Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 12:57 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,229,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
but I think the worse thing you can do is get back in your car when filling up because it causes a static charge which really can ignite the gas.

Gas Station Fire, Static Electricity Starts a Flash Fire. - YouTube
It's a wonder that there aren't more incidents at gas pumps. On average I see at least one person a month smoking while they fuel their vehicles. The stupidity of some people is truly stunning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2013, 01:25 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,554,229 times
In most states I have been in it is illegal to smoke while at the pump and there are signs saying not leave the pump unattended.

Old 11-27-2013, 03:08 PM

24,471 posts, read 26,003,936 times
And this was in the news today.

Warming up unattended car? May get a ticket

Cops: Leaving your car to warm up could lead to a ticket - CNN.com Video

Old 11-27-2013, 03:45 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,726,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
According to this article, staying by the pump and handling the nozzle can actually increase the risk of fire, which is triggered by the static electricity that you are carrying.

Popular Mechanics - Google Books
Call it paranoia but I always touch the car before opening the fuel door for that very reason.

Old 11-27-2013, 03:47 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,726,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post

So you spend extra money for remote start (on many newer vehicles) so you can get a ticket? Hopefully someone challenges that. My wife does it with her Camaro every morning since it turned cold.

Old 11-27-2013, 04:13 PM

24,471 posts, read 26,003,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
So you spend extra money for remote start (on many newer vehicles) so you can get a ticket? Hopefully someone challenges that. My wife does it with her Camaro every morning since it turned cold.
Looks like many states have this law on the books, lots of stolen cars and some with kids in them.

Old 11-27-2013, 04:35 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
But this has nothing to do with leaving the car while fueling.

Most big fires at gas stations come from people who smoke while pumping gas or who panic and pull the nozzle from their car when the cut off fails, flinging gas everywhere. In both cases, everyone would be safer if the driver wasn't around their car!
what sometimes happens is that the auto shut off on the pump fails, and then fuel is spilled everywhere, which causes a fire hazard. it doesnt happen much these days, but it did happen back in the 70s and 80s with regularity. we had many a gas station fire here in tucson back then because of this very thing. also back then auto shut off pumps were not universal, not every station had them, and those that didnt took off the device that allowed the pumps to run without someone holding the lever in place.

Old 11-27-2013, 05:36 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,229,302 times
Quote:

What about remote starters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
I do it more in the summer. I can take the key out while it's running, lock the wheel and the door, and...

Quote:
Looks like many states have this law on the books, lots of stolen cars and some with kids in them.
...it can't be stolen, any more than any other vehicle.

Old 11-27-2013, 05:46 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,093,624 times
In the last six months I have seen at least 5 gas pumps that did not shut off and spilled gas on the ground. It is against the law in Maryland to leave a fueling car unattended. I believe a lot of stations are stretching out maintenance on their equipment and the equipment failing. SO I am glad to see such laws enforced.

Old 11-27-2013, 05:51 PM

3,072 posts, read 8,023,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
In the last six months I have seen at least 5 gas pumps that did not shut off and spilled gas on the ground. It is against the law in Maryland to leave a fueling car unattended. I believe a lot of stations are stretching out maintenance on their equipment and the equipment failing. SO I am glad to see such laws enforced.
sometimes the pumps don't shut off and gas spills onto the ground. That's why you should never be far away from the fueling operation. Simple, common sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive