Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 02:19 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,747,937 times

Advertisements

At the bottom of each "old" thread there is the following statement/notification:

"Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage any additional points of view."

"If you reply, this thread will be bumped to the top of the forum."
Seems pretty clear to me that the CD powers that be are actively encouraging the revival of older threads, so I don't know why someone always feels the need to come along and say "you realize this thread is blah blah years old, right?" instead of just moving along if it doesn't interest you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2013, 03:03 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,109,116 times
I wondered why I was suddenly getting so many reps for such an old post I made.

Old 04-19-2013, 06:46 PM

1,122 posts, read 3,507,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally_Sparrow View Post
At the bottom of each "old" thread there is the following statement/notification:

"Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage any additional points of view."

Seems pretty clear to me that the CD powers that be are actively encouraging the revival of older threads, so I don't know why someone always feels the need to come along and say "you realize this thread is blah blah years old, right?" instead of just moving along if it doesn't interest you.
Because the poster was responding to a question asked three years ago about a situation that, for that reason, no longer applies and that is likely that the OP will never read anyway. It seemed like the poster didn't realize these things.

Old 04-19-2013, 11:17 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,238,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally_Sparrow View Post

Love it!

Old 04-22-2013, 12:54 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,295,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizita View Post
Because the poster was responding to a question asked three years ago about a situation that, for that reason, no longer applies and that is likely that the OP will never read anyway. It seemed like the poster didn't realize these things.
It may "no longer" apply to THAT situation, but you can bet there are others in the same boat.

Old 04-22-2013, 05:19 PM

62 posts, read 116,958 times
Well, for those who may still be interested in this question, we adopted our foster son on his third birthday, and changed his name completely. It has never been an issue whatsoever, and he is now almost 17. Kids are able to adapt to most things easily, but for those of you in limbo between fostering and adoption and want to change a very young child's name, if you use a nickname and never use your child's given name then it really isn't a big deal at all. We wanted to make it very difficult for his bio parents to ever find him, considering the type of people they are (now serving very long prison sentences), so we just called him "B" until the adoption hearing when we had his name legally changed. DSS would not let us call him by the name we had picked out until our adoption was legal. His given name started with a "B" and his new name did also, so DSS was ok with that.

Old 04-22-2013, 06:20 PM

1,851 posts, read 3,401,229 times
Good point. Also, sometimes the court and agency actually prefer or mandate that the child's name be changed, especially if their birth name poses a safety threat to them and the new family because of the birth parent's past.

And I do think kids can and will adapt in the right environment.

Old 04-22-2013, 08:44 PM

167 posts, read 187,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
Good point. Also, sometimes the court and agency actually prefer or mandate that the child's name be changed, especially if their birth name poses a safety threat to them and the new family because of the birth parent's past.

And I do think kids can and will adapt in the right environment.
Have a source handy that proves your point, that our judicial system/the courts/adoption agencies mandate that a child's name be changed? Are you certain that you aren't confusing all this with our federal witness protection program?

Old 04-22-2013, 10:04 PM

1,851 posts, read 3,401,229 times
Nope. And I don't care to find one. I'm not looking to prove anything to you. However, if you'd like you can attend a local adoption class given by your state's foster care system and hear the stories for yourself. You are also welcome to sit in on family court hearings where TPRs are being ordered. As oft repeated on this forum, every adoption case is different.

Not all children are snatched away from birth parents who love them dearly and are unfairly coerced to relinquish their child. Some children have histories, bad ones. Terrible ones. And in these instances, it is often highly recommended or yes, even ordered that a name change be made.

In the case of infants, some birth mothers don't name their baby, their OBC says "baby boy" or "baby girl". In cases of abandonment, there is no name known. Here again, the social worker and judge will indeed mandate/order that a name be provided for the child. It really isn't as sinister as you imply.

Old 04-22-2013, 11:47 PM

1,122 posts, read 3,507,922 times
Interestingly I found out doing a search that one need a court approval from a judge to change an adopted child's name and if the child is older you have to generally give a compelling reason. I hope that's true in all states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption