Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2016, 10:12 PM

312 posts, read 277,581 times

Advertisements

I once lived in a college town that ranked No. 1 for murders in the U.S. Statistical weirdness. Life went on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2016, 12:39 AM

163 posts, read 171,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nazz View Post
I once lived in a college town that ranked No. 1 for murders in the U.S. Statistical weirdness. Life went on.
So did I! Did it happen to be Richmond, Virginia??

Old 08-17-2016, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeshee1 View Post
So did I! Did it happen to be Richmond, Virginia??
Nope. Gainesville, Fla. A serial killer came to town not too long after, horrible, but that didn't have anything to do with the No. 1 ranking. But for a while we were Murder City USA. Really weird if you know the place.

Old 08-17-2016, 10:52 AM

1,043 posts, read 1,452,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsEhrmantraut View Post
Yep, sounds pretty classist. She grew up in poverty and has not been able to escape it. She is not a criminal, just poor.
Hey, I didn't say anything about your friend's personality or speculate about why she might be in such circumstances. Nor did I call her a criminal.

I did point out that living in a motel that fits into a $10/hr budget probably gives you a higher-than-average likelihood of witnessing criminal behavior, no matter what city you're living in. Can you really dispute that point?

Old 08-17-2016, 11:41 AM

16 posts, read 20,866 times
Property crime has risen 22% in the last five years. APD has a corrupt dept. and an officer shortage. The state lost 2,400 jobs in June, I believe. NM is a very impoverished state, always has been. I think it ranks #50 or close for child poverty and #50 for education. Just be aware that things are pretty bleak in general. It is a beautiful state though. I enjoy my visits to Abq and Santa Fe, but I don't know if I could live there. I know people who love living there and have made nice lives for themselves. I think I'm just spoiled living in CA, so YMMV.

Old 08-17-2016, 12:05 PM

1,663 posts, read 3,701,049 times
The state gained 1,000 jobs in June compared to May.
New Mexico : Southwest Information Office : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

The state gained 7,700 jobs in June compared to June 2015.
Bureau of Labor Statistics Data

Old 08-17-2016, 12:41 PM

153 posts, read 211,659 times
We are always topping lists, mostly negative. What we have experienced personally is property crimes (burglary, home invasion, and vandalism) However, many of the crimes are not reported or entered into their database so you don't have a very accurate account of what is happening and where. The murder crimes are usually drug related (we are only 3 hrs from Juarez, one of the most dangerous cities in the world) and obviously the fact that we top the nation in drug overdoses leaves you with a clue. You also have a big gang presence and roll call is always happening at any given time/place/task, so this leaves APD and the Sheriff's department scrambling (and short staffed)

Old 08-17-2016, 03:32 PM

123 posts, read 190,617 times
I am actually happy to see this discussion because I also saw the same article. I don't believe everything I see online but the headliner did make me take a second guess about NM which made me cringe. Being from the east, I don't know anything about NM so when one like myself sees something like "5th highest for violent crimes" you take notice - even if it is blindly. I really do appreciate the locals responding and setting it straight.

I have an opportunity to relocate next summer and it's really exciting! My daughter will be coming with and we are ready to move now but must wait on the timing. NM seems like it's going to be the perfect place for us and I see more positives versus the negative which goes with any large city, right? 😊

Old 08-17-2016, 04:30 PM

5,038 posts, read 7,417,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsEhrmantraut View Post
I enjoy my visits to Abq and Santa Fe, but I don't know if I could live there.
This is how I feel about CA. I like visiting for brief periods, but I couldn't live there because it is incredibly overpriced, overcrowded, with insane amounts of traffic in and around the main urban areas. I am always happy when I come back to NM.

Old 08-17-2016, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
This is how I feel about CA. I like visiting for brief periods, but I couldn't live there because it is incredibly overpriced, overcrowded, with insane amounts of traffic in and around the main urban areas. I am always happy when I come back to NM.
Good to hear. I'm headed your way in the New Year, mostly because of the "overpriced" part. The other stuff is part of the tradeoff for living here. Looked at many options and think I'll feel most at home in NM (Albuquerque).

Burglary is my biggest fear when comes to crime, since being an older guy I have some stuff that can't be replaced such as guitars and art.

Last edited by nazz; 08-17-2016 at 10:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque