,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joef279 View Post
According to the article you linked, the request will go through the NY DoH Vital records division using the same process anyone else would use to request a BC copy. Fee is $45 (+8 if noT ordering in person). No reason to think the process will be different, although the request forms will need to be changed to differentiate between a OBC and ABC request.

The exception is for those born in New York City. Those will have to request through the NYC Department of Health. This will have to be the same for OBC requests as NYC maintains all the records. For current BC requests, NYC uses a third-party service for fulfillment. Cost is only $15.

Looks like both only require a driver license to get your own BC. It will be interesting to see proof required to obtain an OBC. As the names don’t match, you will need some way to prove you are the person on your OBC. Many people don’t have suitable paperwork.

From experience, I can say the process may be a long one - at least with NYC. When I requested some non-identifying information, I was first told that my file no longer existed. I had to do some digging and go higher up the ladder. Fortunately, someone I met gave me a name. Long story short - it took them almost a year to find my file. That was without the need to enter my data into a database to fulfill an online document request.

These are sealed records that are filed away in a warehouse. No one thought they would ever be needed again. Depending on age, some may not even be in the system - computers only became a thing in the 80s. Workers would rather avoid searching for old files. If there are numerous requests there may not be the manpower to do so in a timely manner.

I am thrilled about the bill being signed. I’m also checking my enthusiasm with the reality that it may be a long time for the OCB request to be fulfilled. May even have to fight past some low-level bureaucrats who claim your “file cannot be found.â€

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.
For anyone interested in the fees -

ORDER TYPE - - - - - - - - - - - FEES (per copy)
Online or Phone orders - - - - - $45 + $8 vendor processing fee per transaction (not per copy)
Walk-in orders - - - - - - - - - - $45
Mail orders - - - - - - - - - - - - $30

Old 11-30-2019, 12:41 PM

9 posts, read 6,803 times
Default for search guidance

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
Hi for search guidance, and get notified when the new form comes out, join

nyadoptees on fb.

Joan of nyadoptees

Old 11-30-2019, 12:54 PM

9 posts, read 6,803 times
For those adoptees born or adopted in ny state, sign up with the Ny state registry. https://www.health.ny.gov/vital_records/adoption.htm

If you moved or married, update the state with contact information. Or they can't write to you when there is a match.

Joan

Old 12-18-2019, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joanNY View Post
Hi for search guidance, and get notified when the new form comes out, join

nyadoptees on fb.

Joan of nyadoptees
Quote:
Originally Posted by joanNY View Post
For those adoptees born or adopted in ny state, sign up with the Ny state registry. https://www.health.ny.gov/vital_records/adoption.htm

If you moved or married, update the state with contact information. Or they can't write to you when there is a match.

Joan
Thanks, Joan. I'm very anti-facebook (deleted my account there a few years ago), so please post here when you know those details.

Do you know if I can apply for my OBC now, since I do know what my name was on my OBC? I know my birth mother. I've been in the NYS Registry for some time. Or is there some other layer that I'd need to go through since it was sealed? I don't want to send off a check unless I know I'm following the right procedure.

Old 12-19-2019, 10:00 AM

254 posts, read 340,821 times
Just went into NYC Health Department Chat. I was told to check back on January 15th as there is no current policy / request form for adoptees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption