Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2022, 12:41 PM

510 posts, read 448,228 times

Advertisements

With carvana going bankrupt who will buy their excess inventory and will prices go down if this floods the used car market?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2022, 12:46 PM

3,318 posts, read 2,338,253 times
They'll go to wholesale dealer auctions and be purchased by other dealerships.

Carvana currently has about 55,000 vehicles in its nationwide inventory. That's but a blip on the overall market.

Old 11-22-2022, 12:47 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,213,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inquisitive2 View Post
With carvana going bankrupt who will buy their excess inventory and will prices go down if this floods the used car market?
Aren't their cars already on the used car market? How does someone else buying their cars and trying to sell them change the supply of used car inventory? No cars are being created or destroyed, just a change in the name of who is selling them.

Old 11-22-2022, 12:49 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,474,875 times
if they file bankrutcy,the creditors own its inventory and it will be liquidated and proceeds used to pay creditors.

Old 11-22-2022, 01:33 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,147,605 times
I could never understand how anyone could buy a car without seeing it, test driving it, and comparing it to others. When the interest rates went up, it slowed sales, and the smaller subset of buyers that will purchase sight unseen is just not enough to pay the bills.

Old 11-22-2022, 02:22 PM

327 posts, read 236,413 times
I was beginning to think I was old fashioned when wanting to see and test drive a car in person before signing anything.

Perhaps I am not that old fashioned... yet.

Old 11-22-2022, 02:47 PM

1,936 posts, read 821,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyfromnc View Post
They'll go to wholesale dealer auctions and be purchased by other dealerships.

Carvana currently has about 55,000 vehicles in its nationwide inventory. That's but a blip on the overall market.
I think Manheim Orlando has that many on their grounds every week

Old 11-22-2022, 03:21 PM

68 posts, read 55,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I could never understand how anyone could buy a car without seeing it, test driving it, and comparing it to others. When the interest rates went up, it slowed sales, and the smaller subset of buyers that will purchase sight unseen is just not enough to pay the bills.
I'm with you on that. There's only so much you can tell about a vehicle by researching it online. Are the seats comfortable? Is it easy to get in & out of? Are the controls well-placed and intuitive? All very much individual preferences, and not to be taken for granted.

Old 11-22-2022, 05:37 PM

12,971 posts, read 9,489,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDrums View Post
I was beginning to think I was old fashioned when wanting to see and test drive a car in person before signing anything.

Perhaps I am not that old fashioned... yet.
I do that even with a new car.

Old 11-22-2022, 06:03 PM

21,873 posts, read 25,129,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Well, you have a 7-day test drive. One the one hand that's really convenient as it's hard to get a good feel for a car in 30 minutes. Where I'm able to I like to rent a car on Turo or whatnot for few days. Some traditional dealers likewise offer extended test drive rentals for customers. Tough business to do as there's a lot non-serious joy riders. Probably a good part of why Carvana's prices are so ridiculously high is how much the 7-day test drives cost them, although I do imagine after the second test drive they don't want to do business with you anymore.

That's kind of an in theory argument though for Carvana. Given their... issues... well, there's just companies that you'd have to be a fool to do business with. Carvana is one of them. As much as theoretically the 7-day test drives is great, not a company to do business with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive