Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2024, 08:45 AM

3,661 posts, read 2,938,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Mazda6 was discontinued. It has a well earned reputation as being the standout driver's car of the midsize sedans. But it was also far behind in many areas and very old when it was discontinued. It's a poor used car choice due to it being old and outdated with high used prices.

Altima is junky also ran. It might be worth the discount value buy. The only reason to get it was Nissan had a great V6 engine. That went away in 2018 so the only reason to get an Altima since then is a large discount.

Accord - driver's car
Camry - Stodgy reliable practical car
Sonata and K5 - Baubles. If you want all the options, best value for loaded cars with all the options.
Legacy - Snow.
Altima - Big Altima discounts.

Accord is very boring to me. I had a 2006 Accord V6 stick shift. Got it new and drove it at 113k miles. Never one second of issue. Slick, engine sounding great, fast but it was lacking in any kind of soul to me. I never felt connected to the road or a sense it was fun. You may wonder why I did not ditch it, It was a lease and at the time I racked up so many miles I ended up buying it out or I would have gotten something more fun.

I never went with a Honda car after that. I thought the Kia Rio as a rental was more fun to drive around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2024, 08:55 AM

3,661 posts, read 2,938,725 times
As for Nissan Being Junk, I also have a Nissan Cube. That thing is really nice to own if you live in the city where parking is tight and you need something small and nimble. I have never had a car that could u turn and parallel park so easy. Its actually care free driving since you have no blind spots, can fit in pretty much any parking spot, easy to get in and out of and is kind of fun unless you need to go fast. This is why I like the Nissan Kicks. It has all these things, except these little cars are not cheap anymore. Hyundai Venue is probably the same but the Kicks has a better interior feel to me and more airy.

Old 03-22-2024, 10:01 PM

1,976 posts, read 6,854,050 times
I think the newer Nissan would be a better car.
We bought a Mazda CX-5 due to the driving dynamics and having a conventional automatic transmission. It had quite a few problems, from high pressure fuel pump to sensors and also the radio developing a ghosting issue (well known problem along most Mazda cars). The same issues with my friend's CX-5 and also coworkers Mazda 3. I had an older CX-9 that was a fine car and my friend had good luck with his older 3.
What I am trying to say is that buying a car based on good reviews doesn't always turn out great. There is the zoom zoom and then there is idling in the shop problem.
We bought a Nissan Rogue sport during the COVID shortage and it has been fine so far-knock on wood. I actually like driving the car.
I had a rental Altima 6 months ago and it was a fine car. Nicely equipped and got good mileage. Might not go 200K miles but then if you save $5K upfront, you will probably still come out ahead.

Old 03-25-2024, 08:08 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,676,557 times
Ghosting is not common for Mazda's.

My CX5 has been the most reliable car I've ever had.

The Mazda will be way more fun to drive, too.

Look at any reliability chart or survey...Mazda is never below Nissan on any of them.

Still say Mazda is the smart play if OP is still even looking.

Old 03-25-2024, 09:50 AM

21,830 posts, read 25,109,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
What is outdated and behind with the Mazda6?
Pretty much everything. Mazda6 came out in 2012.

It was supposed to be replaced in 2022 with the new one being a turbo inline 6, RWD based off the CX-60. Mazda has a limited budget, however. They still sell the Mazda6 despite it being 12 years old in some markets. Sedans don't sell well here though to beging with. In comparison the 9th generation Accord also came out in 2013 and is now on the 11th generation. Putting a 9th gen Accord up against the 11th gen, it would likewise be outdated.

Old 03-25-2024, 02:05 PM

16,544 posts, read 19,676,557 times
So...because they didn't update the body "Pretty much everything" is outdated?

Again, let's talk features. If you're lucky enough to score a Signature Edition (currently 66 listed nationwide on cars.com) there's not a single thing any Nissan has that it does not.
AA/ACP, Heated and ventilated seats, HUD, front and rear parking sensors, 360 camera, Blind Spot Monitors.
They absolutely kept updating the tech on those cars. It's hardly 2012 on the inside...and the looks still hold up in person, imo.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/b...-dbc27560e87e/

Old 03-25-2024, 09:33 PM

1,976 posts, read 6,854,050 times
I think the point of the OP is comparing the reliability and life expectancy of a NEW Altima vs a 2021 Mazda which would be 3-4 yrs old depending on the manufacturing date. The used car would have to be maintained very well otherwise if is an iffy bet. The OP could buy the brand new car and maintain it very well and hopefully get a good life out of it.

I would also look at the cost of insurance and also factor in gas mileage in the equation even though it is probably going to be very similar.

Then there is the emotional part-how do they drive which would require a test drive, ideally a long one.

Old 03-26-2024, 10:52 AM

21,830 posts, read 25,109,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
So...because they didn't update the body "Pretty much everything" is outdated?

Again, let's talk features. If you're lucky enough to score a Signature Edition (currently 66 listed nationwide on cars.com) there's not a single thing any Nissan has that it does not.
AA/ACP, Heated and ventilated seats, HUD, front and rear parking sensors, 360 camera, Blind Spot Monitors.
They absolutely kept updating the tech on those cars. It's hardly 2012 on the inside...and the looks still hold up in person, imo.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/b...-dbc27560e87e/
4Runner is another classic example. They updated the interior and fitted new tech, but it's a 2009 and very dated. Not really much competition though, plus the 4Runner benefits from being in a hot market segment versus a sedan. Despite being 15 years and feeling every bit its age, it still sells very well. It's basically doing its own thing that nobody else is doing. The xTerra is gone, Pathfinder and Explorer went softer CUVs. Mazda6 sales were slumping so it went the way of the similar aged Ford Fusion into extinction. Just how it goes. It's tough selling a 2012 in 2021 even if you put a new bumper on it fit it with some updated gizmos hoping the 360 camera will distract people from that it's a 2012 being sold in 2021.

Old 03-26-2024, 12:21 PM

4,416 posts, read 2,938,422 times
Ended up buying a 2022 Camry SE. But I’m already wishing I would have purchased the Mazda6 for the more luxurious look.

Old 03-27-2024, 12:53 AM

10,437 posts, read 6,964,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
Ended up buying a 2022 Camry SE. But I’m already wishing I would have purchased the Mazda6 for the more luxurious look.
Congrats on the Camry, not fun, but it probably is the best choice out of the 3.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive