Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 08:51 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Since my front lawn is now gravel, I should expect more lizards, huh?
My whole yard is now lawn free! It does need some landscaping. Have not noticed more lizards yet. But I notice more doves and more butterflies. That make any sense?

Rich
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 09:07 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,868,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
My whole yard is now lawn free! It does need some landscaping. Have not noticed more lizards yet. But I notice more doves and more butterflies. That make any sense?

Rich
If you have a lot of butterflies, I would guess that they are attracted to whatever you do have in the yard right now.

I need to get my hummingbird feeder out (if I can find the box it is in)....I went out on the patio the other day, and there was a hummer who seemed to be waiting for me to put something out!

But I don't see any hooks/hangers left by the previous owner for same, so.....

The dogs need a little lawn to play on, so as long as I have them, I will probably always have at least a tiny bit of yard. It's not that big, about 15' x 60' or so. It has a small one-station sprinkler system, so that will be nice.

I don't have alley access here, so I don't have to worry about keeping it cleared.

The Nazi code enforcers in Alamo are getting really bad--looking for extra income in fines, etc. I was cited....but I looked up and down the alley. The neighbors were much worse, so I guess they bribed them or something.....LOL!!

Old 06-01-2011, 12:40 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,360,450 times
I just shooed a lizard out of my kitchen about a half hour ago. Surprised the dogs didn't find him/her first. I just tossed a dish towel over it and opened the patio door and let him go free.

Old 06-01-2011, 12:40 PM

53 posts, read 125,583 times
Mmm, cockroaches you say. I didn't know that was something I needed to worry about. I have never had a problem here in Illinois with cockroaches in any home I have lived in and quite frankly never see them anywhere.

Just from reading the forums I have read that cockroaches like the University Area, I think thats what is referred to as the Getto Area. I do like the Ridgecrest area but I don't know if that is considered to be in that neighborhood.

What about the North Valley? I really like the North Valley, what would I have to contend with there?

Old 06-01-2011, 01:13 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,360,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cunnm2010 View Post
What about the North Valley? I really like the North Valley, what would I have to contend with there?
Probably the same critters as any part of the city. I've seen cockroaches at the fairgrounds while attending a concert.

I wouldn't overly worry. I do not like snakes or spiders, but I don't let that stop me from doing whatever. Just don't go putting your hands or feet in dark places where they could be hiding. I've seen two tarantulas since I've been here and 0 snakes (alive ones that is). None of them will pick you up and carry you off, though some tarantulas look big enough.

Old 06-01-2011, 01:29 PM

53 posts, read 125,583 times
I love NM way too much to let any critter stop me. It is nice to come on the forums to get educated from the locals! Thanks!

Old 06-01-2011, 01:31 PM

5,013 posts, read 7,401,352 times
Ridgecrest area (where I live) has well-watered parks with grass and medians and people who love lawns, all of which favor the black waterbug-type roach. I hardly ever see any lizards at all, but I do see lots of roaches at night during the warm season, in the grass, gardens, around water-main covers, just about anywhere. And they can slip into your house much more readily than lizards can. The city has a cockroach control service and will send someone out to treat sewer manholes on your street if requested. We put out a gel in certain active spots outside the house which seems to control them pretty well.

When I lived in the North Valley I was told by residents there "we don't have roaches down here", and it seemed almost true, I saw only one in two years. I did see more lizards. And there were mosquitoes which I didn't have so much on the east side of town.

Old 06-01-2011, 04:52 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,076,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63
... Valley ... "we don't have roaches down here" ...
I've heard that also. Mosquito bites, but no crunchy moistness under your foot at night.

Old 06-01-2011, 06:32 PM

1,566 posts, read 4,422,660 times
I've always considered lizards, snakes, rabbits, etc., as being part of the natural landscape. As long as I keep my distance, sip from a glass of cabernet, and observe, there's no problem.

Discovering an amorous cricket inside the house, on the other hand, is another story.

Last edited by nmguy; 06-01-2011 at 07:03 PM..

Old 06-01-2011, 06:59 PM

5,013 posts, read 7,401,352 times
Some foothills areas (and closer-in areas) have issues with prairie dogs, coyotes, other areas have pack-rats, feral pigs, I've even heard from someone who claimed to have been attacked by a jackrabbit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque