Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2024, 06:45 AM

4,415 posts, read 2,937,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Congrats on the Camry, not fun, but it probably is the best choice out of the 3.
What do you mean by not fun?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2024, 07:37 AM

3,657 posts, read 2,937,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
What do you mean by not fun?
I rented it before, the LE one not the SE. Same 2.5 motor. I guess its a comfortable reliable car but not something you get in and say lets go for a ride. But it certainly is a nice car.

I think that Kia 5 GT turbo is the one to get and a sleeper out there. That 1.6T turbo revs out so nicely and def something to look foward to. Enterprise use to have it available but its been out of rental fleet for a while now.

Old 03-27-2024, 10:14 AM

4,503 posts, read 2,651,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00molavi View Post
I think the point of the OP is comparing the reliability and life expectancy of a NEW Altima vs a 2021 Mazda which would be 3-4 yrs old depending on the manufacturing date. The used car would have to be maintained very well otherwise if is an iffy bet. The OP could buy the brand new car and maintain it very well and hopefully get a good life out of it.

I would also look at the cost of insurance and also factor in gas mileage in the equation even though it is probably going to be very similar.

Then there is the emotional part-how do they drive which would require a test drive, ideally a long one.
Geez, you act like a three year old Mazda is on the verge of falling apart or something! Balderdash!

I will say that I have test driven Altimas at several different times through the years and they always struck me as big cheap tinny boxes. They may be stone axe reliable, I don't know, but they just felt cheap and flimsy. By contrast the comparable Toyotas felt solid and better made.

Old 03-27-2024, 02:35 PM

807 posts, read 688,549 times
Quote:
I'm looking for a new car and like Mazda6 and Altimas, and the2021 Mazda6 cost the same as a brand new Nissan Altima. It seems obvious that a new Altima is the way to go, but most online reviews say Mazda's are better cars. Now I don't know which to purchase.
I wouldn't trust a modern Nissan any farther than I can throw it. Nissan peddles to subprime buyers who don't know anything about cars and can't get approved at Honda or Toyota dealerships, but need to have a new car. It also made the brilliant decision of stuffing possibly the worst CVTs ever designed into almost all of its cars. Both of those moves have killed Nissan's quality and brand image. Honestly couldn't recommend avoiding a brand more than Nissan (other than maybe Mitsubishi).

The Mazda would be a far superior car. Much better build quality and proven mechanical simplicity. Yeah there are lemons out there, just like there are Nissans that somehow don't have any huge dents in the front bumpers, but by and large the 6 is a way better car long term.

Edit - the Camry is a way better buy than an Altima would have been. Personally still would have gone with a Mazda6 but the Toyota was a solid choice.

Old 03-27-2024, 05:21 PM

4,415 posts, read 2,937,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas_n View Post
I wouldn't trust a modern Nissan any farther than I can throw it. Nissan peddles to subprime buyers who don't know anything about cars and can't get approved at Honda or Toyota dealerships, but need to have a new car. It also made the brilliant decision of stuffing possibly the worst CVTs ever designed into almost all of its cars. Both of those moves have killed Nissan's quality and brand image. Honestly couldn't recommend avoiding a brand more than Nissan (other than maybe Mitsubishi).

The Mazda would be a far superior car. Much better build quality and proven mechanical simplicity. Yeah there are lemons out there, just like there are Nissans that somehow don't have any huge dents in the front bumpers, but by and large the 6 is a way better car long term.

Edit - the Camry is a way better buy than an Altima would have been. Personally still would have gone with a Mazda6 but the Toyota was a solid choice.
Why would you have gone with the Mazda6? The only thing I didn’t like about the Mazda is the infotainment screen was kind of small and rear camera had poor resolution. And you can’t touch the screen while driving. But I liked the look better. The Camry was more of a sporty look and I would have gone with a more luxurious look.

Old 03-27-2024, 05:51 PM

807 posts, read 688,549 times
Quote:
Why would you have gone with the Mazda6? The only thing I didn’t like about the Mazda is the infotainment screen was kind of small and rear camera had poor resolution. And you can’t touch the screen while driving. But I liked the look better. The Camry was more of a sporty look and I would have gone with a more luxurious look.
Fun to drive is basically the only thing that matters to me in a car, and Mazdas are generally considered to be the sportiest and most fun to drive in the segments they compete in. Plus build quality is said to be excellent and I think Mazdas are usually the most premium-looking out of all Japanese automakers, especially compared to Nissans which look like cheap plastic sh!tboxes and age extremely fast.

Old 03-27-2024, 08:52 PM

I don’t know I get in my Altima SR and I love it, I park it away from everyone. It drove nicer than my old Accord V6 stick shift. I also had a Mazda 6 6 cylinder stick. I didn’t like it much either. Glad we all have different options out there. Mazda just don’t have a mix of comfort and luxury to me. It’s all towards sport which I don’t need since there is too much traffic to enjoy that.

I get insulted all the time owning a Nissan, I don’t get it. There are lots of cars I don’t like but I really don’t care to insult anyone over it.

Regarding that CVT , I love the one in my 16 Altima. It’s butter smooth and the stock exhaust sounds terrific to me.

Old 03-27-2024, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Jasper View Post
My wife just purchased a 24 Altima SR with the luxury package to replace her 2014 Maxima. We miss the V6 but the Altima is powerful enough at a decent price ($29,100 after negotiation).
The 24 ALTIMA SR is solid, and the Maxima you had as well. People love to hate on us Nissan owners cause they have issues

Old 03-27-2024, 09:37 PM

I did not know Nissan had reputations until I got my Altima SR last year. I have rented a few generations of Altimas and they always felt fun with light steering and go get at it handling. Or easy handling to me without having unnecessary heft to the steering. I had the Cube for almost 8 years, absolutely trouble free still. Its at 115k and in all this time only had to replace a one broken motor mount and nothing else but belts, brakes, fluids, tires. battery. The CVT did not fall out on the freeway LOL. I still have that POS, I hope someone steals it. I need the insurance money!!

And the no credit get a car at your Nissan Dealer offers. I did not know about that either or I would have gotten a few for my illegal alien friends LOL. I have a few more last 3 years thank to that dope Biden : )

I might as well have a laugh or two at myself or other Nissan owners out there. Hey if you not having fun, what's the point. I want more jokes!!

Old 03-28-2024, 02:21 PM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
What a strange coincidence...
My sister just bought a fully loaded Altima actually. The SL AWD. It is very nice. I am impressed.

It was like $35K.

I'd still take a Mazda 6 Signature (and ONLY the Signature as it is also fully loaded) over her Altima. I would take the Altima over any other Mazda 6.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive