Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 11:26 AM

53 posts, read 125,731 times

Advertisements

There are alot of posts about spiders and snakes, but what about those little lizards. I have seen them in NM, mostly when hiking or out in the boonies, but I have never seen one in ABQ.

My DH and I want to move to NM sometime in the near future and was wondering about those little guys. I don't mind if they stay outside but I think I would freak if there was one in my house. I asked my hubby how would you get one of those out of your house, it's not like you can set a mouse trap out.

My thoughts would be they are more common out on the Westside, Rio Rancho, Corrales, Placitas or the Sandia Heights. So any information would be great, it might effect where I would like to settle down and enjoy NM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2011, 11:40 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,783,825 times
Lizards are your friends. If they get inside they won't eat much and you probably don't want to know what critters they will eat...

Albuquerque has lizards...

Rich

Old 05-29-2011, 12:04 PM

1,566 posts, read 4,425,601 times
A lizard once invited himself into my house. Got rid of him by setting out a piece of lettuce (romaine) and throwing a bathroom towel on him when he decided to partake.

Old 05-29-2011, 12:12 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,652,324 times
We have lizards in AZ. as well. My Yorkie loves to hunt, and eat them.

Old 05-29-2011, 12:15 PM

923 posts, read 2,420,346 times
Default !

I've never had one in my house, but I see them scurry from bush to bush outside during the warm months quite often -- or I hear them in the bushes. They are harmless. A lizard's tail may come off if you grab it by its tail. It's a defense tactic to help them escape. The tail will flop around though as if it is still alive.

Now one time we had a neighbor who had a Komodo Dragon. It had gotten loose and found its way to our backyard where it buried itself under the fall leaves (probably to try and keep warm) and died. We had no idea it was there until we were bagging leaves and picked it up in a handful of leaves. At first we thought it was a rubber toy, but then realized it was real. That things was 3/4 the length of our picnic table. We didn't know who it belonged to until the next spring when we were at a neighbor's BBQ and someone asked one of the neighbors if they'd ever found their escaped Komodo. DH and I both looked at each other and then we had to reveal their pet's fate.

That's my only lizard story.

Old 05-29-2011, 01:00 PM

53 posts, read 125,731 times
Well we do have a cairn terrier who loves to hunt, here in the Midwest it's mostly mice, chipmunks and bunnies. Our little terrier just recently caught and killed a mouse in the backyard.

We have lived in our house for 21 years and have had only 1 mouse in our house. We have had plenty in the garage, the yard and a couple of times in our sunroom. We once had a full grown squirrel in our house (that was interesting.)

I laughed at Lobo's story. About a month ago I was walking the dog and saw a sign posted regarding a lost lizard with a picture. The sign said if you see me please call this number, a typical lost animal sign. I was thinking to myself I sure hope I don't see that!

I think I will keep plenty of romaine in the fridge!

Old 05-29-2011, 01:51 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,369,707 times
They are very small, skittish creatures. They are also harmless.

If you stock up on lettuce, prepare to eat a lot of salad.

Old 05-29-2011, 05:35 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,881,679 times
I see lizards all the time, and I don't mind having them in the house at all....different strokes, I guess.

Old 05-29-2011, 05:45 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,783,825 times

Baby lizard enjoying our Berba carpet...

Old 05-29-2011, 05:51 PM

5,045 posts, read 7,421,895 times
Of all the things to worry about (and I've been called a "worry-wart") I can't think of something to worry less about than the little lizards we have around here. You are right that you find more of them in the more rural and outlying parts of town like the ones you mentioned. In 22 years of living in the more developed parts of town I have never seen one in my house, and the ones I see occasionally outside don't ever bother me, in fact I enjoy seeing them, there is something cheerful about how they scurry about, they are so much better adapted to this environment than I am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque