Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2022, 01:58 PM

21,831 posts, read 25,109,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
The car vending machine was for sold cars. You would go pick it up at one if you wanted. It was a marketing gimmick.
Yup, just something people would talk about that crazy car vending machine. It worked pretty well as a marketing gimmick. But gimmicks are just gimmicks. Ultimately the business model of 7-day test drives and delivering cars to driveways is expensive and then there's all the problems they had with handling the paperwork. You just can't sell as many stolen and salvaged vehicles as Carvana was doing and keep operating. Be it fraud or I think more likely just incompetence you just can't do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2022, 02:07 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,467,480 times
Edmund.com published an article once,they sent a guy to go thru the buying experience from a car dealer.
There are just too many gimmicks and tricks and lies when you go to a car dealer,the way the salesman commish is structured just make them more anxious to seal deals.

Old 11-23-2022, 02:45 PM

9,512 posts, read 9,079,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Whenever I’d read posts, on CD and elsewhere, about people selling their cars to Carvana, I’d usually shake my head and say a Carvana paid them too much.

When looking on the Carvana site and other sites on the same day….their prices always seemed too high in comparison.

Some people on CD lauded their warranty, but I never heard if that was administered by a third party or not.

If not, will the warranties be lost to customers in bankruptcy ?
The whole concept was bad. Caravan offered way too much money in buying so easy to sell.

And for selling, they sold defective cars. Bought one in early Covid, for high dollars but low mileage. It was a lemon with bad computer. Stopped at an intersection a couple times and took minutes to restart, called Carvana the same week as purchase, to pick up their boat anchor. They quickly picked up car with full refund.

They buy cars unseen so they bought a lemon and now they were stuck with a lemon. Horrible business model.

Old 11-23-2022, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Yup, just something people would talk about that crazy car vending machine. It worked pretty well as a marketing gimmick. But gimmicks are just gimmicks. Ultimately the business model of 7-day test drives and delivering cars to driveways is expensive and then there's all the problems they had with handling the paperwork. You just can't sell as many stolen and salvaged vehicles as Carvana was doing and keep operating. Be it fraud or I think more likely just incompetence you just can't do it.
They expanded too fast and new workers are not well trained,also some of the cars still have titles of the previous owners .

Old 11-23-2022, 02:56 PM

5,341 posts, read 14,135,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyfromnc View Post
They'll go to wholesale dealer auctions and be purchased by other dealerships.

Carvana currently has about 55,000 vehicles in its nationwide inventory. That's but a blip on the overall market.
^^^this

Old 11-23-2022, 04:04 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,553,208 times
Bubble company.

I had 3 cars for last five years, decided one night to see what I could get for one of them online. Carvana picked it up two days later from my driveway.

$20,000 for a 7 year old VW GTI with 72k miles. Excellent shape, but damn.

I had 3 cars because when I tried to upgrade the GTI in 2017 (then 2 years old with 33k miles) for a new VW Toureq, it was only worth $13k because nobody bought used cars anymore, thanks to subprime lending in the automotive world at that time. So, 5 years later and nearly 40k more miles, it was worth $7k more?

Bubble company…

Old 11-23-2022, 05:04 PM

9,499 posts, read 4,334,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I could never understand how anyone could buy a car without seeing it, test driving it, and comparing it to others. When the interest rates went up, it slowed sales, and the smaller subset of buyers that will purchase sight unseen is just not enough to pay the bills.
They bring the car to your house and you test drive it prior to taking delivery. Precisely like buying from a brick-and-mortar dealer. You then have 7 days to see if you like it. If you don't, they come back to your house and pick it up. No cost to you. Try that at a regular dealer. Not sure what the point of your post is supposed to be. The bolded part is simply wrong.

Old 11-24-2022, 06:05 PM

4,958 posts, read 2,234,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I could never understand how anyone could buy a car without seeing it, test driving it, and comparing it to others. When the interest rates went up, it slowed sales, and the smaller subset of buyers that will purchase sight unseen is just not enough to pay the bills.
Carvana allows return within 7 days, 400ish miles. You can go over on miles but they will charge you for it. I purchased a Jeep Sahara from Carvana in June 22 and returned it immediately due to mildew and a very leaky roof. I swapped it for a Nissan Frontier that had previous frame damage and poorly welded repair. The return process worked well, but Carvana clearly does not conduct 150-point inspections.

Old 11-24-2022, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
Bubble company.

I had 3 cars for last five years, decided one night to see what I could get for one of them online. Carvana picked it up two days later from my driveway.

$20,000 for a 7 year old VW GTI with 72k miles. Excellent shape, but damn.

I had 3 cars because when I tried to upgrade the GTI in 2017 (then 2 years old with 33k miles) for a new VW Toureq, it was only worth $13k because nobody bought used cars anymore, thanks to subprime lending in the automotive world at that time. So, 5 years later and nearly 40k more miles, it was worth $7k more?

Bubble company…
You sold your car at the time when used cars are hot,new cars are scarce due to part shortage.

Old 11-24-2022, 07:21 PM

If third party is providing the warranty,I doubt it will still honor it after CVNA went under,depends on the terms of your warranty,it is really CVNA offering you the warranty,though it sourced it out to third party
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive