Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 10:38 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,878,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanrice View Post
Why do you hate roadrunners?
Because they eat lizards........it broke my heart when I saw a roadrunner going across the road several years ago with a horned toad in its mouth. I especially love them, and they are so rare these days because of the increasing scarcity of the red harvester ants.

Last edited by Cathy4017; 06-03-2011 at 11:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 01:58 PM

53 posts, read 125,697 times
Love all the pic's, they are great.

It's reassuring to hear Justin has lived in the desert for many years and only had 1 baby lizard in his house. Thats how I would envision a lizard would invite himself in, with the doors wide open for awhile. Well rest assured I will make sure my doors close behind me at all times. I know they don't really want to be inside anyway.

If one was in the house it would drive my cairn terrier insane. He is such a little vermin hunter. Last night he killed a cricket (yea), at least he did all the dirty work for me!

Old 06-03-2011, 08:15 PM

372 posts, read 711,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Because they eat lizards........it broke my heart when I saw a roadrunner going across the road several years ago with a horned toad in its mouth. I especially love them, and they are so rare these days because of the increasing scarcity of the red harvester ants.
While I don't want a species to disappear, I do have to say that eating lizards should not be a reason for hating roadrunners. It is nature, they have every right to survive as much as that lizard. Without roadrunners, something else would eat the lizards. In the end, something will eat that roadrunner and life goes on.

Old 06-03-2011, 08:36 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,878,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanrice View Post
While I don't want a species to disappear, I do have to say that eating lizards should not be a reason for hating roadrunners. It is nature, they have every right to survive as much as that lizard. Without roadrunners, something else would eat the lizards. In the end, something will eat that roadrunner and life goes on.
I already noted that it is nature in my previous post.

I wouldn't worry about the fact that I don't like roadrunners......they're going to do what roadrunners do, whether I like them or not.

Old 06-05-2011, 12:30 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cunnm2010 View Post
but what about those little lizards.

My thoughts would be they are more common out on the Westside, Rio Rancho, Corrales, Placitas or the Sandia Heights. So any information would be great, it might effect where I would like to settle down and enjoy NM.
Yep. Here is a Rio Rancho lizard I managed to shoot (a picture of) at Hot Tamales:

Rich

Old 06-05-2011, 01:36 PM

44 posts, read 72,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cunnm2010 View Post
There are alot of posts about spiders and snakes, but what about those little lizards. I have seen them in NM, mostly when hiking or out in the boonies, but I have never seen one in ABQ.

My DH and I want to move to NM sometime in the near future and was wondering about those little guys. I don't mind if they stay outside but I think I would freak if there was one in my house. I asked my hubby how would you get one of those out of your house, it's not like you can set a mouse trap out.

My thoughts would be they are more common out on the Westside, Rio Rancho, Corrales, Placitas or the Sandia Heights. So any information would be great, it might effect where I would like to settle down and enjoy NM.
When we lived in NM not once did a lizard go inside our home. I live in Florida and they are all over the place. I see 2 lizards on my fence as I type this. They will get in if you don't close the door fast enough in this swamp. They will get out by themselves but if you see them throw a towel and take them outside.

Old 06-06-2011, 05:17 AM

1,741 posts, read 2,628,852 times
I must've jinxed myself talking about this because I had to deal with a lizard in my house yesterday morning. I was reading the Sunday paper when I noticed something crawl up the curtain of my living room window. In shadow it looked huge but I knew it was some kind of lizard. As I scrambled to figure out what to do I saw through the sheer curtain that it was now resting on the windowsill looking out the window. I ended up using a plastic shoebox to catch it. I observed it for a little while before letting it go outside. On closer inspection it was a baby lizard, and it was sorta cute. It reminded me of the Geico Gecko (who I get a kick out of).

I still don't want them inside my house but I have more of an appreciation for how harmless and innocent lizards are. The innocence I gleaned while I was trying to get him into the box. I didn't want to frighten him and have him scurry away so I sorta snuck up behind him with the box. While doing so I saw him up close, for a minute or so, resting on the windowsill just gazing out the window. His eyes reminded me of how a dog will stare at something for a long time if left undisturbed. It was too sweet.

Old 06-19-2011, 09:29 AM

1,633 posts, read 3,742,942 times
I just saw this on my wall this morning :

http://berncohomes.com/images/lizard1.JPG (broken link)http://berncohomes.com/images/lizard2.JPG (broken link)

Old 06-19-2011, 09:58 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,185,180 times
Looks like the tail isn't original.

As our dear cat can attest, tails break off very easily in order to allow the lizard (well, most of the lizard) to escape predators. Apparently they grow back.

Great picture. I'm afraid that the aftermarket tail is going to affect the resale value of your lizard though. :-D

Old 07-13-2011, 05:15 AM

48 posts, read 81,732 times
What a great thread!

After living in Hawaii for 5 years I learned to LOVE having geckos in our house - cut down on all other types of bugs. Did discover that when we had cats the geckos didn't come around as much. Didn't know about the giant spiders - what is up with that? YUCK Hmmmm.... Are there a lot of them? As for the cockroaches are they the giant flying ones like in hawaii or ???

You guys are so great - I love reading all of your posts. Very helpful to those of us considering a transfer down to NM.

Peace
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque