Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2020, 06:05 AM

254 posts, read 340,821 times

Advertisements

Good afternoon. I am processing your application and unfortunately since our office was closed for so long due to the pandemic, the check we have here is now expired. Please send us a check or money order in the amount of $15 in order for us to complete your order. Payable to NYC Dept. of Health.

Please place a note with the check providing your name, phone number and email address and state it is a replacement payment for a pre-adoption record and send to:

NYCDOHMH Office of Vital Records
125 Worth Street Room 119
New York New York 10013
Attn: Ms. Truberg – Pre-adoption Order

Thank you,
Ms. Truberg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2020, 04:09 PM

5,014 posts, read 7,403,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joef279 View Post
In both communications I received from NYC, they specifically asked if the check they had was still good or if I was going to send a new one. These were not canned responses, and gave the impression they were actually working on my application.
I sent a follow-up message asking if they could simply confirm that they had received my application, that I would appreciate knowing that much, but got no response. I also checked with my credit union to see if a check I wrote in January could still be valid but they said no, after three months it is no longer valid. So I'm waiting for a personal email from NYC asking me to reissue a check.

Old 11-20-2020, 11:47 PM

82 posts, read 78,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
I sent a follow-up message asking if they could simply confirm that they had received my application, that I would appreciate knowing that much, but got no response. I also checked with my credit union to see if a check I wrote in January could still be valid but they said no, after three months it is no longer valid. So I'm waiting for a personal email from NYC asking me to reissue a check.
It's insane.

It has been almost 14 weeks since my first contact in August told me it would take 12-14 weeks to process my application.

It's been a month since they told me they were starting on my January application and that what the person told me in August was not true.

In the month since they contacted me, the have still not cashed my check. (I spoke with my bank and they have assured me they will honor it). I send an email every week asking about the status and to know when/if they will deposit my check. No response at all. Last month they told me they could not start working on the application until payment was made... if true, they have done nothing for the past month.

That's in addition to the two months they did nothing between Jan 15 and the mid-March shutdowns. And the three months from August to November when they originally told me they were working on it.

I seriously wonder if they have any intention of providing the information. It's entirely possible this department doesn't agree with the law and is intentionally finding ways to avoid compliance.

I'm going to look through my old files. At one point I had a contact in that department - a lawyer pretty high up. Maybe making some noise will get these people moving. I might also reach out to my local state representative. They don't do much else. Maybe some pressure from Albany will help.

There's simply no excuse for this. Even assuming nothing could get done during the shutdown period (March-August), there are still five months where absolutely nothing has been done.

Old 11-21-2020, 08:41 PM

I sent an email to NYC. Here is the response I received:

Quote:
Due to COIVD 19 we are required to limit the number of employees gathered in the office and comply with social distancing guidelines. We have recently resumed the processing these request and are working on January and February requests. The sealed records are of site and we are required to go retrieve the record prepare them for issuance. The process of preparing the record or issuance takes 16 weeks. wWe apoligie fo rhte interruption in services it was most unfortunately that we have a pandemic across the global work. We appreciate your patience during tis very challeing times.
Now they are at 16 weeks. (In August I was told 12-14). They ignored all my questions. No answer as to when or if my payment will be deposited. No answer as to why they stopped responding to my emails. No mention of why they did absolutely nothing from January to March. No acknowledgment that they told me in August it was being done and it would take 12-14 weeks (it's now 14 weeks and they haven't started).

They are hiding behind COVID as an excuse to avoid doing their job. Their "work from home" day probably involves playing the home version of "Wheel of Fortune."

My response to the above email was probably worded a bit more sternly than it should have been. My application surely went from the bottom of the pile to the trash bin.

I tried reaching out to the lawyer I was in contact with at that agency. Too many people must have found out about him because his email now only accepts whitelisted email. If you're not on his list, you get bounced. Not that complaining will do any good. These are stereotypical lazy government lackeys who can't get fired.

I knew going in it would take a while. It's the bald-faced lies that drive me crazy.

Old 11-22-2020, 05:44 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,529,254 times
Quote:
I sent an email to NYC. Here is the response I received:

Now they are at 16 weeks. (In August I was told 12-14). They ignored all my questions. No answer as to when or if my payment will be deposited. No answer as to why they stopped responding to my emails. No mention of why they did absolutely nothing from January to March. No acknowledgment that they told me in August it was being done and it would take 12-14 weeks (it's now 14 weeks and they haven't started).

They are hiding behind COVID as an excuse to avoid doing their job. Their "work from home" day probably involves playing the home version of "Wheel of Fortune."

My response to the above email was probably worded a bit more sternly than it should have been. My application surely went from the bottom of the pile to the trash bin.

I tried reaching out to the lawyer I was in contact with at that agency. Too many people must have found out about him because his email now only accepts whitelisted email. If you're not on his list, you get bounced. Not that complaining will do any good. These are stereotypical lazy government lackeys who can't get fired.

I knew going in it would take a while. It's the bald-faced lies that drive me crazy.
I'm so sorry they continue to d*ck you around. Thanks so much for posting to keep the thread updated. I don't doubt there are people coming here via a google search that are reading but haven't joined to comment.

It really sucks they're not answering your questions, if they would it wouldn't be "as bad". There's nothing worst then being ignored. It would be nice if they would grab your app and deposit your check since you've been in contact with them. You've told them that your bank will honor that check. No one would know if they did that for you. It's the least they can do since you have been in contact with them.

Honestly, I think anyone in your shoes that has tried to be patient the last eleven months would also lose their cool months ago, so you're not doing too bad if your email was "stern". I think had it been me, I may have thrown at least one eff bomb in it. Eleven months is a long time to be patient. If you're feeling bad about your last email, follow it up by apologizing, saying something to the effect of how frustrating it is to be eleven months into it and your check has not been deposited yet which is beyond frustrating since your bank will still honor it. I'd also throw in that if they were in your shoes, they'd be frustrated too. Also add that you do understand they're working from home and that it must not be easy, maybe frustrating for them because they don't have what they need at their finger tips, even if I didn't feel that way, you get more with honey then with vinegar. Saying something to the effect that you know it's not their fault even though I personally think they could be doing a lot more then what they are. It wouldn't surprise me if they're barely working but instead dealing with their kids having to do remote schooling if NY is like NJ.

I also wonder what they were doing from January to March before the shut downs. I think they just were not prepared for the amount of apps that they got because at the very least, your check should have been deposited before they shut down. I agree that they're hiding behind COVID as an excuse, but COVID does not explain what they did for those 3 months before.

I think after emailing to throw some honey on it, that if they do email you back, depending on the reply, you really should consider contacting your state rep next. They may be able to do something to help. People have been doing that in other states with the government COVID money that should have gotten a check but did not. Their state rep was able to get them a check or at least answers to why they did not get one.

Old 11-22-2020, 06:52 AM

Surprisingly, they did respond to my email. I find it very odd _when_ they decide to email... weekends, late at night. My feeling is that these are not regular workers. Probably some halfwit part-timers with minimal training.

Here is their response:

Quote:
A pre-adoption record take 26 weeks to be reached for review and processing. There were thousands of orders received in the first 2 months and we had not reached many. In mid-March the pandemic hit and we suspended the processing until September. Unfortunately it is not a fast process. When it is reached and date entered into the system you will receive an email that the process has beguin.
A few important points:

1. In August I was told my application was being processed and would take 12-14 weeks.

2. In October, they contacted me. I was told they were working on my application and needed to resolve payment. They agreed to deposit my original check (and refunded me the redundant online payment).

3. They wrote 26 weeks in the email, but just clarified that was a typo. It should read 16 weeks. This is still up from the 12-14 weeks stated in August.

They continue to avoid the question and simply scream "pandemic!"

As I write this, I am going back and forth with someone in NYC DOH. I'm surprised they have put up with me this long. They just asked for some details on my app and claimed they will look up the status.

I also asked in the past three emails for the department's process to file a complaint. They continue to ignore that request.

If I don't get some coherent response by tomorrow, I think it's time to reach out to my state legislators.

I totally get the honey/vinegar thing. I prefer to match their response. They give me BS, I raise the volume. They come back with acknowledgement that I have valid questions, and I turn down the volume.

Either way, I think anyone who has been waiting since January and still hasn't had their check clear should file a formal complaint with that department. If enough people make some noise, perhaps something will be done. It's highly likely the "higher ups" have no idea the level of incompetence.

Update: in the email back and forth (all before 9am on a Sunday morning!) I just received a very strange response. I am now told that they cannot find my application in the system. This is after being told it was there in August, and being contacted by them in October when they were "working on my file."

It is absolutely mind-blowing how incompetent these people are.

Old 11-22-2020, 11:26 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,529,254 times
Quote:
Surprisingly, they did respond to my email. I find it very odd _when_ they decide to email... weekends, late at night. My feeling is that these are not regular workers. Probably some halfwit part-timers with minimal training.

Here is their response:

A few important points:

1. In August I was told my application was being processed and would take 12-14 weeks.

2. In October, they contacted me. I was told they were working on my application and needed to resolve payment. They agreed to deposit my original check (and refunded me the redundant online payment).

3. They wrote 26 weeks in the email, but just clarified that was a typo. It should read 16 weeks. This is still up from the 12-14 weeks stated in August.

They continue to avoid the question and simply scream "pandemic!"

As I write this, I am going back and forth with someone in NYC DOH. I'm surprised they have put up with me this long. They just asked for some details on my app and claimed they will look up the status.

I also asked in the past three emails for the department's process to file a complaint. They continue to ignore that request.

If I don't get some coherent response by tomorrow, I think it's time to reach out to my state legislators.

I totally get the honey/vinegar thing. I prefer to match their response. They give me BS, I raise the volume. They come back with acknowledgement that I have valid questions, and I turn down the volume.

Either way, I think anyone who has been waiting since January and still hasn't had their check clear should file a formal complaint with that department. If enough people make some noise, perhaps something will be done. It's highly likely the "higher ups" have no idea the level of incompetence.

Update: in the email back and forth (all before 9am on a Sunday morning!) I just received a very strange response. I am now told that they cannot find my application in the system. This is after being told it was there in August, and being contacted by them in October when they were "working on my file."

It is absolutely mind-blowing how incompetent these people are.
I had noticed how incompetent they were with some of the other email replies. They surely don't think when they type or read it to see if it even resembles English.

I went back over the thread. To report it, contact the NY Adoptee rights on FB to see if they know. Here is their website in case there's issues with the FB. The gal Joan that posted about them has only been here a few times so I don't suggest sending her a DM here in case she doesn't get it.

They probably "lost" your application due to your emails. It wouldn't surprise me.

Old 11-23-2020, 09:26 AM

This just keeps getting better.

After some back and forth with another email address I had in that department, Heather Truberg finally responded to me. Her replay was another non-answer. I pointed out that she contacted me in October to tell me she was working on my application. She also told me at the time my check would be deposited "the next day."

Her response to that was:

Quote:
Unfortunately things can change as we go along since we are working with limited staff and schedules due to the pandemic. We are working on getting them out as fast as possible. As soon as I have an update I will let you know.
These lying twits certainly know how to avoid answering a question. No mention of why my application is not showing up in the system. No mention of when or if they plan on depositing my check.

I am more and more convinced that this is all a scam and they have no intention of processing ANY applications. They are bottom-feeders.

@Roselvr Thanks - I will reach out to that group. It wouldn't surprise me to learn that no one has received anything from NYC aside from lip-service.

Old 11-23-2020, 08:40 PM

5,014 posts, read 7,403,355 times
They have how many thousands of applications and everyone wants theirs yesterday. If they spend the time answering hundreds of emails then that is time they're not spending on processing the applications. It takes time just to read your emails and send a canned response. So it's only going to end up delaying what you want by attempting to contact them.

Old 11-24-2020, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
They have how many thousands of applications and everyone wants theirs yesterday. If they spend the time answering hundreds of emails then that is time they're not spending on processing the applications. It takes time just to read your emails and send a canned response. So it's only going to end up delaying what you want by attempting to contact them.

You have a point. However, you may have missed the fact that they contacted me. The last communication I had from them in October was them claiming my check would be deposited the next day.

I gave it some time. When I saw my check still had not cleared, I asked what the status was.

When I was finally able to get a response, I was told my application was not in the system. They are not sending canned responses... they are writing BS responses. A simple answer of "we have your application and check" would have sufficed. They instead wasted time and created more confusion by telling me things were being worked on when they were not and then implying they lost my application.

To your point, I think ANY communication with them creates delays. We are dealing with barely functional morons. Remembering to get out of bed in the morning must be a monumental task for these hack bureaucrats.

In direct contradiction to what they told me in August and again in October, my January application is NOT being worked on and has not even been entered into the system. Their current implication is that it might be several months before the process starts.

Want to save them the trouble of an email exchange? Have them respond with a coherent email that answers a simple question. Don't tell someone you are working on something you are not.

If things are that backed up, don't tell people 12-14 weeks (or now, 16 weeks) when you really mean it will take over a year for your application to be LOOKED at. A simple notice on the website would save everyone a lot of trouble.

This is not on me, or anyone who tries to find out why it takes them 10+ months to simply deposit a check. This is entirely on them. It is dysfunctional bureaucracy and gross incompetence at the highest level. Whether through lack of mental ability or malfeasance (probably both), they are not doing their job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption