Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2022, 06:34 AM

11,474 posts, read 5,995,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
Bubble company.

I had 3 cars for last five years, decided one night to see what I could get for one of them online. Carvana picked it up two days later from my driveway.

$20,000 for a 7 year old VW GTI with 72k miles. Excellent shape, but damn.

I had 3 cars because when I tried to upgrade the GTI in 2017 (then 2 years old with 33k miles) for a new VW Toureq, it was only worth $13k because nobody bought used cars anymore, thanks to subprime lending in the automotive world at that time. So, 5 years later and nearly 40k more miles, it was worth $7k more?

Bubble company…
Enlightening. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2022, 07:14 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,584,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Aren't their cars already on the used car market? How does someone else buying their cars and trying to sell them change the supply of used car inventory? No cars are being created or destroyed, just a change in the name of who is selling them.
If the cars are sold at auction, they will be priced to sell quickly, temporarily increasing supply. But a quick estimate suggests that the effective increase in supply is still only about 0.0005 cars per licensed driver nationwide. So not much.

Old 11-26-2022, 07:23 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,478,124 times
There are different kinds of auctions,dealers auction are better cars and higher price,they then resell to us.

Old 11-26-2022, 07:54 AM

6,554 posts, read 7,133,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
If the cars are sold at auction, they will be priced to sell quickly, temporarily increasing supply. But a quick estimate suggests that the effective increase in supply is still only about 0.0005 cars per licensed driver nationwide. So not much.
You have to only compare it to the amount of vehicles currently for sale. When they flood the market via Manhiem auctions with 10k Camry’s…the price of Camry’s will drop in value. It costs dealers a lot of money each month to have one vehicle for sale. I posted a video from a car dealer owner who breaks down each cost to put a vehicle on the lot, it goes up each month it sits.

Old 11-26-2022, 08:06 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,216,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Those cars were previously on the market already. Going into bankruptcy would take them off the market for the transition, temporarily decreasing supply. Putting them back on the market is simply restoring the previous supply. We're not talking about a rental car dump where the cars were not previously on the market. The average supply overall will not be affected by Carvana bankruptcy. If anything it will be decreased as some of the cars will be scrapped. Dealers can destroy autos but cannot create autos.

Old 11-26-2022, 08:50 AM

6,554 posts, read 7,133,096 times
One big problem is what about all these vehicles they have without titles…

Old 11-26-2022, 10:12 AM

6,442 posts, read 3,143,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
One big problem is what about all these vehicles they have without titles…
Yup, especially if they file BK, and leave those titles hanging in limbo. What a fiasco THAT could turn into!

Old 11-26-2022, 08:13 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,990,305 times
Quote:
You're thinking 2020, last year was fine. Few cars were being sold in 2020. And if that was the reason then ALL dealerships would have been having the same problem.
Exactly! Carvana's issue isn't with DMVs, it appears to be with their own inability to process required paperwork. It sounds like (based on what states that have suspended their sales ability are saying) Carvana is in a nice neat box as far as DMV processing is concerned and anything that is not within that nice neat computerized box is beyond their staffs ability to handle. When anything cases a bump, that particular sale's DMV processing is thrown into a corner in hopes it disappears. Worst is when they try to appease the customer, they do it in ways that violate the law.

Quote:
TIf anything it will be decreased as some of the cars will be scrapped. Dealers can destroy autos but cannot create autos.
That is actually a consideration. The value of the vehicle whole is not as much as the vehicle in pieces. Carvana can always part out vehicles with high parts demand. Who knows, Carvana's vending machines may soon be dispensing door panels, powertrains, headlight assemblies, fenders, etc.

Old 11-27-2022, 12:46 AM

2,512 posts, read 1,297,310 times
Quote:
You're thinking 2020, last year was fine. Few cars were being sold in 2020. And if that was the reason then ALL dealerships would have been having the same problem.
Other dealerships may not sell out-of-state cars.

When I asked a dealership seller in Arizona if he could register my new car in California, he immediately refused. He sent the papers to Arizona DMV. Then, Arizona DMV was supposed to send a new title to me, but it didn't because the address was incorrect.

Old 11-27-2022, 06:56 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,216,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenze View Post
Other dealerships may not sell out-of-state cars.

When I asked a dealership seller in Arizona if he could register my new car in California, he immediately refused. He sent the papers to Arizona DMV. Then, Arizona DMV was supposed to send a new title to me, but it didn't because the address was incorrect.
Autonation and Carmax are nationwide dealers. When I was looking for a truck last year, I didn't like the trim levels and features prevalent in our region so I started checking with various out of state dealers and all of them (Utah, Indiana, and others) said no problem selling and registering in Texas. Besides, that doesn't negate what I said. Carvana's title issues are not confined to particular states and if a given state is closed/slow to process titles for Carvana it would be closed/slow for all dealers in that state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive