Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2024, 06:23 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,838,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
We just had someone review their visit to Albuquerque in this forum (and you posted in their thread) who said when she went to Texas recently nobody accepted cash, but when she came to Albuquerque everywhere accepted cash. So there you go. Another non-issue blown out of proportion.
Yep - I run across VERY few places that refuse cash, either in Albuquerque OR Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2024, 05:53 PM

986 posts, read 533,402 times
It probably would depend on where in Texas, and where in Albuquerque. I lived in Galveston, San Antonio and Houston, and lived in Albuquerque too many times to mention. The level of crime in the places I lived in Texas was not at an Abq level, and if I were an Abq merchant I wouldn't accept cash either. It's just a different environment in Abq, bad stuff can happen anywhere in the city.

To a certain extent that was true when I first came in 1985, but the level of violent crimes has increased by quite a lot since then. There's a certain kind of randomness that means one could take all the usual precautions, be street smart and still be attacked on the streets like I was 3 times during my last 1 1/2 year stay. Things will look OK and feel OK, and boom! There were a lot more times when my street smarts surely prevented something even worse happening.

Like that guy who recently went crazy on that woman at Bob's Burger. The video of it is still making me nervous. She had no inkling anything like that was going to come her way. It would have caught me out too, and it could have happened to any of us here. Just too many armed felons on the prowl who are usually high on drugs, not enough police and too many people w/ warrants who get turned loose on their own after more felony arrests. I personally have never seen anything to equal the problems there now.

Old 04-11-2024, 08:29 AM

5,038 posts, read 7,417,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenMM View Post
It probably would depend on where in Texas, and where in Albuquerque. I lived in Galveston, San Antonio and Houston, and lived in Albuquerque too many times to mention. The level of crime in the places I lived in Texas was not at an Abq level, and if I were an Abq merchant I wouldn't accept cash either. It's just a different environment in Abq, bad stuff can happen anywhere in the city.

To a certain extent that was true when I first came in 1985, but the level of violent crimes has increased by quite a lot since then. There's a certain kind of randomness that means one could take all the usual precautions, be street smart and still be attacked on the streets like I was 3 times during my last 1 1/2 year stay. Things will look OK and feel OK, and boom! There were a lot more times when my street smarts surely prevented something even worse happening.

Like that guy who recently went crazy on that woman at Bob's Burger. The video of it is still making me nervous. She had no inkling anything like that was going to come her way. It would have caught me out too, and it could have happened to any of us here. Just too many armed felons on the prowl who are usually high on drugs, not enough police and too many people w/ warrants who get turned loose on their own after more felony arrests. I personally have never seen anything to equal the problems there now.
You sure do move around a lot. I don't know anyone who has moved away recently or who is talking about leaving, except one neighbor who enlisted with the Navy. And many of my former retired colleagues are single females. It seems strange to me that it's mostly men on the forum who are afraid of crime. If it's so bad, why do your friends still live here? Why have property values in Albuquerque gone up by 7% in the last year?

You seem intentionally vague about where you are now, except to say "The South." You grew up in Mississippi. The average homicide rates in Mississippi, Louisiana, and Alabama over the last 5 years are higher than New Mexico's. You couldn't pay me enough to live in a Gulf Coast state. But I hope you're happy wherever you are.

Old 04-11-2024, 08:23 PM

192 posts, read 256,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
You sure do move around a lot. I don't know anyone who has moved away recently or who is talking about leaving, except one neighbor who enlisted with the Navy. And many of my former retired colleagues are single females. It seems strange to me that it's mostly men on the forum who are afraid of crime. If it's so bad, why do your friends still live here? Why have property values in Albuquerque gone up by 7% in the last year?

You seem intentionally vague about where you are now, except to say "The South." You grew up in Mississippi. The average homicide rates in Mississippi, Louisiana, and Alabama over the last 5 years are higher than New Mexico's. You couldn't pay me enough to live in a Gulf Coast state. But I hope you're happy wherever you are.
We are dead last in the country for violent crimes if you want to believe a left wing publication like Forbes. We've reached a point where the residents of Albuquerque don't bother reporting crime because it's a fruitless effort which even furthers the bogus statistics that crime is improving.
I somehow can't remember walking into a business that has half their products locked up but a few years ago.
https://www.forbes.com/advisor/legal...rate-by-state/

Old 04-12-2024, 11:18 AM

8 posts, read 1,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobR73 View Post
We are dead last in the country for violent crimes if you want to believe a left wing publication like Forbes. We've reached a point where the residents of Albuquerque don't bother reporting crime because it's a fruitless effort which even furthers the bogus statistics that crime is improving.
I somehow can't remember walking into a business that has half their products locked up but a few years ago.
https://www.forbes.com/advisor/legal...rate-by-state/
I know a woman who called APS when she saw a car being stolen. The officer said, "Is it your car?"

Old Today, 10:31 AM

5,038 posts, read 7,417,088 times
I give huge credit to local police for capturing Jaremy Smith, who killed a medic in South Carolina, made it through several states in her vehicle undetected, then killed NM State Police officer Justin Hare, before finally getting caught in Albuquerque, after a tip from a convenience store clerk. I think this speaks well of our local law enforcement and citizen cooperation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque