Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 06:16 PM

53 posts, read 126,200 times

Advertisements

Thanks Aries63 I think that is the reassurance that I needed. I truly don't mind seeing them outside and I do think they are kinda cute. I just didn't know how problematic they were. They certainly won't detract from my dream of moving to NM.

We just came back from a 2 week trip to NM and I only saw one while hiking around El Morro. I am already planning my trip for next year!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2011, 06:58 PM

1,568 posts, read 4,435,685 times
I enjoy playing hide-and-seek with this guy who resides under a planter situated on one of our bancos.

Old 05-30-2011, 09:02 PM

53 posts, read 126,200 times
Great pic's guys. I think I like nmguy's picture a little bit better (the little fellow is outside!) Thanks for the entertainment!

Old 05-30-2011, 09:55 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,937,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cunnm2010 View Post
Great pic's guys. I think I like nmguy's picture a little bit better (the little fellow is outside!)
Oh yah? OK, how about: "Louie The Lizard. Photo by Candace E. Sanchez, taken April 18, 2010." (My wife)

Rich

Old 05-30-2011, 10:38 PM

1,741 posts, read 2,640,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lobo View Post
I've never had one in my house, but I see them scurry from bush to bush outside during the warm months quite often -- or I hear them in the bushes. They are harmless. A lizard's tail may come off if you grab it by its tail. It's a defense tactic to help them escape. The tail will flop around though as if it is still alive.

I am a person who does get a bit skiddish with lizards. I live in Barelas in the heart of the city near Downtown and I see them quite often outside. To be honest, they freak me out, even when I see them scurrying around outside. The scurrying actually is part of the reason for my unease, but all reptillians such as chameleons, iguanas and snakes freak me out.

But what really freaks me out is the thought of one being in my house. Luckily I've only had two experiences with lizards in my house. Just last year a lizard scurried into my house when I opened the front door to go outside. I was able to corner him and guide him back outside with a broom.

The other experience happened when I was young. A lizard found its way into my family's home and my brother and I tried to get it out. Actually, I stood frightened on top of the couch while my brother tried to get it out. He was less bothered by the lizard and actually tried to catch it.

Unfortunately, he grabbed it by the tail and the tail came off just as Lobo describes. Seeing this and the aftermath really freaked me out, and I think cemented my skiddishness with lizards. Eventually he was able to capture the now tail-less lizard and take it outside. I was left, still standing on the couch, with the lizard's tail on the floor in our living room until my brother came back in and threw it away.

In my defense, I've never been frightened by mice and rats, and my brother is deathly afraid of them.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:07 AM

350 posts, read 770,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cunnm2010 View Post
There are alot of posts about spiders and snakes, but what about those little lizards. I have seen them in NM, mostly when hiking or out in the boonies, but I have never seen one in ABQ.

My DH and I want to move to NM sometime in the near future and was wondering about those little guys. I don't mind if they stay outside but I think I would freak if there was one in my house. I asked my hubby how would you get one of those out of your house, it's not like you can set a mouse trap out.

My thoughts would be they are more common out on the Westside, Rio Rancho, Corrales, Placitas or the Sandia Heights. So any information would be great, it might effect where I would like to settle down and enjoy NM.
They're all over my back yard in Barelas near downtown ABQ. I love em'! They're really cool looking - flourescent blue and green. Never had one in the house, but I don't think they're that interested in coming in. They seem to be more concerned with eating roaches and bugs and running around really fast.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:26 AM

3,061 posts, read 8,382,870 times
I love the lizards, they're cute. My daughter refers to them as "snakes with legs". My dogs stay busy trying to catch them. Grandson thinks they are cool and is always trying to catch one.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:32 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,923,494 times
The landscapers have upset an adult racer in the front yard, and it wants to come in the house!

I picked it up and tried to take it to the backyard, but it got away.....

Old 05-31-2011, 12:11 PM

1,568 posts, read 4,435,685 times
This guy, who hangs out on one of our bancos, is into doing pushups . . . especially when he thinks somebody's invading his turf.

Old 05-31-2011, 01:25 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,463,895 times
If I saw a lizard in my house, to be honest, I would probably ignore it after a couple of curious minutes. Chances are he would only be passing through and if I was lucky he would eat something that I really didn't want in my house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque