Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2008, 08:50 AM

382 posts, read 1,227,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradly View Post
Most people make albuquerque sound really bad and crazy but honestly.. the crime rate has decreased so much and the south valley is <u>not</u> apart of albuquerque city limits which is good, but even in that area there is not much crime considering thats were some relatives used to live and it was very quiet. And second the state fair area..not as bad as it used to be it had troubles back in the 90's over the years it has all changed. Lots of development still the 3rd fastest growing!
Maybe it was just a bad week near the Fair Grounds?

Last edited by trappedinNM; 10-05-2008 at 08:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2008, 09:11 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,633,610 times
Thanks for that map of where the crime is happening ''Trapped in NM''. I love NM but i'm sick of the same Yahoos rearrested time and time again with a rap sheet a mile long. So glad that new prison is being built in Clayton and i'll pay more in taxes to lock them up longer if they aren't willing to change their lives around. Hell go to trade school as i see Auto Mechanics and HVAC techs are paying over $100,000 a year with 5 years in the field.

Old 03-22-2008, 12:01 PM

68 posts, read 455,764 times
$100,000 a year - can you do those programs at night part time, and do you think a 50 year old woman could do that?

Old 03-22-2008, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
Thanks for that map of where the crime is happening ''Trapped in NM''. I love NM but i'm sick of the same Yahoos rearrested time and time again with a rap sheet a mile long. So glad that new prison is being built in Clayton and i'll pay more in taxes to lock them up longer if they aren't willing to change their lives around. Hell go to trade school as i see Auto Mechanics and HVAC techs are paying over $100,000 a year with 5 years in the field.
That was just the last 7 days. Sad.

I agree there is a shortage of qualified workers. The big problem we have as employers in the trade sector is finding a 25 year old that is not full of tattoos and has a clean criminal record.

Old 03-22-2008, 03:32 PM

68 posts, read 455,764 times
I think that answered my question!

Old 03-22-2008, 03:36 PM

298 posts, read 1,149,665 times
I know I've said this before, but...where in the U.S. are you going to get away from crime? I guess you could move to a really suburban or rural area, but those places still get crime. I do think crime is an important issue. One of the best ways to combat the problem is to get involved. A neighborhood watch is highly effective. Get our on your feet or bicycle and spend time in the neighborhood. Volunteer at your local school. Teach. I don't have a study to prove it, but I'm sure that a more educated populous is going to have less problems with crime. Show people that there are better things they can do than drugs. Obviously, a lot of the crimes will be related to poverty, and all the stuff that goes with it--drugs, hopelessness, etc.

Old 03-22-2008, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksbyndsea View Post
I think that answered my question!
That was just a general comment related to the hire of new workers. An experienced trade is expensive.

Many trades are actually training and hiring older workers for their attitude and other life experience. Check out CNM for some great programs.

If 60 is the new 40, then you are only 30.

Old 03-22-2008, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksbyndsea View Post
$100,000 a year - can you do those programs at night part time, and do you think a 50 year old woman could do that?
Why not a 50 y/o women if she's willing to learn. Yeap the schools have night programs.

A couple of years back i recieved some info on a refrigeration school in Phoenix and they were featuring a 60 y/o man who was a truck driver and decided to go to HVAC school there for a career change and once he completed it he was hired on with a company there.

Most trade schools are in the 6 to 9 month range but the community colleges which are usually longer are less expensive in tuition costs.

Back in 1995 i rarely seen any women in the apartment trades field and now i'm seeing many enter into the industry as techs. Kinda like when i was in the Navy back in the 1980's they wouldn't allow women on war ships and now i see them on carriers loading bombs on the attack planes (discovery or military channel shows).

Old 03-22-2008, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trappedinNM View Post
That was just the last 7 days. Sad.

I agree there is a shortage of qualified workers. The big problem we have as employers in the trade sector is finding a 25 year old that is not full of tattoos and has a clean criminal record.
And pass a drug test and have a good work ethic as alot do not want to do hard physical labor.

Old 03-22-2008, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by penelopelp View Post
I know I've said this before, but...where in the U.S. are you going to get away from crime? I guess you could move to a really suburban or rural area, but those places still get crime. I do think crime is an important issue. One of the best ways to combat the problem is to get involved. A neighborhood watch is highly effective. Get our on your feet or bicycle and spend time in the neighborhood. Volunteer at your local school. Teach. I don't have a study to prove it, but I'm sure that a more educated populous is going to have less problems with crime. Show people that there are better things they can do than drugs. Obviously, a lot of the crimes will be related to poverty, and all the stuff that goes with it--drugs, hopelessness, etc.

Well stated Penelopelp !!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque