Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2021, 07:57 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,735,742 times

Advertisements

[quote=movinon;61623678]So true. And I recently found out that there's a difference between "unscented" and "fragrance free". My dermatologist informed me of that when I developed nummular eczema. I'd been using unscented products but not necessarily fragrance free. The fragrance free is harder to find in some products, like moisturizers, body washes, etc. I use Cetaphil products and that's really been a game changer. He also only recommends All Free and Clear for laundry soap.[/QUOTE I was unsing and unperfumed face cream and it was making me feel tired and sick.. and then I found it contained parabens SLS and other junk.. causing me to feel ill so check on other things too..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2021, 01:40 PM

2,527 posts, read 2,775,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
I was using an unperfumed face cream and it was making me feel tired and sick.. and then I found it contained parabens SLS and other junk.. causing me to feel ill so check on other things too..
Yes! I just found out about the parabens. I purchased a paraben-free shampoo from Tresemme that has made a big difference in my skin - hands, face, scalp of course - wherever the shampoo has touched. I also found a generic paraben-free moisturizer. My hands and feet, especially, have never been better. The eczema is doing better, but then it's cold weather here so I suspect that when hot weather returns it will too. But the incessant itching isn't nearly as severe as it was. I think the paraben-free moisturizer has a lot to do with that.

It's just a never-ending battle, as you well know. I appreciate the tip . . . we're our own best advocates and research lab.

Old 12-19-2021, 06:25 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,862,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
So, the bed itself then?
Yup, unfortunately it’s your bed. Memory Foam gives off all kinds of chemicals and irritants.
You will continue to itch and not be able to sleep.
Then when you add in the sheets, blankets, pillow cases, and headboard (if it’s fabric); they all probably contribute additionally to triggering the painful allergies.

Old 12-25-2021, 06:00 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,529,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movinon View Post
Yes! I just found out about the parabens. I purchased a paraben-free shampoo from Tresemme that has made a big difference in my skin - hands, face, scalp of course - wherever the shampoo has touched. I also found a generic paraben-free moisturizer. My hands and feet, especially, have never been better. The eczema is doing better, but then it's cold weather here so I suspect that when hot weather returns it will too. But the incessant itching isn't nearly as severe as it was. I think the paraben-free moisturizer has a lot to do with that.

It's just a never-ending battle, as you well know. I appreciate the tip . . . we're our own best advocates and research lab.

Can you share the name of the moisturizer please?

In the winter, my daughter and I suffer with dry, cut up hands. Seems to be as soon as the heat comes on. My initial thought was the duct work needed cleaning but that wouldn't make sense because the AC comes through the same ducts.

My daughter washes her hands way too often. It's like an OCD thing for her. Every time she smokes, she's washing her hands. She uses way too much soap. The sink is filled with bubbles when she's done washing her hands. I don't use as much soap, half of a pump, if that. I also wash my hands 75% less than she does.

I've been using Gold Bond healing hand cream, but it's not working so great this year. I just looked at the ingredients, it's a long list. It contains methylparaben, so I looked it up, It says "Parabens mixed in cosmetics serve an important purpose: They prevent harmful mold, bacteria, and fungi from infecting your products. This helps protect you from infections."

I didn't realize there were so many ingredients in it that I'd rather not have like alcohol and petroleum products.

I've tried udder cream and bag balm, neither work.

gold bond healing hand cream ingredients

Ingredients: Water, Hydroxyethyl Urea, Glycerin, Stearyl Alcohol, Dimethicone, Petrolatum, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Glyceryl Stearate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Steareth-21, Tocopheryl Acetate, Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Niacinamide, Panthenol, Jojoba Esters, Distearyldimonium Chloride, Stearamidopropyl PG-Dimonium Chloride Phosphate, Ceramide 2, Polysorbate 60, Methyl Gluceth-2, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Propylene Glycol, Cetyl Alcohol, Hydrolyzed Jojoba Esters, Diazolidinyl Urea, Silk Amino Acids, Methylparaben, Potassium Hydroxide, Cocodimonium Hydroxypropyl Hydrolyzed Rice Protein, Propylparaben, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Tribehenin, Butylene Glycol, PEG-10 Phytosterol, Fragrance, EDTA, Palmitoyl Hexapeptide-12.

Old 12-25-2021, 10:02 AM

2,527 posts, read 2,775,193 times
I, too, tried just about every product out there, including steroid creams under gloves per my dermatologist. I couldn't get the cracks healed up no matter what I did. I used all the livestock products like Bag Balm, and Aquaphor, straight vaseline, Working Hands, Gold Bond, you name it. If it's out there I tried it.

The petroleum products are hard to escape. I'd prefer not to have them myself but I've had to accept them in some products, like lip balm for example, as they're used to replace beeswax. I can't use any products with beeswax due to my severe bee allergies. Yep, you read that right . . . allergy to bee stings can cause reactions to any bee products, including honey. You should have seen me after I used Burt's Bees lip gloss prior to finding out I was allergic to bee stings! I was quite the red and swollen sight.

The moisturizer I referred to above is Equate beauty Advanced Recovery Body Lotion (italics theirs) from Walmart. It's generic for Vaseline Intensive Care Advanced Repair which curiously didn't do the trick for me. It does contain petrolatum and alcohol, though. I've just been using it on my feet and hands as I found it sort of sticky and heavy as an all-over body lotion. But that might just be me.

For the all-over body lotion I've been using another Equate beauty product called Gentle Lotion which is generic for Cetaphil. It's paraben, alcohol, and fragrance free. I really like it. It's lighter than the one I mentioned above. The equivalent Cetaphil body lotion has avocado oil in it, which once again is something I can't use due to my latex allergy as avocado is a strong cross-reactor. But it might be just fine for "normal" people! The Equate version is less pricey, too, which never hurts.

Body wash is Cetaphil's Ultra Gentle Body Wash. It's fragrance-free and paraben free as far as I can tell - there are no obvious parabens on the label. It does contain SLS, though. It's also avocado free which obviously makes it safe for me.

I mention all these products as it might not be only whatever hand cleanser or moisturizer one uses that causes problems. Heck, it could even be something in hair conditioners, or styling products or a dozen other things that we touch daily. I also am strict about using gloves (in my case Nitrile due to the latex allergy) whenever I wash anything by hand whether it be pots and pans or something fragile in Woolite. That maybe helping too.

For handwashing, I've been using a bar soap made by Shugar Soapworks. It's a plant-based soap which comes in several "flavors", like lemon, oatmeal, coconut, etc. I think it's helped too. I can get it at the 99Cent Store, believe it or not. One other thing I did out of desperation was to refill the liquid soap bottle in my guest bath with a mixture of the dregs of the Soft Soap that was in there with baby shampoo. When there was a shortage of liquid soap last year due to Covid, I needed to refill that bottle and the only thing I had was the baby shampoo which I'd also tried as a face cleanser. So mix them I did and it made a nice light soap. I don't know if that would help your daughter's hands but it might be worth a try.

Hope that helps. Have a wonderful holiday!

Old 12-29-2021, 02:31 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,186,934 times
Try spraying down your mattress with a cheap vodka. It's recommended for clothing to disinfect and freshen. Probably be good for your mattress too.

I don't use commercial soaps anymore. I've been buying online from a small independent maker. Goat milk soap is the best. Laughing Goat is the name.

https://www.renwald.com/fresh-goat-milk

Old 12-30-2021, 09:51 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,735,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Can you share the name of the moisturizer please?

In the winter, my daughter and I suffer with dry, cut up hands. Seems to be as soon as the heat comes on. My initial thought was the duct work needed cleaning but that wouldn't make sense because the AC comes through the same ducts.

My daughter washes her hands way too often. It's like an OCD thing for her. Every time she smokes, she's washing her hands. She uses way too much soap. The sink is filled with bubbles when she's done washing her hands. I don't use as much soap, half of a pump, if that. I also wash my hands 75% less than she does.

I've been using Gold Bond healing hand cream, but it's not working so great this year. I just looked at the ingredients, it's a long list. It contains methylparaben, so I looked it up, It says "Parabens mixed in cosmetics serve an important purpose: They prevent harmful mold, bacteria, and fungi from infecting your products. This helps protect you from infections."

I didn't realize there were so many ingredients in it that I'd rather not have like alcohol and petroleum products.

I've tried udder cream and bag balm, neither work.

gold bond healing hand cream ingredients

Ingredients: Water, Hydroxyethyl Urea, Glycerin, Stearyl Alcohol, Dimethicone, Petrolatum, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Glyceryl Stearate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Steareth-21, Tocopheryl Acetate, Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Niacinamide, Panthenol, Jojoba Esters, Distearyldimonium Chloride, Stearamidopropyl PG-Dimonium Chloride Phosphate, Ceramide 2, Polysorbate 60, Methyl Gluceth-2, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Propylene Glycol, Cetyl Alcohol, Hydrolyzed Jojoba Esters, Diazolidinyl Urea, Silk Amino Acids, Methylparaben, Potassium Hydroxide, Cocodimonium Hydroxypropyl Hydrolyzed Rice Protein, Propylparaben, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Tribehenin, Butylene Glycol, PEG-10 Phytosterol, Fragrance, EDTA, Palmitoyl Hexapeptide-12.
Try Doublebase.. cheap and works with less dodgy ingredients.

Old 01-02-2022, 08:35 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,205,038 times
Expose your mattress, sprinkle with baking soda to help freshen it....vacuum it up.

If that isn't enough....Steam clean your mattress. I invested in a Shark steam cleaner appliance, less than 100...You can use many places. Also, wash your bedding in Dawn dish soap. This is often used for pets bathes because it kills bugs. See if that helps.

Don't use any bug sprays on your mattress or bedding...it could cause a reaction.

Try to use 100% cotton sheets and such...And always wash your bedding in hot water.

As far as lotions...I love Nivea....the dark blue cold cream jar container is thicker creamer lotion....and very pure for your skin. See if that helps. Walmart would sell it.

Old 01-03-2022, 05:58 AM

4,140 posts, read 3,046,164 times
I use a plastic cover on my bed springs, and a cloth dust mite cover on my mattress. I also use a mattress pad that can be washed as needed.

Old 01-08-2022, 05:05 PM

4,140 posts, read 3,046,164 times
Do not dry your bed sheets outside, where they will pick up dust & pollen. Wash your body & hair before going to bed so that you are not bringing dust & pollen to bed with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies