Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 10:03 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,471,200 times

Advertisements

The 30k service is a large part of that figure, but with most cars at the dealership $150-$200 service visits are not out of the norm, what with the loaner cars (allegedly free), and the more parts to replace (cabin filters, etc.). And, one thing to remember a car with mileage approaching 50k miles is not new, despite one purchasing it as such. Parts do have a service life cycle within that mileage, so it's not too outrageous when one considers that it's probably going to be 3-4 years of average use to reach that figure.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2009, 09:52 AM

11,396 posts, read 16,787,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
I looked it up for the hell of it. Inspection 1 at 30K is labor intensive:
BMW Service Intervals (http://www.savagebmw.com/Service/content_service_Intervals.htm#I1 - broken link)
Yes it is and BMW loves the "check" word.

Old 10-10-2009, 11:43 AM
miu

17,772 posts, read 40,254,884 times
The new BMW cars don't have an oil dip stick. Only the dealership knows how much oil is required for an oil change. Anyway, where the car dealerships make their main profit on is the maintenance and repairs to the cars they sell. And that's why I prefer to keep my old cars. They are simpler in design and we can easily work on them ourselves.

Old 10-10-2009, 02:10 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,307,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
The new BMW cars don't have an oil dip stick. Only the dealership knows how much oil is required for an oil change. Anyway, where the car dealerships make their main profit on is the maintenance and repairs to the cars they sell. And that's why I prefer to keep my old cars. They are simpler in design and we can easily work on them ourselves.
This is pure stupidity, and now I will never buy a BMW. What happens when the car gets older, and the car starts to burn oil? I agree with you, I will keep my old car too.

Old 10-10-2009, 03:26 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,824,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
This is pure stupidity, and now I will never buy a BMW. What happens when the car gets older, and the car starts to burn oil? I agree with you, I will keep my old car too.
You are not alone... many repeat BMW customers have expressed the same feeling

Old 10-10-2009, 03:27 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,824,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
Not by a long shot. FN (fabrique national) in Belgium built shafties starting around 1910.

There's a host of other manufacturers in there, too ... Zundapp, for one. While a later manufacturer, MotoGuzzi is one of my favorites after having owned a few early R-50 and R-60 BMW's (and a stray R-27), then on to V-700/750/850's from MG.

The concept of shaft drive in a two wheeler started with shaft drive bicycles as far back as the 1860's.
I had a Zundapp... that 49cc would really move... Also have a 1939 Wanderer... 97cc with pedals and a 2 spd tank mounted shifter.

Old 10-10-2009, 03:36 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,735,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
There is a proprietary machine at the dealerships that uses sound harmonics on the oil pan, as the sound waves propagate through the oil the frequency changes and the wave unit vector is refracted in different directions. The new manipulated wave signals are picked up through 3 receiving units located in proprietary locations in the engine bay, the signals are then triangulated and analyzed through sophisticated software. Through this procedure they are able to calculate oil mass with such precision and accuracy that the results are within +/- 7.3x10^15 molecules (which varies the mass relative to the oil formula used). This is based on an oil settling time of 35.7 hours in atmospheric pressure at 295.372 Kelvin.

Dipsticks are for fat lazy stupid Americans.

Old 10-10-2009, 10:22 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,455,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
Nope. I own a BMW Z4, and oil changes are around $150 a pop if you let them do it. Oil + service + labor = $$$.

The BMW service ads assume some things, like you drive like a madman if you get the Lexus instead of the BMW. Thing is though, if you're going to get the Lexus first, you really don't want to go fast ... not seriously anyway. The only car they got which is serious is the IS-F, and even then, it is more expensive than a M3, so you shouldn't get it anyway unless you're bonkers. Thus my point is those assumptions are nuts and shouldn't drink the Kool-aid.

Correct on the oil change, incorrect on the price of the IS-F versus the M3.

Old 10-10-2009, 10:25 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,455,420 times
BMW's aren't built for longevity, they are lease cars.

And don't let BMW mislead you, the maintenance isn't "free", it's included in the price of the car.

Old 10-10-2009, 10:33 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,307,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
BMW's aren't built for longevity, they are lease cars.

And don't let BMW mislead you, the maintenance isn't "free", it's included in the price of the car.
While that can be said for the new ones, the old ones were very reliable, especially the E30 like I had with 360,000 miles one the original engine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive